1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Writing a Book on John R. Rice

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by John of Japan, Jun 15, 2015.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the story. The book is about half done now.

My pastor says John R. Rice was the "last revivalist of the 20th century." He defines revivalist as someone through who God can do great things, and I am incorporating that thought into a chapter. So many times things similar to your account happened.

In his obituary in "The Educator's Journal" by Theodore Epp of "Back to the Bible," Epp told about a whole month of John R. Rich preaching evangelistic sermons on the radio program and having 1000 come to Christ through the month!

#41 John of Japan, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might want to say a word or two on how he xhanged the words to some of the hymns in his hymnal. I was shocked to see how he had changed Silent Night.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That change was made by the co-editor, I'm pretty sure. I'm also pretty sure it was a return to an English translation (of the German original) previous to the most common one. There have been many English translations, according to this website: http://www.silentnight.web.za/

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that other men deserve to be mentioned such as James S. Stewart (1896-1990) and Leonard Ravenhill (1907-1994). They both out-lived JRR and were highly regarded in that domain (though JSS was more academically inclined).

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know that Stewart fits my expanded definition (not to be revealed here), but Ravenhill might. I have his Why Revival Tarries, and plan to do research in it.

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That maybe but I was about to sing the carol in an EC-B church and opened up the hymnal and boom. I didn't recognize the words.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know the feeling. I had it the first time I, too, sang the hymn from that hymnbook.

8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My problem was at the time I was "on the field." So, it was the only English hymnal I had.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was very interesting chapter. There is so much more complexity to those believers in the 50's-70's than we want to admit. I can remember my grandfather's racism but I also remember how that he was always a gentleman to blacks and would help a black man get his car started when he was broken down on the road. When the man started to get in the back seat, he made me get back there so this "gentleman" (his words) could sit there because it wasn't right for a boy to sit in the front seat and an adult in the back.

Your brother is a good writer.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was a battle between the society of the day and the love of Christ in the hearts of believers.
    Yes he is.

12. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rhetorician Response

JoJ,

Be sure to put me down for a copy of that when you finish it.

Who will publish it, any idea yet? :wavey:

Thanks,

rd

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Rhet.

Glad to know you are interested. I don't have a publisher yet, but we'll see.

By the way, I just came back from Cincinnati, where I got some books from my parents' library (both in Heaven). Among the books was a copy of Keith Bates' (SBC) 2006 dissertation, "Moving Fundamentalism Toward the Mainstream: John R. Rice and the Reengagement of America's Religious and Political Cultures." Dr. Bates interviewed my mother and aunts as part of his research. Looks like a good read.

God bless.

John

14. mrsmel

mrsmel New Member

I'd love to know your speculation on what he and the other great preachers/evangelists of his day would have made of the internet. I remember that Brother Roloff opposed teevee (after years of growing up around it-my memories start with the Brady Bunch era), and finally, some decades ago, reaching the same conclusions as he did, and teevee is even worse now than it dreamed of being in their day. I wonder, because though some of them opposed teevee, they saw radio as a useful tool for spreading the Gospel. So I wonder how they's have seen the internet, which is more interactive, for better or for worse. Just for one good thing, it's made access to the Bible, and to video, audio, and written sermons, much more available. I love being able to listen to the old sermons from their day, and even somewhat before their day.

15. mrsmel

mrsmel New Member

I would include Lester Roloff. I can truly say that his influence on my life, for the good, was deep, and farther-reaching that I even knew for years. One of the last things for which I thanked my mother before she died last year, was her decision which put me in his orbit of influence.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, mrsmel. Welcome to the BB. :wavey:

I'm positive that John R. Rice would have seen the Internet as a way to win souls and help believers. That's how he looked at TV. He owned a TV, but seldom took time to watch it other than an occasional football game or the news, but late in life he did a sermon special for TV and paid for its distribution to hundreds of stations, seeing many saved through that effort.

Concerning TV nowadays, he certainly would have condemned the vast majority of what is broadcast nowadays, judging from his book What is Wrong with the Movies? Coming back from Japan to live here last year, we are shocked at what passes for entertainment on almost all TV shows.

17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Former pastor of LDBC (Gary Coleman) stated that he always had heard of the great prayer life of JRR. So, one evening he crept down to JRR's motel room and stood outside the door trying to hear him in prayer.

Rather, he stood listening to Gunsmoke. :)

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not surprised. That was an old cowboy having memories. :smilewinkgrin:

Dr. Coleman was one of our favorite supporting pastors while we were in Japan. According to Grandma Rice, he took us on because she told him to, though he told me he didn't remember that. Last time we were there, the "Global Impact Celebration" missionary conference was wonderful.

19. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

20. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Bro. JofJ,

Yesterday (11/02/2015) I spent some time (& over $400) at this place at 214 Bridge Avenue....Ever hear of that one? It's in the 'Boro, right across from that big school building.

I was there for several reasons:

1) To get a sub of this paper called "Sword of the Lord." I can't say that I'm 110+% in agreement with absolutely everything that's declared upon its pages, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying reading it.
    (NOTE: I also subscribe to what could be called the antithesis of "The Sword of the Lord," namely "The Berea Baptist Banner" (UPS 546-470) that's published in Mantachie, MS.)

2) To purchase 6 sets of the two-volume BJU Press's This Day in Baptist History. I'm a history buff (MA in History from APSU in 1981), and firmly believe that many "average" Baptists have little/no idea of the price our spiritual forefathers paid to bequeath the heritage to us today.

3) To purchase some CDs by Ray Hart. I was "volunteered" to be the one to keep the stats for him back in the late 1970s-early 1980s at a TACS Regional Acad. & Fine Arts comp. where he was evaluating the solo vocalists at FRBC's FRCS. He had to wear crutches due to some injuries he'd suffered....Don't remember the details. I was about to give him some pointers on how he could improve his own vocal performances, but he said something to the effect that he all the sudden felt "called of the Lord" to "fellowship with some other 'Dear Brother 'I hadn't seen in a while.'" Oh well, it's like the Nashville Symphony Orchestra's Chorus master. He said he'd get back to me after he heard me sing the opening solo to Handel's Messiah, "Comfort Ye.":eek: He knows that we've only got just a couple weeks until the live performances start!!! Redface

Of course, I then proceeded to cross over the I-24 bridge & eat at the Waffle House near where John R. Rice Blvd. is. The Waffle House isn't exactly the same as Music City's Lowe's Vanderbilt Plaza's first floor Restaurant, but at least it's there in the Boro. [NOTE: If Waffle House would only buy into my very special brand of coffee---"Mechanic's Coffee Coffee" {"An exclusive blend of bearing grease and 'Liquid Wrench' that's (a) filtered though months'-old, non-laundered grease pit work socks, and (b) stirred with a rusty old tire iron, and (c) served in used 10W5 oil cans,--- I truly believe they'd draw more "something or other" than they do now. But YAW no that's jest prob-blee ain't gonna happen reel soon.]

Can YAW smell that thar "Mechanic's Coffee Coffee" that Ima a-brewing in your part? Frown