1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured ‘Your Faith Has Saved You’

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Protestant, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You don't read very carefully. I answered the other poster the same way I answered yours. But for clarity I added a bit more to yours.

I am in a perfect position to answer you.
    I will spell it out for you, since you don't seem to get it.

This is a debate forum. It is not a place to call people names.
    I have stated twice now, though in somewhat an oblique way, that there are no Pelagians or Arminians here. I awaited for some names. There were none forthcoming.
    If you can name them, I can name the "baby-baptizing Augustinian worshipers." That was my reply. Inasmuch as you desire to peg non-Cals as Pelagian et.al., non-Cals are perfectly able to come back. That is not the purpose here. But I have said enough in spoon-feeding this to you. Don't reply to. Don't carry on. Post to the OP, not this post. Any attempt to justify your name-calling, and negative posts will just result in a deletion of your posts.

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

False statement ! Those who are drawn are those who are born again, and believe ! The word draw also means to be persuaded, which is what Faith is !

The word draw helkó means:

I drag, draw, pull, persuade, unsheathe.

And Faith, is the greek word pistis and means:

pístis (from 3982/peithô, "persuade, be persuaded") – properly, persuasion (be persuaded, come to trust); faith.

So your assertion is absolutely false and without scripture warrant, once one is being drawn they begin to come in Faith and persuasion ! So the all being drawn are converted to Faith in Christ , they come in Faith to Him !

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If not Pelagian, there are certainly some semi-Pelagians and Arminians here. Don't try to deny the obvious.

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    False statement! Many are called, few are chosen. There was no such thing as born-again until after Jesus Christ was glorified...

He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified." (John 7)

To Peter Jesus said, "But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren. (Luke 22:32)

So your assertion is absolutely false and without scripture warrant. It actually denies the scripture...

5. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Was David denying Scripture when he prayed Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me?

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If there was no such thing as being born from above.....why did Jesus expect Nicodemus to know about these things.

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Yeah you made a statement that was false!

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

http://www.theopedia.com/arminianism

Don't deny the obvious. I don't know any Pelagian or Arminian on the board who is a Baptist. However, perhaps this thread was deliberately posted in this forum to include other religions. My statement was not referring to other denominations.
    But what should I expect from a follower of an infant baptizing Augustinian disciple whose leader believed in baptismal regeneration?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He was expected to know that salvation comes by faith as Jesus went on to clearly explain in John 3:16-18.

In the KJV Study Bible, a footnote or explanation given under Titus 3:5 gives this definition for "regeneration."
    It is a NT theological term and a person was not regenerated until after Pentecost.

10. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Abram believed God and did everything he did without being born again? David cried to God 'Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me,[Psa. 51:11] and yet he was not born again?

You guys have some very eerie doctrine.

11. Protestant

My New King James Study Bible teaches differently.

In John 3 there is a topic included titled: REGENERATION: THE NEW BIRTH.

Among other important teachings on the subject it says:

In the Pelagian/Arminian model faith is that which motivates and activates the Holy Spirit to regenerate.

The seriousness of this error cannot be overstated for it teaches salvation by merit, which is salvation by justice, not grace.

Justice gives to each person what they deserve/merit.

Grace, on the other hand, gives to some that which they do not deserve/merit.

Scripture is clear. We are saved by grace, justified by grace and adopted into God’s family by grace.

All deserve condemnation. None deserve mercy.

These truths are elementary Christian truths which every Christian should acknowledge, embrace and praise God for His saving grace given us, the undeserving.

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So you believe David was in fear of losing his salvation?

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He was a Pharisee! He was suppose to understand the scriptures. He should have known about the New Covenant (regeneration/new heart) that God was going to implement. Do you know about the New Covenant? Or do you believe there is only one? The old and the new being one in the same?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It seems you haven't been reading very carefully.
    It really doesn't matter what study Bible you are using or what you are trying to say in your posts.

As long as you are addressing Pelagians and Arminians you are speaking to the wind. You won't find any answers here. Why not post on a Catholic forum instead. Maybe you could even find a Hindu forum to hurl insults at.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not us.
    Deal with definitions, not fiction:

Regeneration refers to the work of the Holy Spirit in the salvation experience that produces new life in the believer. Toe express this concept, Jesus used the expression "born again" in His conversation with Nicodemus (John 3:3-7). Regeneration is the work of God, through the Holy Spirit, of placing in one who has faith a new nature, capable of doing God's will. The Holy Spirit is the agent or divine workman of this regeneration. His instrument is the Bible, which is likened to a hammer that judges sin (Jer.23:29), a mirror that reveals sin (James 1:23), a sword that defeats Satan (Heb.4:12), and a lamb that guides the believer (Ps.119:105).
    ILLUSTRATION: People are instantaneously "born again" the moment they trust Christ as Saviour (1Pet.1:23).

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most Baptists are Semi-Pelagian. Even Roger Olson, who identifies himself as an Arminian says so.

On the BB StefanM goes along with four Remonstrant points.
    Skandelon accepts the Arminian label.
    Pipedude calls himself an Arminian.
    As a mod, you certainly go out of your way to stir things up. Unfortunately you have uttered untruths once more. But what's new about that?

17. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    steaver

Not only that...he was THE TEACHER IN ISRAEL.....the definite article was used.
    he was the main man.:thumbsup:

yes he was. The scriptures he had were the OT.

He should have known that for sure, but that is not what Jesus said to him was it? Jesus did not mention the promise of what was to come, and He did not discuss the "newness" of the new covenant with him, did He.

He told Nicodemus that something already existed that he," the teacher" of Israel should have known already.
    Jesus had not introduced anything new at this point. He asked him...and you do not know these things?

yes... I have heard of this:thumbsup:

There is one Covenant of Redemption. it is progressively revealed in scripture and all other covenants fall under it.

2 Samuel 23:5

Although my house be not so with God; yet he hath made with me an everlasting covenant, ordered in all things, and sure: for this is all my salvation, and all my desire, although he make it not to grow.

there is a newness to the new covenant, but that is another discussion

#37 Iconoclast, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
  18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Most here identify themselves as Cals or non-cals.
    The Pelagian position is accepted as heretical. To refer to any of us as such is totally against the rules, so why do it?
    The Arminian position is generally accepted as one who can lose their salvation as pointed out by theopedia. I don't know of anyone among the Baptists who hold to that position. So, again it falls into the category of name calling or derogatory speech.

I am not stirring things up. Play within the rules or expect an infraction if it continues. Things have been getting out of hand lately. Please don't reply to this post. Don't derail this thread. Post to the OP.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Here is another definition given by Watson's Biblical and Theological Dictionary:

20. Protestant

Citing B. R. Rees, ed., The Letters of Pelagius and His Followers (Woodbridge, England: The Boydell Press, 1991), Dr. Michael Horton (Professor of Theology and Apologetics, Westminster Seminary, CA) expounds Pelagianism as it relates to modern-day evangelic preaching:

Source:

http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/pelagiannatural.html

Do you deny that you, and other members of the Board, teach the very doctrines of Pelagius as outlined (in bold type) by Dr. Horton?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.