1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Could You Be a Missionary to Japan?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Sep 2, 2015.

?
  1. I could live in a tiny apartment and sleep on a mat the floor.

72.7%
  2. I could eat raw fish while smiling like I loved it!

54.5%
  3. I could spend eight hours a day (five days a week) for two years studying a foreign language.

72.7%
  4. I could sit on a mat on the floor when I eat and think nothing of it.

72.7%
  5. I could be stared at everywhere I go and not let it bother me.

81.8%
  6. I think those little squiggly Chinese characters and Japanese alphabet characters look neat.

81.8%
  7. I could pass out 10,000 tracts and get no prospects without being discouraged.

45.5%
  8. I could drink fermented milk (called “Calpis”) and learn to like it.

45.5%
  9. I could live with hearing terrible English all the time without correcting it.

63.6%
  10. I could love a people not my own and give decades of my life to see them saved.

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Servent

Servent Member

In my younger days yes, now days not possible, how every I do have two young friends that are leaving for Japan at the end of the year, the young man was in my youth group years ago. I do support them. as of right now they are going to be there at least 2 years. I really don't expect them back for a long time.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise the Lord--more missionaries for that needy country. :thumbs:

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend of mine, Alistair McKenna, has gone out to be minister of a Baptist Church in Osaka.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's great to hear. I'm curious, though. If he's going out from the US to pastor in Japan, it's probably either a work for the US military or an international church, right? Either way, good for him.

5. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

The only two I said "no" to were getting discouraged after passing out that many tracts with no conversions, and not correcting horrible English. I have a bad habit of becoming what the internet has dubbed a "grammar Nazi", someone who corrects other people's grammar.

The food issue is no problem for me. I love trying new foods. And I already love sushi. On that note, I found out that sushi in Texas was NOT the same as sushi in Hawaii!

As an aside: A website I love to browse every now and again is www.engrish.com. It is basically a place for people to post pictures of signs written in English in Asian countries. The results can be hilarious.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now those are both easily handled. Who knows, you may someday be headed for a missionary career! :wavey:
    And they are both different from true Japanese sushi. Scrambled egg sushi is great. And would you believe I have had beef sushi in Japan? :thumbs:
    You would love this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OO2WTS/?tag=baptis04-20

7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm OK with everything but the language and the fermented milk thing. I have a good friend from Japan who taught me a couple of phrases. I'm pretty good with languages, but written Japanese looks pretty tough.

I love Japanese people, and I'd be willing to give the food a shot, except for the octopus, and what they've done to baseball is a shame.

But it's not my calling.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the fermented milk is quite good and easy to like. The language? Can't get away from that one!
    The octopus doesn't have much taste--certainly not a bad taste. But the baseball is quite different. Anything in particular about Japanese baseball you don't like?
    But praise the Lord you are willing, if that would be your call.

9. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, speaking it wouldn't be too much of a problem to learn, but all the different characters would make it very difficult to learn to read and write.

It's not so much the taste as much as it's just icky. Having lived in the Keys, I've eaten conch, which is about like eating shoe leather. And I've eaten calamari, which I assume is similar.

I guess I just couldn't eat it for the same reason I never learned to eat fish on the bone. It's icky.

Just all of the rituals and the extra curricular stuff. I'm a purist. I just want to go, eat my $7 hot dog, shout mean things at Chipper Jones I'll have to repent for later, and enjoy the game.

I'd be willing. I just have a talent and interest in another area.

I could be a missionary to St. Barts.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The written language is said to be one of, if not the, most difficult in the world to learn. The truth is, I've known quite a few missionaries who were functionally illiterate in the language, even if they were good at the spoken language.
    Calamari is actually octopus. :smilewinkgrin:
    Hah. You think that's icky, wait till you see natto, which is fermented bean paste. It's this mishmash of sticky stuff with small soy beans in it. About half of the Japanese don't even like it, but those who do swear by it.
    I can dig that. I've been to quite a few Japanese pro games, and they do like their ceremonies, so I'd rather be at an American game any day. Worse than that, though, is the pep band out in right field, blaring constantly the whole game. But as the game itself goes, they play a good one, as witness Ichiro, Aoki, Matsui, etc.

