1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chuck Swindoll

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 26, 2012.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have listened to him a few times but have never read any of his books. He like David Jeremiah is a dispensationalist and probably will not be as popular among Reformed churches and groups. What do you think about him?

#1 evangelist6589, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
  2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Great Bible expositor and Calvinistic at some levels, depending on how Calvinism is defined.

Yes, he's a premillennial dispensationationalist, but so is John MacArthur, who is somewhat popular with Reformed folks. I think Swindoll is largely unpopular with Reformed folks because of his association with DTS.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I agree with this assessment. His book Grace Awakening literally changed my life. Some of my former associates would say "for the worst", but I would not go back for anything.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeremiah talks about him a bit so I figured he was good. Jeremiah is also unpopular with Reformed and probably for the same reason.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

He's probably not as "unpopular" as you think. There's just so many "messiahs" out there that we have to be choosy.

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Swindoll is on the radio where I live. I enjoy his broadcast.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many in the die hard Reformed circles that post on some FB groups I am on do not like David Jeremiah. However most of these are of the Paul Washer ilk, and he is Lordship to the core!! He sometimes judges people's salvation all by what he sees. He does not know if the people are false converts or just acting in the flesh and disobedient that will lose their rewards. However by what he said in one sermon he called everyone a false convert.

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Jesus I know and Paul I know, but who is Paul Washer?

Seriously, I have more important things to do than worry about who is in whose "camp", what kind of evangelism methods they do and do not endorse, how they spend their money, and so on. Seems like gossip-mongering to do that to me.

Have a blessed day.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yes, Grace Awakening is a life-changer.

11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    While I would like to see God use any of these men, what is telling here is your reaction to godly preaching and teaching.

I will stand by most of what Paul Washer teaches any day of the week.You should not mis-represent what he says. Could you show what you believe he has taught that is wrong???

Mexdef,
    He having served in the mission field, I would be willing to say that demon spirits know who he is.:wavey:

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would that be? isn't DTS considered to be "4 point" calvinistic in theology?