1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Freewill Invitation system is a False Gospel

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

John the Baptist was not teaching the gospel period. He was pointing people to Christ. He was the forerunner of Christ.
    Is that what you call the gospel. I thought it was the death, burial and resurrection of Christ!
    Yes, preparing the way for Jesus.
    Can you confess every sin that you have ever committed? If I were a betting man (and I am not), I would bet that there would not be enough bandwith on this forum for you to list them all.

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Confusion to one apparently ignorant of various aspects of Biblcial salvation. Do you really believe regeneration is the same thing as election or election the same thing as justification or justification the same thing as glorification? However, all of them are under the general unbrella term "salvation" and ultimately will be under the term "saved."

You certainly cannot define what you don't understand and certainly cannot distinguish between things that differ when you don't understand what they are. So you are right, it is a useless question to ask you.

This is like asking if something prophesied by God through his prophets could fail to be fulfilled since we believe he prophesied of it before it would come to pass? In both cases the failure would be traced to a fault within both God's own mind, purpose and power. This kind of question reveals the kind of god you believe in.

3. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You are the one who said, "His ministry was entirely different."
    No, DHK, John the Baptist did not have a ministry that was entirely different!

4. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You do not know that the gospel is about how Christ died for our sins! You do not know that that is what the message that saves is. You do not know that preaching Christ crucified is preaching that Christ died for our sins.
    If you do not think that being sorry for your sins is part of believing in Jesus and the message that saves, then why would Jesus die for our sins, if sins are not to be something to be sorry for!

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Many of you folks do not understand biblical repentance. Repentance does not mean to stop sinning, or else none of us has ever repented, for none of us has completely quit sinning.

Repentance is a change of view about one's self. It is abandoning the thought that we can merit salvation, and realizing that we must trust in God's mercy and forgiveness for salvation alone.

If a person looks carefully, they can see this is what John the Baptist was teaching.

Mat 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
    But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
    8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
    9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

First, we see that people confessed their sins. This is repentance, it is giving up on the idea that we are righteous in ourselves and can merit salvation.

Notice what John told the Pharisees and Sadducees. He told them to give up on the idea that they could inherit salvation simply because the were the physical descendants of Abraham. This is what they needed to repent of, the false belief that they were the "elect" simply because they were born Jews. Salvation cannot be merited through good works, neither can it be inherited from your parents, even if they are believers. No, man must recognize his lost condition and trust in God alone for salvation.

Jesus also showed what repentance is.

Luk 13:
    1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
    And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
    3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
    4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
    5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Notice what Jesus told these Jews they needed to repent of. Because Pilate had killed some men, these persons presumed that these persons were terrible sinners and that God allowed them to be killed as a punishment.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye" that they were worse sinners than others? No. Jesus tells them that they need to repent of this false view. Simply because no misfortune had happened to them did not prove they were righteous and in right-standing with God. They needed to realize they were sinners in danger of perishing as well.

He repeated this with those whom the tower fell upon. This in no way proved these unfortunate people were worse sinners than others, and because no such mishap had happened to them does not prove they were righteous with God. They need to repent or turn from this false view and realize they also are sinners in danger of perishing.

You cannot be saved until you first realize you are lost. This is biblical repentance.

#285 Winman, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  6. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I am going to hold you to answer these questions. I will not let you get out of answering them.

7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You are wrong. A person has to repent of their sins.

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Your question makes no sense! Trying to answer your question only makes a fool out of God OR the one asking such a question. If God elected someone like Jeremiah (Jer. 1:5) before he was born and ordained him to be a prophet then the one who chose him is also the one who gave him physical life/birth and the one who preserved him from death to accomplish His purpose or else his words are silly just like your question is irrational. Paul says God chose us TO salvaiton THROUGH sanctification of the Holy Spirit AND belief of the truth so obviously the means are chosen as well as the person and if that person died then the fault lies with God as it is God who appoints the time of death (Heb. 9:27) which makes God the author of confusion and really denies He is God if such a thing were possible.

BTW Winman has correctly defined repentance - read what he says!

9. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Biblicist,

Answer my question to you plainly. Since you believe that you are saved, and was elected before the creation of the world, do you think that you could have died before being regenerated?

Only answer with a yes or a no!

#289 Moriah, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  10. Moriah

Moriah New Member

So then, you ARE claiming that you were saved before being regenerated!

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Indeed they do Moriah, and apart from sincere repentance there is only one fateful end, i.e., to perish, according to the Word of God that is.

Can you even imagine a response to John the Baptist such as DHK gives to us? Can one imagine John's or Christ's responses to the responses of DHK concerning the necessity of repentance? We shall all indeed see such a day, by and by.

12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Your question is foolish. It is the same as asking if God who gives life and takes life could he take your life before His purpose was fulfilled for giving you life! If so, what a messed up God! This is the irrational nonsense involved in your question and if you cannot see a clear answer to that kind of nonsense then God help your blind eyes.

13. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

One doesn't have to repent of one's sins?

Really?

I guess God was not being honest when He told the Israelites to repent of their sins...

Ezekiel 18:30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

The word repent in that verse is the same word as the word turn. And the verse says turn from your transgressions; i.e., sins.

14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Tell Winman WHY he is wrong rather than merely saying he is wrong? I dare you to EXPLAIN why his interpetations are wrong!

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Read carefully what I said above Moriah and think about it before responding.

16. Moriah

Moriah New Member

They cannot get out of what was exposed today about their beliefs…they can only get out of it by repenting of it.

17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Winman knows why I say he is wrong. Has he not been reading posts in this thread?

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Forgive me, but can someone post Winmans thoughts on repentance? Thanks

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I am not denying repentance of sin is involved in gospel conversion. I am not denying that regret for sin "worketh repentance unto salvation". I am simply denying that "godly sorrow" over sin is repentance. Godly sorrow precedes repentance whereas repentance is actually the change of mind toward God from enemity to submission, from unbelief to belief and from love of sin to hate of sin.

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

If he already knows why he is wrong, then why did he make that post? You certainly did not show him why he was wrong you just asserted it. I think you just asserted because you are incapable of proving what he said is wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.