1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HS Football Penalty Question

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Gib, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Gib

Gib Active Member

Last night we ended a 14 game losing streak by beating the 5th ranked team in our division 16-14.

But I have a question for those up on high school football officiating - The other team got a 1st down on the 8 making it 1st and goal. They committed an unsportsmanlike penalty after the play.

The ref's call was to give them a 1st and 10 from the 23, giving them 4 opportunities to get another 1st down. Of course they scored after getting another 1st down. I thought it should have been 1st and goal from 23. How did the refs come up with that decision?

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've seen that on all levels of football. There must have been rule changes some time over the years, as I recall long ago it was as you say you thought-- adding 15 yards to go for a 1st. Maybe it was thought that such enforcement can penalize the offense more than the defense for the same penalty... you can give the offense a 1st and 25, but can't give the defense a 1st and -15.

3. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not all football rules and methods are the same whether HS, College, or Pro!

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Without seeing it first hand, it's hard to call. But, if the call came after the first down, but before play resumed (ie; before the clock resumed), then 1st and 10 on the 23 was probably the correct call.

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After the play it's a 1st down. Before the play, the down is repeated. If the penalty occurs after a touchdown, then the penalty is assessed on the kickoff.

What was the unsportsmanlike conduct?

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

Taunting.........

7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it was actually taunting and not just excessive celebration, then that's unacceptable. That's just a plain lack of discipline.

I played football up to high school and then played semi-pro football for a couple of years. My dad was my coach for many years and he always impressed on us that the worst opponent you'll ever face isn't on the other side of the line of scrimmage, but between your ears. If I had done that, he would have sat me for the next drive.

8. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like your father knew what he was talking about!

9. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not up to snuff on the HS FB rules, but in NCAA and NFL, if it's a dead ball penalty, it should have been 1st and goal from the 23. They already had the 1st down on the 8, so that would make it 1st and goal from there. Then adding the 15 yards for taunting(personal foul penalty) is after the player was ruled down at the 8, therefore, it should have been 1st and goal from the 23.

But HS does have some different penalties and how they dole them out. I've heard 'excessive celebrating"...IE spiking the ball, after a TD, they will take the TD off the scoreboard and give a 15 yard penalty from the previous spot. So who knows?