1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CERM is looking for new partners

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Bible John, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Bible John

Bible John New Member

CERM- Church Education Resource Ministries is the name of my web ministry. I have my own domain name which is www.cerm.info.

I'd appreciate the feedback from born again non KJV only fundies. CERM is a Fundamentalist baptistic web ministry as mentioned here.

Thanks for the tips

--
    Welcome to CERM. CERM stands for Church Education Resource Ministries. Its purpose is to educate pastors, church workers, and other students of the bible. CERM is a fundamentalist web ministry and written mostly from a Fundamentalist perspective. However this is not to say that all the views on CERM are fundamentalist or views held by most fundamentalists. For example there are many fundamentalists that hold to a King James only view. CERM does not hold to this view, and personally uses the NIV, NASB, and NKJV on a regular basis. CERM has found it easier to read these translations over the classic King James (or Authorized version).

Sadly in the Church today many pastors are no longer teaching the bible. CERM recognizes this failure in Christendom, and has realized from both experience and research that most Christians are not prepared to handle the scriptures (2 Tim 2:15) and with most Christians the Word of God is not their authority (Heb 4:12) as it should be. So CERM's focus is on educating people with the Word. The main objective of CERM should be to introduce someone to a topic and let them go out and do the research. CERM is not in the business of spoon feeding, like so many churches are doing these days. So you will often find brief articles on subjects on CERMS website. We do not ever plan to provide a 100 page article on a subject here (unlike some other web ministries) as this is way too much for the average person to read over a computer screen. Most CERM articles are brief and formatted for reading on a computer screen. In your time on CERM please do examine what you find here and compare it to the scriptures. See if what we say is biblical. See if we preach the true gospel, and true doctrines held by orthodox believers in Christ.

CERM also stands in opposition to false "Christ's" or "antichrists," and "Spiritual Terrorists." Some of these groups are Mormons, Oneness Pentecostals, The Way International, the JW'S, Unity School of Christianity and other such workers of Satan. On CERM'S main website you will find a cult prayer list, where you may pray for a member of one of the many cults. You may have your friend added to this list by sending an email to [email protected].

If you are a member of one of the many cults, please remember than my intention is only to preach what the bible says (2 Tim 4:2-4). What the bible says may and will offend you (1 Cor 1:18, 23) but hopefully after the offense you will be moved by the Holy Spirit to repent and turn to the God of heaven.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would strongly suggest proofreading your articles several times through. I saw quite a few spelling and vocabulary mistakes. If you are going to have an Internet ministry, do it right and work hard at it.

I would also strongly suggest some rewriting on your salvation presentation. First of all, you do not mention the resurrection of Christ, which is part of the Gospel. Secondly, prayer is not "the first step to salvation," it is a sign of faith. We are not saved by prayer but by faith.

I hope this helps. God bless.

3. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Okay

What articles had vocab mistakes?

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In your article on spanking you have "proponents" instead of "opponents." Also, you need to capitalize "Bible" all throughout your website. Other than that, you are on your own.

A publishing company requires up to four times through in proofreading. If you are striving for excellence, I suggest you do the same.:saint:

5. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Thanks

I will correct these mistakes. But in all honesty there is a HUGE distinction between online and printed work.

I could look at online web ministries and look for grammar, but I usually just look for substance. A Mormon website can have perfect grammar, but be absent of substance.

But thanks for the tips and I will work on them today.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

John of Japan offers good advice here. If you are going to put something out on the net make sure it is done right.

Why would you ask for feedback and then get defensive when someone gives you some?

7. IronWill

IronWill New Member

People will judge your ministry not only by content, but also by spelling, grammar, etc. It's a fact of life.

8. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

As someone that gets 90% of my new clients from my website, I can agree with John and the others.

I run an answering service and my website is usually the 1st impression. If someone don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling while at my site, I don't get their information or a call, which in the end means I don't get their business.

In your case, if the users don't like the site and the way it's presented, then they might not listen to what you have to share with them.

I also don't agree with the thought that printed works and web works should be treated differently. They both present a message that you would like the user to receive.

As far as your website, keep working on it, it will become what it needs to be. I have redesigned my site many times to make it better and more presentable to the user. In doing so, I have signed on many new clients. I have just now gotten it to where it needs to be and it's been 3 years. :)

Jamie

9. IronWill

IronWill New Member

I've also noticed that you've designed your website to look alot like the CARM website. Have you considered any potential fall-out from that?

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I looked at your site, too. Not really sure why you wouldn't welcome a non-KJVO person's opinion, since we're people too, but.......

