1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free Logos books 2015

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Deacon, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Free Vyrso Classic

A Life of Obedience [Vyrso LINK] ..... [Kindle LINK]

by Andrew Murray (reprint 2004)

Andrew Murray traces obedience through the Bible, from Genesis to the final chapter of Revelation, in a warm, inspirational devotional study. It looks at the issue of obedience in the lives of Bible characters and focuses the reader's attention on the obedience of Christ. Practical as well as inspiring, A Life of Obedience speaks to today's reader as clearly as it did to his audience a century ago.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    September's free book of the month

Free Book of the Month for September

Mentor Commentary: Amos [LINK]

by Gary V. Smith, (1998)

The book of Amos is full of wordplays, double entendres, pictorial visions, and direct statements of fact and judgment. Smith's job is to address the historical, stylistic and interpretative aspects of Amos: not just what is written, but also how and why the prophecies are recorded. To do this, Smith divides each of his chapters as follows:
    Important textual and philological questions
    Background study on the literary traditions and forms of speech employed
    Rhetorical markers of structure that unite paragraphs or larger units
    Exegetical issues of interpretation
    Main theological themes within each unit

Smith deals especially well with the last of these. Each chapter ends with him drawing together the interpretative threads arising from the passage.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free Zondervan Book by Walter Kaiser

Free Zondervan Book: The Promise-Plan of God, A Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testaments [LINK]
    by Walter Kaiser (2008)

Normally $27.68 (hardcover)

Here are the opening words of the Introduction:

"The emphasis on diversity within Scripture is so pervasive in our day that most biblical scholars would judge any other approach to biblical theology as being out of keeping with the current lines of thinking for this discipline. As Gerhard Maier noted: "It is difficult to speak of a “center” of Scripture today, because the rubric “center of Scripture” is often separated from the “unity of Scripture.” While the two were closely identified at the time of the Reformation, the Enlightenment disengaged them. Indeed, the “center of Scripture” practically replaced the lost “unity of Scripture.

"Accordingly, in an attempt to return to those pre-critical times, especially as enjoyed in the Reformation, I will argue for a textually derived “center” that simultaneously parallels the case for the “unity of the Bible.” I believe that a biblical center and its accompanying unity were strongly attested, especially by the writers of the New Testament, who taught that the doctrine of the Messiah, the Anointed One of God, was preserved as a record of the “promise” (or promise-plan) made by God; yet it first appeared in all parts of the Old Testament, even though it appeared there under a constellation of different but synonymous names (such as “word,” “rest,” “blessing,” and the like). This case can be presented by describing ten scriptural generalizations of the promise-plan of God. But first, let us seek to define the unifying plan that Scripture displays."

Then, later, this:

"My definition of the promise-plan of God would be as follows: "The promise-plan is God’s word of declaration, beginning with Eve and continuing on through history, especially in the patriarchs and the Davidic line, that God would continually be in his person and do in his deeds and works (in and through Israel, and later the church) his redemptive plan as his means of keeping that promised word alive for Israel, and thereby for all who subsequently believed. All in that promised seed were called to act as a light for all the nations so that all the families of the earth might come to faith and to new life in the Messiah."

Walter C. Kaiser Jr, The Promise-Plan of God: A Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testaments (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2008), 17, 19.

AND FREE ON VYRSO

Fire Someone Today: And Other Surprising Tactics for Making Your Business a Success [LINK] by Bob Pritchett, owner and founder of FaithLife (2006)

Far from a treatise on giving employees the axe, Fire Someone Today uses four categories—People, Leadership, Finance, and Operations—to cover a wide range of issues unique to the more than 20 million small business owners in the United States. Filled with hands-on advice and practical examples from real businesses, the book takes a no-nonsense approach to the uncomfortable decisions and actions that every manager, business owner, or entrepreneur must face.

#83 Deacon, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There seems to be some trouble in Logos-land - much of their site is down.
    You'll have to check back there later when things are working but...

Today's FREEBIE FRIDAY is Harvard Classics: The Will to Believe, and other Essays in Popular Philosophy by William James

The offer's good 'til midnight Pacific time.

Go to blog.Noet.com for more information and the offer code.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like things are finally up and running on the FaithLife sites.

Today's Freebie Friday offer is:

The Will to Believe, and Other Essays in Popular Philosophy [LINK]

by William James

Coupon Code: PHILOSOPHY

William James (1842–1910) was born at the Astor House in New York City.
    His father, Henry James Sr., was a Swedenborgian theologian.
    His godfather was poet and philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Contents include:
    • The Will to Believe
    • Is Life Worth Living?
    • The Sentiment of Rationality
    • Reflex Action and Theism
    • The Dilemma of Determinism
    • The Moral Philosopher and the Moral Life
    • Great Men and Their Environment
    • The Importance of Individuals
    • On Some Hegelisms
    • What Psychical Research Has Accomplished

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the Ladies...

Free to Be Me: Becoming the Young Woman God Created You to Be [LINK] . . . [KINDLE]

by Stasi Eldredge

Who am I, really? How do I figure out what to do with my life? Does anybody really care about me? Why can't I be as pretty as her?

