1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Our Church Is Really Going Down The Drain--help!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Sep 12, 2006.

1. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Dear Brethren,

Please pray for me as I fight the “good fight” against our church elders and deacons who are slowly turning our church into a Pentecostal church, complete with doctrines of demons. No kidding.

Our church is a CBA church and was founded by a kind missionary couple from the Conservative Baptists Foreign Missions Society almost 25 years ago. Yes, we are celebrating our 25th year in existence this October.

It all started when our pastor of two years resigned—he had a strong Baptist background. However, our elders and deacons come from different Christian denominations, a few of them from the Pentecostal faith. When our pastor resigned, our church council decided to adopt the G12 church growth movement of Cesar Castellanos of Columbia, a charismatic preacher.

They have adopted the whole teachings of this Columbian group, hook, line, and sinker.

Most of our church members, upon the prodding of our leaders, have enrolled in this Encounter God Retreat (EGR)of G12. And those who have undergone EGR are, under strict instructions, not to reveal what has transpired.

But upon careful investigation, secret interviews, and strict observation, this is what has happened and is happening:

1. Our elders are committing the mistake of the Colossians by saying that all members of the church should undergo EGR to be a “complete” Christian by undergoing deliverance from curses and additional “processing.” They undermine the sufficiency of Christ.
    2. A majority of members have experienced being “Slain in the Spirit”—a backdoor for demonic invasion!
    3. Our leadership is deceiving the members by not revealing the denomination of the parties involved in conducting the G12 EGR—Bethel Bible College—upon inspecting their website—aha!—the Philippine regional college of the Assemblies of God!
    4. Our leadership is deceiving the members by letting them undergo the baptism of the Holy Spirit—a secondary experience believed by Pentecostals that is needed by Christians in order to progress in life!
    5. A major paradigm shift is happening in our church right now: From “what saith the Lord” to “let us not hinder what the Holy Spirit has in store for us.” We are no longer encouraged to test the spirits.
    6. The church leadership is now open to accepting, as from the Lord, “visions” and “prophecies” from Cesar Castellanos and Paul Yonggi Cho of Korea.
    7. The church leadership is openly defying the Conservative Baptists of the Philippines Affirmations and Denials, a document prohibiting all CBA churches from having anything to do with Pentecostal teachings and practices.
    8. Our church leadership has invited a charismatic preacher who constantly ridicules Baptists saying, “I’d rather join a charismatic or Pentecostal group—a ‘happy’ group.”
    9. The church leadership now labels critics of their program as PHARISEES, who have yet to be transformed by God’s grace.
    10. Scripture twisting is running amuck in recent sermons in order to support the Pentecostal agenda.

We in the minority, I guess eight out of 250, need your prayers for wisdom and protection.

I need your precious advice too.

Right now I am making a long and detailed letter addressed to the CBA Secretary General and Acting President, with copies furnished to the CBA General Assembly.

I am going to send the letter two weeks before our anniversary celebrations—which I am sure, judging from the last few weeks—will just be a charismatic/Pentecostal celebration complete with rock music, shouting, clapping, swaying, and charismatic witchcraft.

You may ask why not I leave the church? I love our church. I was the sidekick of the American church planter. I am one of the incorporators of the church.
    It was in this church where I was baptized.

Please, please pray for me as I contend for the faith and fight the good fight.

Robert :type:

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, Robert! How difficult this must be for you!! I know that God can do anything but if the leaders and congregation begin to follow someone other than God, they may not turn back to Him. I'll pray and you 8 get together in intercessory prayer for your church - and be prepared to "dismount the dead horse".

I'm so sorry!
    Ann

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Robert

I am and I will be praying for you.

The charimatics did that to a lot of churches in the 1970's. A church takeover is so much less efficient that just going out and letting God work through you. That is, if you believe the Holy Spirit will work through you, it is more effective to let Him start a church through you.

Wayne

4. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praying here too, Robert. You probably think things couldn't be any worse, but buckle up ... 'cause things will get worse before they get better. :praying:

5. Pete

Pete New Member

8 vs 250.... :tonofbricks:

Robert, I join with the other posters here in praying that God will reverse this flood in the Church. As annsni said though be prepared to "dismount the dead horse". I had to do a similar thing a few years ago, it does hurt but God always opens doors.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me thinks y'all is outn'mb'rd, kabayan, 'less of cou'se, the big Three in One decides ta git inta th' fray, y'know whut ah mean ?

mah sistah got so immersed in that thang yars 'go, she actually tried ta raise a dead cuzzin of ours. Ya'll kin imagine the constunashion of our aunts and uncs.

Then one time, it was rainin' real hard, and the streets were all flooded, and the car we were all in just gurgled up and conked out, and she got out and began rebukin' the engine !!

Those folks kin git real strange, yo.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Robert,

I will be praying for you. I have seen this happen too many times to be surprised.