I read your article on the disabled and I do have a criticism in regards to that. You start off with a good example of how not to treat the disabled, but you wind up talking about poor vs. rich. I don't really think this is a good treatment of the topic. I guess I see how it could translate into not treating anyone differently than any other person.....but Im pretty sure that most disabled people and their families would have a hard time with that article as it is written. They are far too often set aside as lower-class citizens already..... Why don't you teach people how to treat the disabled? Too often they get talked down to, as if speaking to a child. The disabled adult knows he's an adult, and to talk to him as you would talk to a 4 year old (tone of voice) is pretty insulting. Usually they are too nice to say anything about it though. I see this done all the time, when I know the church member is not trying to treat them badly, but they are just being nice in the wrong way. They just need education. :)

Id like to see you encourage churches to start Sunday School classes for the disabled, and ministries geared towards them and their families.

JMO (just my opinion)

#10 bapmom, Jun 9, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thankee kind sir. (Add little bowing Japanese smiley.)

#11 John of Japan, Jun 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2006
  12. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Re

Did I not say that I would make the changes and did I not follow up? Go to my website and check out the changes.

I thank John of Japan for this.

But he made a statement about a printing press which I felt was a little inacurate sicne the web does not exactly have printing press standards.

But I do agree that one needs to have good spelling and grammar.

Thanks,

John

13. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Re

Thats for sure.

I did make many changes.

As for me I usually judge by substance. But not everyone is like me.

I have scouraged Biblical Discnerment ministries and have found spelling and grammar errors.

John

14. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Re

Not exactly since I want my site to eb a research website.

I hate websites that are flooded with video and audio, and that only work on newer computers.

But CARMS focus is on apologetics, mine is not.

John

15. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Re

Typicially KJV (have no idea what KJVO means) do nothing but judge me, because I am not like them. This is why I do not seek their advice. Perhaps you are an exception to my normal experience.

No one is perfect and I am working on my articles. But in all honestly I think they are written very well.

I will look at what you mentioned.

Thanks,

John

16. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't want to be picky, but some of your "substance" needs work as well. Instead of exegesis/exposition, it seems like you overload with personal examples intended to shore up your position.

You need to "trim the fat" on these articles. Since this is an internet ministry, you're going to need it to be well-organized, concise, and direct. At the risk of sounding offensive, you're not going to find many people who want to hear about your difficulties finding jobs in the middle of your exegesis. If you want to include personal stories, you may consider attaching them to the end, or using them solely in an introduction or additional section.

I think we all recognize that no internet ministry is going to be pristine overnight, but I think hard work will definitely pay off in this case.

17. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Re

Everyone of my exegesis articles on my website, and remember there is a huge difference between a exegetical article and a topical article, and I believe youa re confusing the two, was froma paper where I earnefd nothing less than a B+ and all from a PHD prof.

Obviouslly in these matters I will listen to him, and him alone.

However if you have found too many personnel examples in a theological or apologetics message, then please tell me. Topical messages are supposed to be for practical application, so it makes sense to have application in these.

John

18. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I am not confusing the two. All messages involve exegesis on one level or another.

2) Concerning your grades...I'm not going to address that, but about your professor--remember, your professor is only human, and he (or she) can make mistakes. There are many, many PhDs who disagree on the very same issues.

3) There is no problem with application, but there is a difference between illustration of a point and application of a point. Excessive illustration detracts from the message.

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello John,

You know the PHD better then I, but it is my feeling that one should not listen to him and him alone, even if "him" has a PHD. You can learn from anyone John. Believe it on not a PHD can be wrong. I think it would be wise of you to drop this idea and take wisdom from all. I'm not in any way trying to pick at your PHD friend, I just feel you should take input from many.

In Christ..James

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This does bring up something else, young Biblewalker. You say in your OP and on your website, "Its purpose is to educate pastors, church workers, and other students of the bible (sic)." Do you honestly think you are going to educate pastors with your college papers? This is presumptuous. You need to rethink your approach here.

You have great potential for the Lord, I'll give you that. I can see promise in your website for the future. But you have a long way to go yet. Go to BJU, get that M. M. degree, learn the BJU approach to excellence ("It is a sin to do less than your best!"--Bob Jones Sr.), get some experience under your belt. Then maybe you can be the pastor to pastors that you want to be. Oh, yes, and you should kill the article on spanking until you actually have children.

Please don't think I'm being harsh. I've been preaching the Gospel for 36 years, and I think I can help you if you will listen to me. Here are a couple of verses for you:

Rom. 12:3--"For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."

Jer. 45:5a--"And seekest thou great things for thyself? seek them not."