1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians Tithe on Gambling Winnings?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Ben W, Feb 1, 2005.

?
  1. Yes.

83.7%
  2. No.

16.3%
  3. Unsure.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

A poll on Gambling.

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

Should Christians gamble for money period? No.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

What if you don't believe that tithing is a practice for the church?

4. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I don't believe Christians should gamble for money, and I don't believe that tithing is a practice for the church.

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

A better question would be,
    Of course the answer is no. God wants your tithe, but more than that. He wants all you have. As long as you hold back 90% or 1% and declare,
    then you are not yielded to His will.

6. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I don't agree with gambling. What if someone gives you a gift or you take out a student loan for income? Should you give part of that too? I just never thought about it before.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    then you are not yielded to His will. </font>[/QUOTE]I have heard similar arguments before, and when it comes down to practicalities, it's quite dumb. Paul admonishes in both Corinthians and II Thessalonians that we shoud work to provide our own living. So if you take your pay and "give it (all) to God" (which usually means give it to the church, parachurch, or charitable gifts) you have not done what scripture says to do. If you think 'giving it to God' also means buying your own baloney and bread, there is no difference in a Christian doing that as a nonbeliever.

But getting down to your supposed meaning that we must be responsible with our means of living and ideally divide everything we can do with our money as for God or against God, this would be the hardest for modern Americans to really stomach. Do you own the cheapest automobile to operate (supposing you 'require' a car), buy the cheapest cuts of meat, the cheapest canned or dried foods, the cheapest clothes? use no electricity, run no water, use no phone minutes, et al, et al, which are not absolutely essential? If God demands 100%, and you think you are acknowledging that, then you consider yourself above those who live in grass huts wearing loincloth and grow or barter for everything they use. And if you consider yourself 'above' such people, then how does God own 100%, or even close to it, of what you have?

BTW, on the question of tithing gambling winnings... do those of you who say you would not tithe such winnings or willingly as a church accept such tithes, would you accept the tithes from plundering a city and killing all the people there and taking the spoils? That is what Abraham tithed, which is often the example of why we "under grace" and not law should still tithe.

8. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

If any of you do win the lottery and your church will not accept your tithe you can mail it to mine.

As a preacher once said to a packed house who had come expressly for the purpose of seeing what he would say since his wife won $27,000 in the State Lottery, "The Devil had that money long enough."

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

If I win it, I give to the church.

I have never played a cash lottery.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I figure the devil has had it long enough!

I don't support any form of gambling, amounts to a tax on those that can least afford it. Just look at the buildings, events and salaries they are paying...where do you think it comes from?

11. paulsfocus

paulsfocus New Member

I don't gamble, I've never gambled, I believe it is bad stewardship.

But, if you gamble, and win, which rarely happens(I know I've lived in Vegas almost all my life), Praise the Lord give it to the Church, Give it to Mission's.
    It's all debt paper anyway, it's not a real tithe unless it's of the increase (Deut. 14:22, Deut. 14:28[notice old testament]). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that debt isn't increase.

12. BibleMaMa

BibleMaMa New Member

A rule of thumb---

ALL MONEY IS GODS! So that should answer your questions on what to tithe on and what not to tithe on.

GOD OWNS IT ALL but only requires you to give 10% of ALL AND ANY MONEY YOU GET!
    Even the quarter you found on the street. 2.5 cents is Gods.

13. music4Him

music4Him New Member

There was a saying that I heard somewhere that said something about "ill gotten gain"...... does anyone know what that saying is? and is it biblcal?

14. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Shouldn't gamble and shouldn't tithe.

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's wrong with "ill-gotten gain?" I collect my sick pay when I'm entitled to it.

16. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

ill gotten gains = money that has "murky origins" (as in blood money)

17. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Hardsheller, amen.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How is playing the stock market any diferent than gambling. It is still statistics.

19. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Like in these scriptures maybe? But it says dishonest gain.

Eze 22:13 -
    Behold, therefore I have smitten mine hand at thy dishonest gain which thou hast made, and at thy blood which hath been in the midst of thee.

Eze 22:27 -
    Her princes in the midst thereof are like wolves ravening the prey, to shed blood, and to destroy souls, to get dishonest gain.

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ""(as in blood money)""

When Abe went on his bloody revenge mission and brought back so many spoils of war, was it blood money that he tithed to Melchidezek?