1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Woman attempts to crash car into White House barricade; Dead after chase, shooting

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Oct 3, 2013.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

The woman apparently had a baby in the car with her. The officer was injured when his police car "seriously clipped" a barricade as he was pursing the suspect from the area of the White House. Law enforcement officials are classifying this as "an isolated incident" whatever that means

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess we need stricter gun control laws. Oh, wait, this was in D.C., which has the strictest gun control laws in the nation.

I'll get me coat...

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

I'm glad the first comment along these lines was tongue in cheek. :smilewinkgrin:

Fox is now reporting that the incident began when she tried to run down a Secret Service agent at the White House. Bizarre-er and bizarre-er. (If you all will excuse my coining a word.)

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

What the Capitol shooting says about us

(from denisonforum.org , by Dr. Jim Denison; Oct 04, 2013)

Yesterday afternoon, "government shutdown" took a more ominous meaning as shots were fired at the Capitol. For half an hour, we watched as government employees were sequestered inside their offices. We eventually learned that a woman struck a barrier near the White House, refused to pull her car over, and was chased by police to the Capitol. She was shot and taken to a hospital; a young child was found in her car.

As frightening as this episode was, our initial thoughts are what interest me today.

During the chaos, our staff thought immediately of terrorism. The government shutdown furloughed 70 percent of U.S. intelligence employees, a situation Intelligence Director James Clapper has called "extremely damaging" to our national security. As a result, a terror attack seemed plausible.

While CNN continued its coverage, other news headlines scrolled across the bottom of the screen. Among them: "China: Hornets kill 41, injure 1,500." Another headline: "Scores killed as boat sinks off coast of Italy." Yet another: "14 killed in Nigeria plane crash."

Each of these stories involved far greater danger than the Capitol shooting. Why were they relegated to the bottom of the screen while the shooting occupied our attention?

Longtime House Speaker Tip O'Neill made famous the maxim, "all politics is local." It seems that news coverage is the same. We watch what we think matters to us. Unless giant hornets are invading our community, they are someone else's problem. A boat sinking on the other side of the world is less relevant than a potential terrorist attack on our soil. A plane crash in another country doesn't seem to threaten air safety in ours.

This focus on personal relevance is understandable, of course. The good news is that everywhere is local with God. He feels the pain of hornet stings in China just as much as He understands the fears of bystanders in Washington. Every person who died off the Italian coast was someone for whom His Son died. He knows the name and story of every family grieving their loved ones in Nigeria.

His omniscience is not limited to a news feed on a TV screen. The next time you wonder if God knows your problems and cares about your pain, look to Calvary: "He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" (Romans 8:32). Now He wants us to trust Him with our greatest burdens today, and be His hands and feet for those our neighbor bears: "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2).

Here's the question: Will I ask God to break my heart with what breaks His? Will you?

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

Clapper did his best head-rubbing unconscious routine (in poker, it's call a "tell" and the read is: "I'm lying") in claiming that he had sent "essential personnel" home and could not vouch "for how safe the country is right now." That was Wednesday.

Well, Mr. Clapper, department heads were responsible for identifying "essential personnel" that should remain on the job. If you sent "essential personnel" home, that makes you incompetent. It does nothing to impugn Congressional action, since they had approved your "essential personnel" to remain on the job. In short, you're an idiot.

Fortunately, it appears the incident Thursday was not terrorist related, but instead involved a mentally unstable woman who, unfortunately, "lost it" in the vicinity of the White House and paid for it with her life. She leaves a now-orphaned 18-month-old daughter who will forever have to wonder what was wrong with Mommy, and why she wouldn't stay on her meds.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO, they did not have to shoot her. she was unarmed, except for the car. she did not point a gun at any officer, and there was a baby in the car. or does the fact that she was in the vicinity of the white house change certain R'sOE?
    why ?
    those who have served know that one of their rules is they don't fire unless they're fired upon and they are in combat zones where most of those around them really want to kill them, so what's so special about being in the vicinity of the white house ?
    and what's all this bull about not knowing there was a child inside ? from what I hear that car had an out of state (not DC, not VA, not MD) license plate, so she couldn't have driven all those miles without a trooper spotting her driving unsafely with a minor in the car, meaning no booster seat, no nothing for the kid, which means the kid was tethered safely, that plus the fact that the car is not as tall as an SUV so it makes it necessary for a shooter to assume a certain position (crouched ? knees bent ? one foot forward ?), makes the "we didn't know there was a baby inside" dubious.
    they didn't have to shoot the lady. they overreacted.
    they coulda just boxed her in from all sides, and waited it out.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

Normally, I'd agree with you, but this incident appears different to me from several angles.

Which she attempted to use as a deadly weapon by driving into a uniformed Secret Service agent.

Rules of engagement are dictated by the situation and are not uniform for all situations. There are situations, in combat and in law enforcement, where you shoot first and ask questions later. More on that as we continue.

Hardly. As for the "cross country trip" from out of state, if she didn't break any traffic laws or act suspicously, or if there was no BOLO out on the vehicle, law enforcement wouldn't have paid any attention as to whether there was a car seat or not, and certainly wouldn't have filed an NCIC info ticket that said "such and such a car has a baby inside." No reason to do so. Most tickets for improperly secured children are written in conjunction with other traffic violations, as the only time they get noticed is in such situations.

Secondly, once the lady crashed into the barricade and then, rather than surrendering to a cadre of uniformed officers from three different agencies, as well as plain-clothes Secret Service surrounding her car, she backed up, struck a patrol car, and then drove directly at the previously mentioned uniformed officer she injured. Attention at that point is "tunnel vision." They see nothing but the suspect, watching her every move, hoping she surrenders, praying she doesn't move the car to turn it into a weapon. They didn't notice the baby because they were focused on the suspect. Simple process: Who's the threat? Keep your eyes on her

They tried that at the White House. She could have just as easily killed the man she hit. Also, how do you know she doesn't have a bomb strapped to her chest, or in her shoe, or wherever. She has already proven herself to be homicidal. You take no further chances. When she's out of the car, refusing to surrender, you take her down before she hurts or kills somebody. I've got no problem with how this was handled.

And how do you suppose those officers felt when they found out there was a child in the car? I'll guarantee you, a few of them were physically ill at the discovery.

8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

In the meantime Washington is still sending cash and weapons to Al Qaeda in Syria. Evidently arming our enemies is deemed as an essential government program.

#8 poncho, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013