1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Power to choose

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was Paul being polite and using a form of rhetoric when he spoke to the the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers at the Areopagus saying:

Did God not make us with an inward emptiness that can only be filled by his indwelling presence? ...and did he not make us able to search for him?

Rob

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a question brethren... Did Nicodemus choose to be born again?... Brother Glen

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, no one chooses to be born anew, that is an action God performs when we arise in Christ a new creation. God chooses us and sets us apart in Christ through faith in the truth. If He credits our faith as righteousness, He sets us apart in Christ.

But the issue of this thread, the power to choose, deals would our choice to believe in Jesus. Some say we cannot, but scripture says we are saved through faith, meaning our faith, as worthless as a filth rag, is used by God to provide our access to the grace in which we stand, Romans 5:1-2.

4. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We love him because he first loved us!

But my favorite verse and I even have it printed on my Bible is this!

Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

He wrote the plan of Salvation and he finished it!... As I understand scripture it is God that takes the active part and the sinner is passive. Question after the sin of Adam would God again leave the Salvation of his children in their hands?.. Not as I understand scripture!... Genesis 3:15... Brother Glen

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have what scripture teaches, or what we rewrite. Which will it be?

God sets before us life and death and through us as ambassadors pleads with the lost, be reconciled to God. Our faith in Christ provides our access to the grace in which we stand.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you quoting this verse (I John 4:19) as somehow supporting the reformed view of election?

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You bet RM, some rewrite the definition of "love" to mean "compelled." We love Him because He first compelled us. No word or phrase is safe.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...When in the hands of Van.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked tyndale a legitimate question and now your attack may distract from my question and will most certainly tie me to your post here. This is not helpful to further the discussion and it does nothing to promote godly grace to others.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes RM, you asked a legitimate question and I provided an answer. Deal with it.

11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To my understanding that is what scripture teaches but to hash it out and turn this into a Christian vendetta I refuse to do... There is enough on this board already... Brother Glen:godisgood:

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you did not answer it you attacked someone else. That is not an answer neither is it helpful.

13. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I wanted to do that I would go to the C/A Forum and start a thread. I won't do that as the doctrine of Election has been thoroughly explained in the past. I know I was once the Moderator there... Maybe SBM will start one... Brother Glen

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is right RM, we do not love God because He compelled us.

We have the power to choose to trust in Christ or not. But we were drawn by God's lovingkindness toward us. We love Him because He first loved us.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what was your point in post that verse?

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hint, see post #31. :)

17. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Percho--- Here's my take on some of you questions you posed in your post on this thread:

In Revelation 13:8, the Apostle John relates that during the end times, the people who won't worship the Beast are those "whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." The word "Lamb" is used throughout the NT as a reference to Christ. EXAMPLES: John 1:29; 1 Peter 1:19; Revelation 5:6,12,13.

Was one of the biggies, of the works of the devil, the death? See Hebrews 2:14

Paul tells his readers in 1 Corinthians 15:54-57 that it was the resurrected Christ who was victorious over death and the grave.

What is stated in the Word of God to be the last enemy to be destroyed?

Death. See the above-mentioned passage in 1 Corinthians 15.

Did Adam have free will, or was he created, carnal, sold under sin?

In our Life Group meeting last night, the topic of Adam's fall was discussed. The Genesis 2-3 narrative doesn't seem to go into great detail as it pertains to the extent of Adam's understanding of the consequences of disobeying God's command not to partake of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

It would seem that Satan did have some understanding of what would happen to Adam if he disobeyed God's command not to eat of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, but exactly how much knowledge the Devil had is a matter of speculation.

In Adam was God setting a trap for the devil?

I'm not positive that I'd refer to God's actions as a consequence of Adam's fall as God "setting a trap for the devil, but one does read in Genesis 3:15 the first messianic prophecy of the Bible. IOW, Genesis 3:15 is the first example of the protoevangelium[/QUOTE]

18. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [/QUOTE]

Sometimes I do not do a very good job with my questions.

Before the foundation of the world, what was he going to be manifested as, that had yet to be created?

The reason for that question. I understand each of you answering as a lamb.
    But as you stated the Lamb is a reference to the Christ. As of a lamb, without blemish and without spot means sinless.

Before the foundation of the world, man had not been created and it was as a man the Son of God would be manifested.

Was the man Adam created in order for the Son of God to be manifested, as a man, to destroy the works of the devil?

Would this also redeem the created man from something? If the amswer is yes which it appears to me to be, would that not mean that, before the foundation of the world, the man yet to be created was going to need redemption from death, the works of the devil, meaning God created him. flesh and blood, carnal under the law, put him in the presence of the devil, who did exactly what God knew he would and the man reacted exactly as God knew he would and brought death to mankind.

Then in the fullness of time God would through the virgin woman, Mary sent his Son into the world to destroy the works of the devil and redeem man.

The natural law of God is still there for it is also the very nature of God.

Disobedience to it brings curses and obedience brings blessings.

But all die in Adam. And all will be made alive in Christ, and then judgement.

I believe Adam brought death to man just as God knew he would and why God did not create him immortal but in dying he would die and also why God prevented him after he sinned from eating of the tree of life.

19. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the unbeliever dwells comfortably in the realm of darkness and (according to John 3:19-20) prefers that realm, shunning any light, and taking pleasure in the evil, their choices must be bound to the rules of that land.

There is no innate "freedom of choice" or even the ability to make a choice that was not completely consistent with the leadership of that realm of darkness. John 3 makes that very clear.

But, more to the point, the words of the Lord Jesus Christ, in John 6, state that acquiring light (life) is the direct intervention of the Father giving a person to Christ - that person in whom the Holy Spirit gives life. "Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me." And in another place, "63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life." (Note the capital "Spirit" in comparison to "spirit.")

Therefore, the "natural" person, the one who prefers darkness, has no ability, desire and is even repulsed over any indication of the light is changed by the Holy Spirit's work.

Here is a very important point: The believer is a "New Creature." He will carry nothing of the old into eternity. The old will is not part of the new creature - not the body, not the mind, not the will, NOTHING. The old will dies with the mind and body. Teaching and preaching that attempt to present that the old will is some how changed are not correct in this thinking.

Therefore, believers war within themselves because the old will has no desire to be dominated into submission to the New Will. Believers mush "die daily."

2 Corinthians 5:
    17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 18 Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, 19 namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
    The "new will" process is illustrated in Hebrews 8:10 and although this passage refers to Jeremiah's words, they also indicate the transformation of the unbeliever into the believer.
    For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel After those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their minds, And I will write them on their hearts. And I will be their God, And they shall be My people.
    It remains then that the direct and purposed work of God brings to the heathen the new heart and new mind.

The old will remains bound to the realm of darkness, and is obliged to exert all manner of persuasion against the new will. One shackled to the old will (believer or unbeliever) will find no freedom of choice, no freedom of will, only bondage and death.

Jesus addresses the issue(s) of this thread in the following passage from John 8:
    42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but He sent Me. 43Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me. 46 Which one of you convicts Me of sin? If I speak truth, why do you not believe Me? 47He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God.”

The unbeliever has NO freedom of choice/will and NO ability to initiate change or reject the realm in which that person resides. For they are of that family.

Believers are the adopted, the heirs, the only who have true freedom of choice/will and the ability to choose the path of righteousness or unfruitful paths of unrighteousness.

20. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Dr. Bob has already laid the ground rules and said this was a free-will discussion I can only answer that in the C/A Forum. I hope this answers your question... Will I?... Maybe!... Brother Glen