1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans Chapter Sixteen

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by R. J., Dec 23, 2006.

1. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans Chapter Sixteen

Romans 16:1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: 2 That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.

Now these first two verses won't be a problem for those of you using the Authorized Version of the King James Bible, the NASB or the NIV. However, the NLT and RSV bibles use "deacon" and "deaconess". The translators of the NLT and RSV took the NEUTER Greek word "diakanon" and made it feminine. You might also be interested to know that "diakanon" in any form is not always translated "deacon". Look back at Romans 15:8 where "diakanon" is translated "minister" when referring to the Jesus Christ.

Cenchrea was an eastern port of Corinth. Phebe was to deliver Paul's epistle to the Romans from there as can be seen in verse 27.

Romans 16:3 Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus: 4 Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. 5 Likewise [greet] the church that is in their house. Salute my wellbeloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.

Priscilla and Aquila were Paul's dear friends and helpers. Notice that they were holding services in their house in Rome. They were Jews (see Acts 18:2) who eventually were deported from Rome by Claudius. They were the couple who "expounded the way of God more perfectly" to Apollos (see Acts 18:26). Finally, note the endearing nickname Paul used to describe Priscilla in 2 Timothy 4:19.

In verse 5, we see something that was never recorded in either Acts or the Corinthian epistles. Paul mentions his first convert in Achaia, Epaenetus.

Romans 16:6 Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us. 7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me. 8 Greet Amplias my beloved in the Lord. 9 Salute Urbane, our helper in Christ, and Stachys my beloved. 10 Salute Apelles approved in Christ. Salute them which are of Aristobulus' [household]. 11 Salute Herodion my kinsman. Greet them that be of the [household] of Narcissus, which are in the Lord. 12 Salute Tryphena and Tryphosa, who labour in the Lord. Salute the beloved Persis, which laboured much in the Lord. 13 Salute Rufus chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine. 14 Salute Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermas, Patrobas, Hermes, and the brethren which are with them. 15 Salute Philologus, and Julia, Nereus, and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints which are with them. 16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.

The Mary in verse 6 is most likely a different Mary from the Marys in the gospels. Here is a list of the various Marys:
    1. Mary, the mother of Jesus,
    2. Mary Magdalene,
    3. Mary, the mother of James and Joses,
    4. Mary, the sister of Martha and Lazarus,
    5. Mary, the wife of Cleophas, and in Acts,
    6. Mary, the mother of John Mark.
    Verse 7 is a problem for the "Hyper-dispensationalists" in that it states that there were folks IN CHRIST BEFORE Paul. And, contrary to the "Hypers", the 8 apostles (i.e. beyond the 12) were all baptised IN WATER.

Verse 7 is also a problem for the Roman Catholics. Andronicus and Junia were APOSTLES in ROME and were mentioned by Paul. If Peter was "running the show" in Rome, why wouldn't Paul have greeted him in this epistle to the Romans.

Notice that three of those listed were related to Paul. They were his kinfolk. There is also the possibility that Rufus was Paul's half-brother depending upon how one reads verse 13.
    Except for Mary, Priscilla and Aquila, the list of names reflect GENTILES. None of them are Old Testament Hebrew names.

Finally, verse 16 is used by the Church of Christ just as many use the churches of Revelation 2 and 3. They all desire to make LOCAL churches into the spiritual body of Christ. It is CHURCHES (plural) folks.

--- Continued on next post ---

2. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans Chapter Sixteen (Continued)

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. 19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all [men]. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil. 20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with you. Amen.

In verse 17, we see that a Christian is to MARK who divides or offends the saints by teaching "contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned" (i.e. false doctrine). We are to AVOID such persons. The apostle, John, makes it clear in the following verses:

2 John 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into [your] house, neither bid him God speed: 11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

The New Testament ORDER is not "unity" but love and cooperation according to the turth of the SCRIPTURES. Ecumenical unity is usually at the expense of what that Scriptures state DOCTRINALLY.

Let's look at Paul's phrase "their own belly" in verse 18. With Paul's great knowledge of the Old Testament, he may have been thinking of Solomon's comment in the following verse:

Ecclesiastes 6:7 All the labour of man [is] for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.

In other words, Paul might be referring to a man's income. Paul has some additional thoughts about "belly worshippers" as shown in the following verse:

Philippians 3:19 Whose end [is] destruction, whose God [is their] belly, and [whose] glory [is] in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

Now note carefully what these "belly worshippers" do. They "by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple". They give political, motivational, positive talks and avoid straight, hard, plain preaching.

In verse 19, if you are going to be WISE about doing good, you are going to have to STUDY. Here is what Paul had to say about STUDY:

1 Thessalonians 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

However, we should also heed Solomon's wisdom in the following verse:

Ecclesiastes 12:12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books [there is] no end; and much study [is] a weariness of the flesh.

Paul is in agreement as we can see in the following verse:

Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.

Finally, in verse 20, we have a great "Pre-tribulation" rapture inference. God SHALL bruise Satan under YOUR FEET. That means we will be gathered (i.e. raptured) and THEN God will deal with Satan while he is "under your feet".

Romans 16:21 Timotheus my workfellow, and Lucius, and Jason, and Sosipater, my kinsmen, salute you. 22 I Tertius, who wrote [this] epistle, salute you in the Lord. 23 Gaius mine host, and of the whole church, saluteth you. Erastus the chamberlain of the city saluteth you, and Quartus a brother. 24 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with you all. Amen.

In verse 22, note that Paul did not write the epistle to the Romans. He dictated it to Tertius. The apostle Peter describes how this worked in the following verse:

2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.

