1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What did Adam and Eve look like??

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by chipsgirl, May 6, 2005.

1. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Were they dark skinned or light or medium? Did they look like the humans today? Did they have belly buttons????

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Chipsgirl,

Max Lucado has a story in one of his books about the church of Belly Button Fuzz. The message of the story is how much time churches waste fighting over things that don't matter, and how church division starts. Basically the story goes that once there was a church where the question of "did Adam and Eve have belly buttons" came up. The people got in a huge fight and the church split between "belly button" people and "non-belly button people." The belly button people moved into a new church and it seemed to be doing fine until the question of "innie or outie" came up. The church divided again. Well, they moved on in their new church, content they had the only answer - and then the question came up of, "did they have belly button or not?" And the church divided once more until finally, all the folks that used to be at First Church were now members of the "Belly Button Lint Church," but they discovered they'd spent so much time worrying about belly buttons they hadn't won a single soul to Christ.

Its a cute story.
    Its also kind of an important story.

I don't believe God cares about "skin color" any more than we care about "fur color" on most animals. I hear a lot of talk today about what Christ had to have looked like since he was Jewish, and I can't help but think, every man, woman, and child living in the world today is decended from Noah. So apparently the members of Noah's family were a color lot of folks.

3. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I know I shouldn't waste time with these questions but I am curious to know.
    I was always the annoying kid who asked "why?" to everything. I think my curiosity helped my grades in college though. If I waneted to know about something then I would research it. I learned a lot.

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just an fyi that skin colour is a product of the amount of a pigment called melanin in your skin. When you tan, your body produces more melanin which absorbs the light of the sun, minimizing DNA mutations that can cause things like skin cancer. However, folks with a lot of melanin in areas of low sunlight can develop rickets which is a vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D production in our bodies depends on sunlight.

5. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

I bet they were pretty good-lookin' folks.

6. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I'm taking it no one can really help me with these questions. :confused: I know there is no correct answer but I figured someone would have an educated thought on the subject. :(

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Chipsgirl,

My apologies to you. I didn't mean for my quote of the Lucado work to come across as fussing at you for asking.

I'm a tad hypersensitive to these kind of questions because when I usually encounter them it is either from an athiest who is badgering a Christian, or from a new Christian who has been talking to an athiest. The athiest gets the young Christian so confused and turned around that the young Christian ends up frustrated, confused, and sometimes very, very blackslidden because they can't come up with an answer to satisfy the athiest. The athiest would NEVER be satisfied, even if a respected scientiest like Einstein had said, "I can prove the existence of God."

If you are curious and asking for yourself, I recommend you prowl through a good Christian bookstore, as there are several wonderful books out there that deal with these kind of questions. In fact, at home in my library is one called, "Did Adam Have a Belly Button?" Another is "Answering Difficult Questions About the Bible." (I may have those titles a little off, I don't have the books right in front of me.) They are wonderful books for these kind of questions though.

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think I can comment intelligently on the height of Adam and Eve. Until very recently in human history, humans were shorter than they are now due to the increased nutrition of the developed world. So Adam and Eve were probably pretty short by today's standards. Although I guess God could have formed them as tall as today's folks.

9. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Adam literally means "red man". It also translates to "to show blood" (particularly in the face).

From this, we can hypothesize that he had a reddish, or ruddy (as in the case of David), complexion.

I have heard good arguments both for and against Adam's having a belly button. Suffice it to say, scripture does not tell us, so we can only speculate.

I lean toward the side of his not having one, since there would have been no reason to have one, as he was never a child in a womb.

Of course, I could very easily be wrong, and that is okay with me.

If I am going to be wrong about something, I would much rather it be something that no one can prove I am wrong about. :D

10. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I am asking here because no one else would answer me when I was little. I like the answers you all just posted and Txsky, I will have to take your advice on the books. I'm very much a Christian and not an aethist. I never knew there was a debate on the subject.
    I've decided that there would have been no belly buttons. Afterall, it's kind of like a scar. It's a result of something. If they didn't come from a womb then it couldn't have been there.
    Golddragon, I believe you about the height bit. Humans are taller now than then.
    Since they were made from the dust of the earth, then maybe they were the color of the dirt. That would go with being a ruddy color like Golddragon said.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Something else to consider...did Jesus have a belly button prior to His coming to earth, and does He have one now in His perfect body?

I think both Adam and Eve had belly button's. A belly button is a human attribute, like a nose, ears, even a colon. We were made in God's image. I don't believe you need a physical birth to have a physical attribute, after all, Adam was raised up out of the dirt of the ground.

12. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Exactly, so why would he have the mark of being attached to a placenta if he never was?

I think Jesus would have a belly button since he came from the womb.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly, so why would he have the mark of being attached to a placenta if he never was?

I think Jesus would have a belly button since he came from the womb.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Remember, that Jesus was fully God and fully man even in heaven prior to His arrival on earth. Whenever the Bible mentions "the Angel Of God" in the Old Testament, this is in reference to Jesus.

Coming from the dirt, shouldn't we have roots also? :D [​IMG]

14. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

But Mary had him in her womb. He was born a human.

15. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I agree with Chipsgirl. When he was born as an earthly child he had to have one.

16. atestring

atestring New Member

No belly button on Adam. he was breathed into, rather than being born.
    There was no need for a cord.

17. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

Well maybe he had a belly button and maybe he didn't we don't know for sure . God could have given him one anyway if he had wanted to.

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

ah.... but did he have LINT?

19. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO WAY!! Least not till after God made them "clothes"! :D [​IMG]

20. Gib

Gib Active Member

Diane, all his lint was in the right pocket of his chinos.