Stasi Eldredge understands the doubts, struggles, and fears you are facing. She has been there! Now Stasi invites you to walk with her as she helps you understand the lies this world tries to sell you, and believe that God sees you as beautiful and worthy—right now. With honesty and grace, Stasi will help you see the hand of God in your story and trust Him with your every hope and dream.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Due to the system failure it's Super Saturday too: the Freebie was extended for another day.

And here's one that's always been free but I thought I'd mention.

The recently digitalized Codex Sinaiticus [LINK]

Published by The British Library, Leipzig University Library, St Catherine’s Monastery at Sinai, and the National Library of Russia (2013)

Handwritten well over 1,600 years ago, the manuscript contains the Christian Bible in Greek, including the oldest complete copy of the New Testament. Its heavily corrected text is of outstanding importance for the history of the Bible and the manuscript—the oldest substantial book to survive Antiquity—is of supreme importance for the history of the book. The codex itself is much more than the New Testament—it contains a large portion of the Septuagint, including apocryphal texts, and transcriptions of two books of the Apostolic Fathers.

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two Free Vyrso Books

Limited Time Offer

Two Free Books

Stronger: Trading Brokenness for Unbreakable Strength [Vyrso] . . . [Kindle]

by Jim Daly and James Lund (2010)

President and CEO of Focus on the Family Jim Daly intertwines engaging true stories with Biblical wisdom to show how God can use struggles to strengthen the faith of his followers.

He Is My Life: Living to Love Others as Jesus Did (Design4living) [Vyrso] . . . [Kindle]

by Debbie Alsdorf (2008)

Christ's call to love everyone is easy to accept but tough to live. While it's a simple message, life is a bit more complicated. ... Yet God longs for us to experience a genuine change of heart, as His extravagant love naturally flows through us to others.

He Is My Life is a ten-week journey to enhancing our relationships with God and people. This study shares biblical insights for learning to walk in love. Each day's selection features room for your thoughts, allowing you to journal and meditate on your personal journey. You'll discover how to receive and share God's love, experience healing from emotional wounds, and deepen your personal relationships.

The Design4Living series is designed for women seeking to connect God's word with their daily life. Each guide is ideal for both individual and group study.

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get The Works of John Owen, Vol. 14: True and False Religion [LINK] for free—a Facebook-exclusive offer.

This volume contains Owen’s exhaustive response to an attempt by Franciscan Friar John Vincent Cane to recommend Roman Catholicism as the remedy for religious and civil discord in Britain.

The volume also includes a lengthy excursus on the state of seventeenth century Protestantism—use code OWENFB to claim your free book.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Noet Freebie Friday - Classic Sci-Fi

Noet offers classic science fiction with today's Freebie Friday

Today only get H.G. Wells, The Time Machine [LINK] for free.

Use Coupon Code: INVENTION

First published in 1895, The Time Machine launched both H.G. Wells’ writing career and the literary genre of science fiction. This classic novella relates an explorer’s journey 800,000 years into the future. Throughout the story, Wells explores class, human nature, and scientific innovation.

[...and if you're really interested you can pick up the machine from a friend of my named Sheldon for a low price. :smilewinkgrin: ]

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three Free

True Religion [LINK] .... [Kindle]
    by Palmer Chinchen (3010)

Give your life away to change this world and God will change you for the best.

A rising voice in the missional movement, Palmer Chinchen challenges Christians to a new kind of spiritual formation—one focused on pouring out our life for others and radical dependence upon God.

The Wiersbe Bible Study Series: Ephesians [LINK].... [KINDLE]
    by Warren W. Wiersbe (2009)

Amid a society where wealth is often the measurement of success, popular author Warren Wiersbe unpacks the book of Ephesians to prove the countercultural nature of the Gospel. Through helpful illustrations and analysis, he opens your eyes to the riches that believers already have, frequently without knowing or taking advantage of them.

Cents and Sensibility: How Couples Can Agree about Money [LINK] .... [KINDLE]
    by Scott Palmer, B. M. Palmer {2013)

Conflicts about money are often the key source of arguments between couples. That's because most of the time, spouses look at financial matters very differently. One might be a "saver" while the other is a "spender." But neither type is necessarily "right" in the way they choose to handle family funds.

This is a guidebook to help married and engaged couples build (or rebuild) their relationship by working together on financial issues. With God's principles at work, there is hope for arriving at financial balance! Couples learn to understand and respect each other, and by communicating more effectively, can begin the journey to financial harmony—and joy!

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rob, how many of these have you actually read?

13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I primarily use the commentaries for reference.
    I have a few favorite books:

Justification Reconsidered: Rethinking a Pauline Theme by Stephen Westerholm, (2013)

Esther: Evangelical Exegetical Commentary (EEC) Anthony Tomasino (2013)

...and the recent:

The Promise-Plan of God: A Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testaments by Walter C. Kaiser Jr. (2008)

I don't read the "popular" books very often. ...but there are a few I've liked.