But hey, shouting mean things at Chipper? That's going too far, unless you're a Phillies fan, and they just don't know any better. :BangHead:
    Sign me up for that one, too.

11. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tough poll. I could do all of those things, in theory, anyway, with perhaps the exception of the time spent there (that's one that would have to have circumstances defined, as opposed to just picking up from my life now and going to do it).

But it wouldn't likely be revealed as to whether I would continue to do it until after it was begun.

And I think that service like this is something that has a direct calling from God, so I am not sure whether one could do these things would equate that they should.

Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion of Forum Missions? So you see that as a valid Mission Field for people who do not have the opportunity to be Foreign Missions? Would you encourage it or discourage it? I ask because I have seen some surprising opposition to Forum Missions by some in leadership positions.

God bless.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise the Lord that you could do it in theory--none of us can know the future, but that last question was designed to show willingness, which this post says you have.
    Certainly willingness is not enough. As you say, a direct call from God is necessary. But that does not typically occur until one has surrendered to God's will, whatever it is.
    Maybe you should define Forum Missions for me. Do you mean by this going on secular Internet forums and witnessing for Christ? If so, I would call it forum evangelism rather than forum missions, and I would be in favor of it.

The reason I wouldn't call it "forum missions" is that the commonly agreed paradigm for missions (among evangelicals) is evangelism with the goal of church-planting by accomplishing the "three selfs": self-propagating, self-supporting, self-governing. It would be extremely difficult to plant a church on the Internet. :smilewinkgrin:

13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was first saved it was something that I considered. I was unmarried and gave it some thought. But, I did not pursue it and have thought about it, and I cannot say I regret it but again it is still something that interests me. I did go on one Missions trip, and enjoyed it. Austria.

And I lean towards feeling that I was not called. In retrospect it is only in the last few years that I might say I have actually seen growth in my walk with the Lord, and think perhaps I may have done more damage than good had I pursued Missionary work simply to satisfy my own desire to do that work.

But who knows, I am not dead yet, lol, and it may be that should the opportunity arise in the future I may then at that time be better prepared.

It is not too difficult a concept, simply speaks of Christians going out into the broad and open filed the internet has opened to us and witnessing, teaching, exhorting, et cetera.

It does not have to be, as I am sure traditional Missionary work is not, exclusive to evangelism.

I have made it a habit to find forums, both Christian and Atheist (with a few supposedly Christian but practically speaking atheistic), for the primary purpose of addressing doctrinal matters.

As I said, I have seen opposition to this kind of effort, summed up in the statement "We are not called to be lawyers." I see that as contradictory to what we see in Scripture, though, as exampled by those who preached the Gospel, Paul being, of course, the prime example. He is said to "dispute daily," lol.

But, I also see Forum Missions and the desire to perhaps fulfill a "dream" or desire for missionary work one may have had but never responded to as a great way to learn. I believe it is when our views are challenged that we are driven to the Word of God to "see if those be true," so to speak.

Not really. That social networks crop up all the time is something that has been going on for years. The "Church" is after all an assembling of the brethren, and we see that assembling on countless sites.

Now the problem I see with many of these "assemblies" is a lack of proper leadership which in turn connects directly to the Doctrinal Views of any given Forum. And it is the Doctrine which fuels the poor leadership.

Another aspect I might raise would be that many of these forums might be compared to the "Wild West," so to speak. On most forums there is not something we see that is vital to Christianity and sound doctrine...which is a certainty in doctrine. Room is left for most to entertain heretical as well as damnable doctrine, and the failure on the leadership is rather than to teach why that doctrine is in error, they simply ban discussion, or censor those who would seek to address it. An example of this in my own "travels" would be a Church of Christ forum where my address of Baptismal Regeneration was basically stopped. What I would expect from leadership is not what I see as an abuse of power, but rather to address that doctrine and confirm sound doctrine.

Now we would not equate that to the physical building and the local fellowship, don't get me wrong, but, there are those out there who will not, at least at this time, go to a local assembly and come under the leadership of that assembly (through which we hope proper instruction takes place).

So I will continue to call it Forum Missions, myself, because I do see this as a "mission" that has been given me by the Lord. Perhaps delusions of grandeur, lol? Maybe. But I do see the growth that has taken place and feel that this could be the case for many.

There is a field there waiting for workers, and it is just a matter of getting people to pick up camp from the singular forum they usually stay on and going out to speak to new people.

Sorry for going on so long, lol.

God bless.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stranger things have happened. I know a pastor who wanted to be a missionary to Russia in his youth, but it was closed by Communism. However, in his old age he finally got the chance, and spent several years over there.
    Traditional missionary work follows the pattern of the Great Commission in Matthew: make disciples of people (possible on the Internet), baptize them (the step necessary to become a member of a Baptist church; not possible on the Internet), then teaching them what Jesus taught (possible on the Internet).
    Excellent!
    In a sense all believers are part of the "universal church" (though I prefer the term "body of Christ). However, the local church is a different matter. It is extremely difficult for a group on the Internet to be "local," all living in the same area. And if they are local, why not meet in person?

Again, an Internet group cannot fulfill the responsibilities and ordinances of the local church: baptizing, supporting missionaries, ordaining pastors and deacons, celebrating the Lord's Supper, etc. These all require physical presence.
    The problem with such people is that if they are actually believers in Christ, they are disobedient if they do not attend a local church. But someone who is not saved yet can, of course, be won to Christ over the Internet. The Internet soul winner should then encourage them to attend a local church and be baptized.
    Not a problem. :type:

#34 John of Japan, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
  15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never viewed it as though I would be given a choice. Perhaps that is what intimidated me, lol. I knew of a girl who was going to Pakistan, and I am sure you know how dangerous that is.

And I saw your post in the other thread speaking about the missionary who wasn't called, and it turning out to be a mess. I think that is what gave me caution for the most part, because I truly feared assuming something I wasn't sure about.

Exactly. And what I have found these days is there is an ever increasingly popular trend to convince people to leave the local fellowship. One article (posted here, I believe) called them the "Dones." I am dead set against such a movement, and have come to understand how important local fellowship is in my own life, and that...balanced with discouragement in that same fellowship. Probably just pride for the most part on my part, but I am sometimes appalled by the ministries I see going on.

So I can understand, and recognize, the group out there that is not for some reason in fellowship with a local body. Forum "Missions" has the goal (from my perspective) of countering false doctrines that have caused many to leave or refrain from ever going. The misconceptions abound, and nearly every person I have talked to who states "I use to be a Christian but no longer am" are people who sat under erroneous doctrines and practice. And because they have forsaken that group, and that is what they understand Christianity to be, there is a need to be able to discuss those issues with them.

And they can be found on every forum. Just have to root around a little, and throw a few jabs once in a while, lol. Nothing that says I can't yank chains once in a while, right?

Thanks. There are what I see to be triumphs, and what I see to be utter failures. But it is a learning process I do not believe will ever end, just as I am sure you would agree: we never "arrive," so to speak, when it comes to maturity and understanding, which impacts how we minister among others.

On one Atheist Forum, just to give you an idea of how many can be reached (at least their attention drawn, lol), two threads had between them, I think it was around 15,000 views.

Secular Humanism is on the rise, and the trend towards the "Dones" becomes more appealing every year. The first Atheist Church was started (as a gag) in England not long ago, and in their fellowship they sing songs hear messages, and fellowship.

It has been said, "The single greatest cause of atheism...is Christians." When we consider some of what they see on "Christian" forums, we might believe that to be true. The average believer would likely be eaten alive in a debate with some of the atheist "ministers" that are out there, because the importance of study and diligence in understanding the will of God seems to be low on the list of priorities for many. But that is a problem dating back to the First Century (Hebrews 5:10-6:12).

Me too.

If you say "Church" often you have to explain what you mean, lol.

The goal is to see people saved, and just as we would be careful in Doctrine, so too encouraging to attend a local Body would be on the list.

One of the things that I will say about most people who devote time to Christian Doctrinal Discussion and Debate is that they have more interest in learning about the Bible than the average believer. If we can be there to plant and water, then I think we are where God would have us.

But local fellowship is important, though we might differ on at least point (concerning not forsaking the fellowship of the brethren, which I view as specific to First Century Jews who after becoming involved or associated with Christ forsook the assembly, preferring to maintain the Law, which showed lack of saving faith. I think the principle applies, but I think it is more with a negative attitude towards Christ in view, rather than a negative attitude towards the assembly itself. It is doctrinal, rather than social, so to speak).

Continued...

16. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, but it would be in principle no different than knocking on doors. We don't expect to Baptize those whose doors we knock on at their house, nor do we plan to bring the fellowship to their house.

In the past, when counseling those who question which "Church" they should go to, I have always suggested a Bible believing Church, which of course would then be defined by my own doctrinal views. I think that as long as it is not a Church openly known for heresy, there are many fellowships out there where at least a babe can "get his feet wet," lol, and that God, being our Heavenly Father, will train up His children in the way they should go. In other words, as they grow, there is a chance that they will leave the first fellowship they attend due to doctrinal differences.

Lot of Church hopping going on, lol.

Not always. This is something that talking to a variety of different people has led me to believe: sometimes there is good reason why a person does not go to "Church." Consider this scenario (which is a true one, by the way): Pastor and Deacon sleep with a man's wife...he doesn't go to "Church" for years (but he did finally end up going back to Church.

Another: man's 8 year old son dies, and he gets angry at God and denounces his "faith." Now we both know that there is a good chance that he was never saved, but, there is also the chance he was, and he is simply in disobedience to God and in need of restoration.

Some people just do not do well in social settings. I know myself that I felt very uncomfortable when I first started attending a fellowship. Felt like I was the scum of the earth in the midst of an assembly of "Moses."

but I think that there are enough people out there who can be led to Christ through sound doctrine. It is just my view that people want to have the inconsistencies answered. Atheists are especially predisposed to conflict and contradictions which are the result of poor interpretation. Some of these people once sat in a fellowship, perhaps as a child, and due to their nature...looked for excuses to fulfill their nature. And it's true of most who say "I used to be a Christian" that they almost to the man will not tell me what denomination they used to be, because they know that certain distinctives among certain groups are viewed as erroneous by others, and they don't want to give you an edge in their effort to maintain a disobedience to God.

I agree, and I think it will seldom be something that is publicly known, due to man's pride. But I have seen people leave atheist forums after once being very active in it's "ministry." One fellow got enraged because I told him his math was wrong. He took great pride in his mathematical skill and posted the thread "Why the Bible is a lie" or some such nonsense. His position was that because David said he had laid up so much gold and silver for the building of the Temple, he could see the error because even if the Temple was solid...these materials would not have fit in the Temple. He had carefully calculated the materials and compared them to the volume of the Temple (very generous I would say, lol), and they just wouldn't fit. I told him, "You're math is wrong." He cursed me from here to eternity, lol, but the simple truth was...David just said he had laid up those materials, there is nowhere in Scripture that states all those materials were used.

When I checked back in on that forum he was no longer posting. My hope is that he may have seen the syllogistic logic of his position on that, then applied that to other areas of "conflict" he had assumed.

