1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So we are Baptists, does that mean....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by menageriekeeper, Nov 8, 2011.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

that literature put out by other, Christian, denoms must necessarily be of no use and/or might lead someone away from God by its use?

At point: the Book of Common Prayer.

Is it totally useless?

Just not our style?

A heathen invention?

And if we knock out the use of something invented by Episcoplians, then shouldn't we quit quoting Calvin? After all, his training came from the RC! (yes, I know he never became a priest)

Just how do we Baptists choose from the gamut of theological information that history provides us with?

Feel free to discuss how we choose which holidays to celebrate as well (advent, lent, etc)

(hmm, should I have put this in the history forum?)

2. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Some Baptists want to reject elements because they "look" like they could be bad or because they of their origin. This is a shame and not really rational.

Baptists should not be known for what we reject, but what we embrace. In my opinion, the Abstract Principles outline from a historic perspective what we should unite upon. We are Christian thus we should embrace Christian doctrine like the Scriptures, the Gospel, the Atonement, the Trinity, the 2nd coming of Christ, etc. We are Baptists so we should embrace a unique church governance and a Baptistic view of the ordinances.

Thus, we should be able to embrace Biblical portions of the book of common prayer. Some reject that written prayers are not spontaneous and from the heart. However, I find that some of the spontaneity becomes dry and "routine" instead of from the heart. Prayer books provide depth and richness lacking in most of our prayers. So, we should not reject it, but we should understand positive and negative tendencies of both aspects of our prayer life.

The most harmful among modern Baptists is the utter rejection of a confession and the creeds. This is a rather new invention and one I believe is based upon an irrational presupposition.

We can embrace certain elements that are Biblical for the glory of God.

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

My goodness, no.

We should be, and are, free to read any good and profitable liturature that we come across...irregardless of whether it is Baptist material or not.

We are christians 1st and foremost.

Being "baptist" is secondary

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When it is said well, there is no need to say it again! :thumbs:

Btw, I use the Book of Common Prayer and even a Daily Office in my personal disciplines from time to time. They are wonderful tools. :)

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I might edit the bolded portion to read:

"We are bapists BECAUSE we embrace a unique church governance and a baptistic view of the ordinances."

I think it could be taken the wrong way to say that because we are baptists, we should embrace those things. It seems to imply that if I were a presbyterian, i SHOULD embrace paedobaptism, or if I am a Weslyan, I SHOULD embrace sinless perfection.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a great affection for The Book of Common Prayer (1662 edition) and the Coverdale Psalms.

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Hmm, ya'll all agree with me.

Cool!