1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Study: God's Foreknowledge

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Jarthur 001

I have no interest in discussing the speculation of men concerning did God determine His plan, scripture says He determined it and logic says before His determination, He did not know what He had not yet determined. To argue about this is like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pen.

My pet verse is not 2 Thessalonians 2:13, nor Matthew 23:13, nor Matthew 13:1-23, nor James 2:5, nor 1 Corinthians 1:26-28, nor 1 Peter 1:3-5, and note even 1 Peter 2:9-10. These come up to support my view of our individual election for salvation occurs during our lifetime vice before the foundation of the world.

My pet verse, provided in my profile is John 1:29b.

As to your questions, what is the meaning of :

Through sanctification by the Spirit - this refers to the action of the Holy Spirit to set us apart spiritually by spiritually baptizing us into Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:30 tells us that it is God who puts us "in Christ" we do not put ourselves in. So this refers to "positional sanctification" where God transfers us from the realm of darkness into the kingdom of God. Thus we are chosen "into" salvation with no delay. There can be no delay because of Romans 8:33 which says there can be no charge brought against God's elect. With your view, before someone is saved by the effectual call, they are living and are sinners, but they are elect. So a charge could be brought against them.
    Thus Calvinism is demonstrated false by Romans 8:33. My View, God chooses us during our physical lives based on crediting our faith as righteousness, Romans 4:5, and then spiritually puts us in Christ, the sanctification by the Spirit. Thus God chose you (Thessalonians) from the beginning or as first fruits for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

Who does the sanctifying? God in the person of the Holy Spirit sets us apart by placing us spiritually in Christ.

What does election through sanctification mean? It means God chooses individuals by crediting their faith as righteousness and setting them apart in Christ.

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

so far, you are describing Salvation. and I agree with what you have said thus far.

What type of charge are you referring to?

Of course the Bible says we were chosen before the foundation of the world. (Eph 1:4)
    you seem to be equating the term "chosen," with "saving."

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Really? Let me ask you this, did you in any way speculate that God "obtained" information from something or someone?

Maybe its not. You just quote it a lot as if it is.

Your "support verses" I plan on going through one my one in time. Just now I'm asking about one.
    2 Thessalonians 2:13

I'll add that to the list...

As to your questions, what is the meaning of :

Good...

So the HOLY SPIRIT Places us >>>>>INTO CHRIST
    Right?

Good...So GOD places us>>>>>>IN CHRIST.

Eph 2 says this is JUSTIFICATION and sanctification

1st...Romans 8 does not say this. It is asking who can bring a charge. And that charge has does not have to do with sin, but God atoning power.

But more to your point...So Eph 1...Elect before the foundation of the world ...means we are saved before we are born???????????

This means your view is wrong.

Christ....
    I peter 1:20...
    He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.

Believers..
    Eph 1:4
    For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight

Romans 4 is telling us that the Law cannot save us.

Set apart...for what reason?

Check out Isa 43..

Set apart to believe. And...this is just what your verse says.

through sanctification of the Spirit .....SET APART BY HOLY SPIRIT>>>HIS WORK ALONE.

What comes next???

and belief of the truth

Pretty clear....right?

#163 Jarthur001, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.