I know that this will sound harsh, but is this still your church? From your description of it, the church you so lovingly helped to birth and serve for all those years has quit existing.

Yes, God is able to win by a few or by many. But, in my opinion, as in the church at Laodicea, God has removed His lampstand from it.

I pray that it will be resolved Biblically. And I pray that God will heal your broken heart.

8. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Robert,

A couple of questions if you please.

Are you still in a leadership role? If so what position? What do your church constitution and by laws call out for as to doctrinal beliefs? Bylaws cannot be rewritten on a whim but must followed for that is why they are there. Hold you church leadership to the by laws with no exceptions. If you are going to fight the good fight do not just use prayer use the weapons of reason and legality.

If you have no bylaws and no constitution you have no authority, invite those who will to form another body and write Icabod over the present congregation and get out. If you fight without any written authority behind you IMO you will become tired, worn out, acceptable to bitterness, dissolutioned and will eventually develop apathy and perhaps quit or walk away from your faith.

With this in mind I understand that our Lord God is the only one who can give you true guidance at this time and you must do what you are led to do, none the less don'y let emotion overshadow common sense and direction.

I will pray for

Thjplgvp

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Robert, I think your only hope is to get access to the podium (by permission, not force) and get some bible doctrine in front of the people. Bring in a good bible teacher to help you if possible. Otherwise, 250 vs 8, guess who wins?

10. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

My advice...

My dear brother... My would advise the following:

Go to the following links and print them out... and distribute the following:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3 Print ALL 2 PARTS!

If after reading these. there is no change. I would make a clean break, The Bible is VERY clear on issues of seperation from those who preach false doctrines.

I will be praying for you and this matter, it is not one to be taken lightly. One must pray and seek the Lord Guidence in a situation, But one must follow the Bible.

Praying for you... :praying:

-WTD

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Im praying for ya too!

Do you need help out there? I know some long-established missionaries in Iloilo City who might be able to give you counsel.......perhaps even send you to someone they know in your area.

12. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Robert,

I don't know how the Baptist organization your church belongs to operates, but if it is like most Baptist groups here in the states, churches are independent and autonomous. About the only thing your organization could do would be to disfellowship the church. As for affecting the policy of an independent, autonomous congregation, I've never really seen that disfellowshipping leads to the church returning to the fold. Usually all that does is set them free to become what they were already in the process of becoming.

God has ways and means of moving people around where he wants and needs them to be. Find a Baptist church close by where you and the 8 or 9 other people who feel alienated and alone would be needed assets to the ministry and join it en-masse one Sunday. The welcome and gratitude you experience there will, at the very least, make you feel better and in the long run, you will become very useful and needed.

13. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Hi Thjplgvp,

I used to be in a leadership role. We have bylaws and a constitution but to the elders they are just pieces of paper.

I was advised by our former pastor to write the Philippine CBA headquarters, and he said, that should "do the trick." :tongue3:

Actually, I'm not that tired yet. (I see to it that I run five days a week as part of my regular exercise routine. :smilewinkgrin: )

Robert

14. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Hi Bapmom,

Actually, Iloilo City is around 300 miles away. Our former pastor is "secretly" giving us in the minority some counsel and important "tactical" advice.

Keep on praying for us--we surely need it.

Robert

15. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Hi Windork,

I printed these articles two weeks ago. They have quite a nice number of articles too. Here's a nice website too: http://cicministry.org/

Thanks,

Robert

16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

You certainly do need prayer!

Keep strong.

Remain tactful but truthful. By no means give the impression that you condone what is happening. Do not remain silent, even if you will offend. Remember that offending with the truth in love is not the same as having an offensive manner. The first is justified, the second is wrong.

Be open and honest. Do not try to "sneak" the truth into people or use methods that may be seen as underhanded. You'll be accused of that no matter what (most likely), but it is important that the accusations be false. Stay blameless so they have no excuse when they think about what you have presented and spoken of. And they may not do that immediately, but you never know what may happen the next day or the next year in someone's heart.

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Robert

I am still lifting you and your church up to God.

Wayne

18. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Eight souls is a familiar number. The rain came and the ship floated. From what you are saying this ship has lost her steering, heading for the rocks. You were baptized into His Body Church when you first believed. That baptism goes where you go.

Stay and fight, I don't know. You know and care for these people, these that are turning carnal, and you are in the center of troubled waters that could catch you in a riptide.

I pray your prayer is answered, and the glory goes to Him as He directs your path.

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Thats good to hear. I figured that Iloilo CIty would not necessarily be near you, but the missionaries I know have a very far reach. They send their own men out all over the Philippine Islands starting churches. I just thought that perhaps someone could help you. :)

Still praying for you!

20. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Hi Bapmom and all you BaptistBoard Friends,

Thank you for the encouragement and prayer! Thank you! Thank you!

Robert :type: