1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Clarence Sexton

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Martin Marprelate, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm wondering what any brothers here might know about Clarence Sexton. Would he be regarded as a Fundamentalist?

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is in many quarters. Though, IIRC he is a part of the King James Only sector of Fundamentalism.

#2 Squire Robertsson, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
  3. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, Squire R. But would you please clarify the last part of your answer? Thanks! :thumbsup:

4. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.
    I am not in the least interested in pursuing a KJV-only debate. It was just that your first reply appears to contain a misprint, and I'm not quite sure what you were saying.

However, my interest is this. I bought a book by Clarence Sexton, Becoming a First Century Church at the Metropolitan Tabernacle ('Spurgeon's') in London recently, and I thought it was excellent. Because the Met Tab is a Reformed church, I assumed that Sexton must be Reformed in his theology. The I came across the 'Baptist Friends' website http://baptistfriends.org/ and realised that it is a fundamentalist site organized by Sexton, yet the Met Tab is listed as a 'friend.'

Brits like me are not familiar with Fundamentalism because there is only a tiny number of fundy churches in the UK. However, one has been planted in Birmingham (England), and its Pastor, James Zenker, has been invited to speak at the Met Tab. I have heard him and he's very good. This is all quite surprising, because Peter Masters, Pastor of the Met Tab, is firmly Calvinist and amillennial in his theology.

So maybe Reformed folk and Fundamentalists have more in common than we sometimes think!

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I left out the "is a". Sorry. And yes there is an overlap of the two movements. PM me for more info.

7. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So no one else can tell me anything about Clarence Sexton?
    Is he well-regarded in the USA? Is he famous? Is he a faithful preacher? Does he have a 'mega-church'?
    I notice that he has his own seminary, Crown College. Has anybody attended? Or do you know anybody who has? How did they get on?

8. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

I've never attended Crown College as a student, but I did visit its campus which is located in Powell, TN--about a dozen miles NW of Knoxville--several years ago primarily to visit one of its instructors who happened to teach at my high school back in the early 1960's.

Crown has been operating since 1991. I visited their campus in the summer of 1992, which at that time, had a very limited summer session. I didn't get much chance to interact with many of its students, but the ones I did happen to meet were very friendly and seemed to be quite dedicated to serving God in whatever capacity He had called them.

One thing that has concerned me about Crown College is that a large percentage of its faculty either have been, or is in the process of attaining, their degrees from Crown College itself. While there's probably nothing per se wrong with that, it seems to me that Crown apparently has a lot of academic "inbreeding"--IOW, they seem to approve of having their own faculty teach each other rather than seeking out personnel from other universities.

Crown College itself seems to be somewhat of an offshoot of either the now defunct Tennessee Temple University which was located in Chattnooga TN or Bob Jones University in Greenville SC. Both of which were/are fine schools, but certainly ones of the fundamentalist bent.

For its size, I was impressed with the quality of its music program because of its emphasis in more traditional Christian and classical music.

In summary, if a person wishes to get an education with a Baptist fundamentalist position, Crown College might be an option worth investigating.

Clarence Sexton himself used to work with Dr. Lee Roberson who was the founder of Tennessee Temple, and for many years the senior pastor of its sponsoring church, Highland Park BC. I never got to meet Bro. Sexton personally, but he is well-known among the fundamentalist ranks, especially in the east TN region. He pastors Temple BC in Powell.

Since you're from England, you might want to check out their Camp Victory in the Birmingham area.

Not sure if this is what you're seeking to know about Bro. Sexton and/or Crown College, but this is the extent with which I'm familiar with him and his Bible college/Seminary.

9. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only know the man by reputation and a faint one at that. But her goes
    In some circles, remember the continental US is large enough to have three time zones. So a man may be well known in one region and a footnote at best in another. I do know he speaks at annual meetings of the Fundamental Baptist Fellowship International.
    To certain extent. Please see my reply above.I
    Yes, at least other than his stand in the King James debate I haven't heard anything negative.
    By British standards, probably so. By US, he just pastors a large church.
    Hope this helps.

#9 Squire Robertsson, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015
  10. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks very much wpe and Squire.
    Very helpful.

I can certainly recommend his book, Becoming a First Century Church.

11. John I Morris

John I Morris Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Squire, sorry for such a small correction, but we have four time zones in the 48 continental states. East Coast, Central, Mountain and Pacific. Just sayin...

12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Denver, Colorado and Butte, Montana the forgotten cities.