I agree wholeheartedly. There is one here in need of that, but I think he is actually attending a fellowship now.

Sorry again, lol.

Hey, thanks John, I believe this is the first time I've actually had more than a few words with someone on the subject. You have given me something to think about in regards to using "missions," which I had not previously considered. I did have a customer tell me a few weeks ago that they had a speaker who talked about "Forum Evangelism," and while thrilled to hear about it, the term seemed a little strange to my ears, lol. I know of only two people that I would consider "Forum Missionaries," Net Chaplain being one of them, as well as an acquaintance from other forums. They go on many forums, and I admire their faith in what they do.

It is my hope that more people would get involved, and that the tendency to "roost" (which is what I call staying on the same forum) might give way to going out and finding new ground. This may sound strange, but I have wanted to assemble a group that could go out as a team effort and simply overrun some of the forums where false doctrine runs rampant, and the key members put to silence.

Anyway, thanks for the conversation.

Now back to the fray...

;)

God bless.

17. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, he was the Pastor of a church in England, and he has left to go to Japan where he worked when he was younger, so he has a reasonable grasp of the language although he is rusty. I'll try to get you the name of the church; it's in Osaka.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You were wise. Every called missionary I've known was 100% sure of his or her call.

And of course this is so ironic--imitating Christianity which they hate. Buddhists and Shintoists and Taoists and Hindus and Muslims almost never have hymns, but all of modern music is based on the music of Christianity.

I'm not sure I get your point here. What assembly would a Christian Jew at the time of the writing of Hebrews (around 66-70) attend other than a church?

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this begs the question. We are supposed to baptize all believers, and that should be a primary goal in followup whether or not it occurs.

I would call these excuses, not reasons. The church is the focus of God's glory in this age (Eph. 3:20-21). There are no valid, Biblical reasons for not attending a good church.

I hope you'll continue to think deeply about world missions. It's a huge subject and hugely important. The Great Commission was given to both the church and individual Christians, so all should be doing their part in cross-cultural evangelism to reach the world.

20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you misunderstood, I mean we try to get those whose doors we have knocked to the local fellowship, we don't baptize them there or bring the congregation to them.

I feel the same way about Forum Missions. The goal is to see men saved and when one is saved I believe there is going to be a strong desire to obey God, and part of this will be fellowshipping in a local body.

I do not take a view, though, that demands all people must attend a fellowship, because salvation is not dependent upon attendance, but in trusting in Christ.

I would be inclined to agree, however, that does not mean that we don't try to reach them. And, I would add, we have two real possibilities as to who we are dealing with: those who were never saved, or, those who were saved and are in need of restoration.

The man who says he was saved and now hates God for taking his son (and think about that, lol) is one who may need restoration.

And in either case I can tell you that doctrinal confusion is usually a primary reason why the local fellowship is ignored. Many of these people are glad to express their opinions about God on a forum, and when we address those opinions with Scripture it can make a difference. If someone hates God or the Church based on what they think the Bible teaches, when they understand what the Bible teaches in truth and see their justification is based on erroneous understanding, it can make a difference.

There are some valid reasons, physical malady being a primary reason. Many who are elderly simply cannot go to "Church." Those who may be mentally impaired may not go.

But it is a moot point, really, because going to Church does not mean someone is there for the right reason. The priority is for one to understand why we fellowship before we begin thinking that they have to go. Truth is that going is harmful for the religious, who get settled into a mindset that salvation requires it, or, that they are doing God service (as contrasted with worship) for going.

In other words, most will go eventually, I believe, and that is the goal in witnessing to people on the net.

I am very concerned about World Missions.

And...I have been all over the world speaking to people myself, lol. Not that often, but I have spoken to people in some far away lands.

As far as personally doing world missions, if God opens that door, I am not opposed to it. It would have to be something my wife could share in, though. A good reason for not being married, according to Paul, but those are my circumstances right now. Who knows, maybe one day.

God bless.