1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Council for Christian Colleges and Universities

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by wpe3bql, Aug 28, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

In the most recent issue of World magazine there was a very revealing article by J. C. Derrick entitled "Christian Crossroads: Higher Ed Coalition Begins to Fragment Over Gay Marriage."

The article points out that that the CCCU could be set to lose several of its 122 members. Why? One example is Union University in Jackson, TN.

Union--which the article claims is the oldest SBC university in the country--left the CCCU because , according to Union president Samuel Oliver claimed that CCCU appears to think that the church's engagement in illicit $eXuaL behavior is open for debate.

Shirley Hoogsta, CCCU's president expressed her belief in marriage as a union between a man and a woman is not up for re-interpretation.

This controversy, no doubt being reinforced by the recent SCOTUS ruling on gay marriage, is one reason why both Eastern Mennonite University and Goshen College left the CCCU because both institutions of higher learning have recently changed their hiring policies to include persons in same-$eX marriages. It seems that these two once relatively evangelical in most of their traditions want to see the CCCU to alter its stance on traditional marriage.

Charles Pollard, president of John Brown University urged the CCCU to remain firm in its biblical position on what constitutes marriage in God's eyes. Pollard went on to state that, "To be identified with an organization that fails to address [marriage-related] issues with a unanimous voice weakens our argument for a fundamental principle."

Derrick's article went on to state that "The CCCU is the only association advocating for Christian higher education, but not all Christian schools are members of it for various reasons such as CCCU's rather demanding liberal arts criteria.

Some presidents of Christian institutes of higher learning are considering forming a new organization that would reflect the views of lowering their schools' hiring standard to reflect a more modern outlook on contemporary society.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Another article in the same issue featured an interview by Marvin Olasky with political philosopher J. Budziszewski over the ever-increasing effects that Darwinism has had on today's college students.

His point was that in many high schools and colleges, Darwinism has been promoted for so many years as a proven fact that man doesn't have to answer to a Divine Creator. Therefore this revolution in social morals that began in earnest in the 1960's is so well planted in many schools that were founded on biblical principles several decades ago that many students are now so confused over whether the traditional social morals of their more Bible-centered grandparents really what kept them together rather than the seeming lack of commitment to the marriage vows of their "Christian" parents--which has produced a divorce rate similar to than of non-Christian couples.

While there are other contributing factors that may have an effect on our modern divorce rate, it would appear that the grandparents who based their marriages on the concept of life-long commitment to their marriage partners also seems to have produced marriages that seem to be more happy and fulfilled than that of the average Christian parents who got married in the era of "No-fault divorce."

Budziszewski noted in this interview that, "We haven't a chance of getting people to live a Christian way of life if they think it is just a collection of joy-killing rules. What we should explain is that Christian morality is a prerequisite for happiness and that it makes us more free, not less--free to do what is good rather than being jerked around by desires. People need to have the vision of the good that temptation is pulling them away from."

To me, these two articles alone are well worth the $60 per year for this bi-weekly magazine. You may want to check their website at www.wng.org for more details.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They've neither left nor been expelled, that's why those others are miffed.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Union is not an SBC school.

4. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Please forgive me when I stated the Union was an SBC school. Apparently it was at one time associated with the Tennessee Baptist Convention, but is no longer connected with them or the SBC in general.

Since I've never been directly connected with any SBC church or school, I don't know that much about when a particular school chooses to disassociate with the SBC. I do know that Nashville's Belmont University broke away from any direct ties with the TBA/SBC some 5 or so years ago, but that's all I do know about it.

Sorry that this minor error occurred, but that wasn't really the crux of my OP. It was more about why some Christian colleges are now trying to compromise some of their long-held standards to appear more closely identified with the ways of this modern world.

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev Mitchell,

I have let this post go for days and did not want to get into the fray. Let me correct the record:

1. Union University it an SBC school. And it is indeed one of the oldest, if not the oldest SBC school.

2. Is it aligned with the Tennessee Baptist Convention, which is aligned with the Southern Baptist Convention.

3. I do now and have for several years taught ethics as an adjunct with them. I am scheduled to teach it again in January.

4. I am an ordained SBC minister.

5. I am a graduate of Mid America Baptist Theological Seminary in Memphis, TN. It was long supported by Bellvue Baptist Church and Adrian Rogers.

6. I am a graduated from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

7. I hope to correct the misconception that UU is NOT an SBC entity.

Please take these assertions as Gospel.

Thanks for the time and support.

rd

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It is not an SBC school. There are in fact only six SBC schools which are:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Revmitchell,

Please consider the following hyperlink http://www.sbc.net/colleges/

It will help clear up some of the confusion of who and what is an SBC college, seminary, or university.

Thank you dear brother for your open mind.

Rhetorician

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes thank you:

"...With the exception of the five theological colleges associated with our SBC seminaries, the Southern Baptist Convention has no direct connection with any of these institutions. It provides no funding. It elects no trustees."