Let's look at another example:

Jeremiah 36:1 And it came to pass in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, [that] this word came unto Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, 2 Take thee a roll of a book, and write therein all the words that I have spoken unto thee against Israel, and against Judah, and against all the nations, from the day I spake unto thee, from the days of Josiah, even unto this day.

Jeremiah 36:4 Then Jeremiah called Baruch the son of Neriah: and Baruch wrote from the mouth of Jeremiah all the words of the LORD, which he had spoken unto him, upon a roll of a book.

The bible doesn't say that the scriptures are inspired. It says they were "GIVEN by inspiration". Whether those words are in the original languages or in English, they are still "GIVEN by inspiration of God".

Earlier in this chapter, Paul was saluting Christians in Rome. In verses 21 -23 there are people with Paul who are sending greetings to the Christians in Rome. Paul also names three more relatives in verse 21.

Verse 24 is the third ending to the book of Romans. We shall see the "last" ending in the next three verses.

--- Continued on post #4 ---

#2 R. J., Dec 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2006
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uhhh, RJ, there's only 16 chapters in Romans.

Please don't continue into Corinthians. :wavey:

Rob

4. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans Chapter Sixteen (Continued)

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, 26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: 27 To God only wise, [be] glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen. [[[Written to the Romans from Corinthus, [and sent] by Phebe servant of the church at Cenchrea.]]]

Verses 25 and 26 are very important for every believer to understand and remember. They state HOW you are established as believers. Paul speaks first of the believer being established by "my gospel". He isn't speaking of JUST the gospel found in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. The blood atonement for sin and the resurrection are found in Isaiah 53.

Notice in verse 25 that "the preaching of Jesus Christ" is "according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began." That is NOT the basic gospel found in 1 Corinthians 15. This "revelation of the mystery" is mentioned in Galatians 1:10-12. It involves a whole body of doctrine that accompanied the gospel. That body of revelation incorporates:
    1. Christ dwelling in you through the Holy Spirit,
    2. your becoming a member of one living organism called the Body of Christ,
    3. Jews and Gentiles being one in Christ,
    4. the eternal security of the believer,
    5. the adoption of the believer, and
    6. predestination to conform to Christ's image.
    These are mysteries of the body of Christ that were revealed to the apostle Paul.

Verse 26 is another problem for the "Hyper-dispensationalists" who say the church can not be found in the Old Testament. Paul refutes them when he states that his revelation "was KEPT SECRET . . . now is MADE MANIFEST . . . by the scriptures of the prophets". The church is prophesied in types throughout the Old Testament. It just wasn't revealed until Paul received the revelation from the glorified Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.

O.K. Let's summarize the message of the book of Romans on salvation:
    1. You are SAVED if you believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins,
    2. You must believe that your sins were placed on Him,
    3. You must believe that He shed His blood to take away your sins,
    4. You must believe He died in your place,
    5. You must believe He genuinely died (physically), and that His body was buried, and that same body that died and was buried came up from the dead,
    6. You are counting on His death, burial, and resurrection to get you to Heaven and you are counting on NOTHING ELSE.
    That is New Testament SALVATION according to the Apostle of the Gentiles in the definitive book on the subject.

--- End of Romans Chapter Sixteen ---

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Could I ask the purpose of all these threads on Romans?

6. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Bible Study

Hi Pastor,

They are BIBLE STUDIES posted in a forum with that title.

In Christ,

Jim

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    But this is a discussion forum, not a lecture forum. Please keep that in mind in the future.

8. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Hi RSR,

I certainly didn't present the Romans Bible Study as a lecture. It is for BIBLE STUDY which I supposed was one of the objectives of this forum being "Bible Studies" does appear in the title of this forum.

I am open to scriptural discussion on any chapter of this Romans bible study. I would be particular interested in your discernment concerning my presentation of "justification" in the early part of Romans Chapter Four.

In Christ,

Jim

#8 R. J., Dec 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2006
  9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hello Jim,

I understand that you are a fairly new BB member and you may not be aware of exactly how the forum works. The point RSR was making is that you posted several very long posts back to back without anyone else having the ability to comment or respond. This is a forum that deals with Bible Study and Theology. However, it is first and foremost a discussion/debate forum. Protocol is for you to post some material that is concise and to the point. Then wait for others to respond/dialogue. Then you respond so on and so fourth... The BB is not designed to be a pulpit for you (or anyone) to present massive amounts of material or deliver your singular exposition of entire chapters of the Bible. Try cutting down the scope and content of your posts and allow the discussion to unfold. Massive long posts made back to back will not generate as much discussion. They are simply too long and too time consuming to sit and read through in a discussion forum such as the BB. I hope you find this helpful.

Yours in Christ,

Bible-boy,
    Forum Moderator

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > Baptist Theology & Bible Study > Romans Chapter Sixteen

Jim, If you look at the top of the page you will find the categories in which you are posting, even the name of the thread that the you gave to this one. Now look carefully. This particular section in general is for Baptist Debate It is not for someone to post their Bible studies. In fact it is not even for Baptist fellowship. There is another section for that. This particular section is geared for theological debate. Post a theological subject that you are interested in, offer your opinon on, and invite others to share theirs. Debate the subject. This is a debate forum. It is not a forum for someone to post their own Bible Studies, and I along with the previous two moderators would ask you to refrain from doing so in the future. There are too many threads that have been started in this manner. It is not a Bible Study/lecture forum. It is a Baptist Debate forum, and will remain as such.

In Christ,