Rob

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't gone to Amazon to check this one out yet. Does he get close to Tom Wright's view?
    I trust material by Kaiser.

How does that line go? Too many books and not enough time. I can alter that slightly. Too many good books,but too little time.

15. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to schedule my exercise time or I'll spend it reading.

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two Vyrso Freebies - limited time

Fields of the Fatherless: Discover the Joy of Compassionate Living [VYRSO LINK] . . . [KINDLE]
    by Tom Davis (2008)

In Bible times, God maintained a special provision for the less fortunate. As His people harvested their fields, they were instructed to always leave a portion of the crops for those in need. Today, God's heart continues to beat for the poor, the widows, and the fatherless. And as His children, our divine commission remains the same, a directive that's nothing less than the heart of the Christian message.

Author Tom Davis encourages us to move beyond words and become Christ to those in need. Join Tom as he shares a journey from around the world and our own backyard as people's lives are changed through the power of compassion. Filled with remarkable stories of hope and mercy, Fields of the Fatherless will inspire you to love "the least of these," and discover the joy found in becoming the hands and feet of Christ, His way.

The Heart of Worship [VYRSO LINK]
    by David C Cook, Adam Palmer

The Heart of Worship by Matt Redman has become one of the most beloved and popular songs among worshippers the world over. Its very lyrics will inspire and motivate you to seek a closer relationship with God, but this devotional offers you much more—it will take you on a remarkable 30-day journey of worship and devotion that will change your life forever.

Examine the song one line at a time, explore the rich themes of what it means to abandon yourself to worship, raise your hands and sing "It's all about You, Jesus!" Each four-page devotion includes a Scripture, a powerful reflection, and a prayer that will move you ever closer to the heart of God.

17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Noet Classics Freebie Friday

ONLY TWO MORE WEEKS OF NOET FREEBIE FRIDAY'S

TODAY ONLY

The Method, Meditations, and Philosophy of Descartes [LINK]

By René Descartes

Use coupon code CARTESIAN at checkout.

Philosopher, scientist and mathematician, René Descartes distrusted every belief but his own conscious thinking.
    He is known as the Father of Modern Philosophy.
    You've studied him in high school or college and heard his famous quote, "Cogito ergo sum, I think, therefore I am."
    It's time you read something by him.

18. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three limited time freebies

11: Indispensable Relationships You Can't Be Without [VYRSO LINK] . . . [KINDLE]
    by Leonard Sweet (2012)

As believers, our journey is just as important as the destination. And because relationships are essential to our walk through life, it is vital that we partner with people who positively impact our world. Dr. Leonard Sweet believes these essential people are found in the pages of God's Word. Using eleven classic figures from the Bible, Dr. Sweet details key personal attributes that make up God's Dream Team for your life. Readers of all ages will be encouraged to not only seek out such people, but to find their place with those around them.

Trophy Child: Saving Parents from Performance, Preparing Children for Something Greater Than Themselves [VYRSO LINK] . . . [KINDLE]

by Ted Cunningham (2012)

Written for every mom who helps too much with homework just to impress the teacher and every dad who takes credit for his daughter’s soccer success, Trophy Child will give parents the encouragement they need to nurture their kids into who God created them to be.
    Our culture’s obsession with achievement often leads parents to form expectations for their kids based on the world’s standards, not on the Bible. As a result, their kids feel they never measure up.

Real Valor: A Charge to Nurture and Protect Your Family [VYRSO LINK] . . . [KINDLE]

by Steve Farrar (2013)

We need to take a long, hard look at Boaz. He was an average Joe—but God was at work in every circumstance of his life, not only for him, but for generations of his children yet to come.
    By the way, that’s exactly what the Lord is doing in your life.
    Boaz became a part of the greatest story in history when he made his decision to marry Ruth. In a culture that deflates masculinity and reflects the sad state of fatherhood in our world today, Boaz stands as an example of true biblical manhood. In the pages of Real Valor, Steve Farrar’s third installment in the Bold Men of God series, find the courage to rise up and shepherd your family in the way of Boaz.

19. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vyrso and Kindle limited time free book

The Wiersbe Bible Study Series: Philippians, Even When Things Go Wrong, You Can Have Joy [LINK] . . . [KINDLE]
    by Warren W. Wiersbe (2010)

Unlock the treasure of the “joy epistle,” which pinpoints the joy-stealers in life and shows why you don’t need to be anxious. Like us, the believers at Philippi needed to understand what it means to be joyful in Christ, no matter what the circumstances may be. However, God wants us to discover the secret of true joy and contentment by living in His will.

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Final Noet Freebie Friday

It’s the final Noet Freebie Friday! Get One of Oscar Wilde’s Greatest Works for Free.

Today’s freebie, The Importance of Being Earnest [LINK] was first performed in 1895. The play’s upper-class characters create fictitious personas to find ways around stringent social standards. Featuring clever dialogue, comical plot twists, and a multitude of puns, Wilde provides scintillating commentary on Victorian-era customs and manners.

Use coupon code: OSCARWILDE