1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OK for a woman to baptize?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rbell, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Is it OK for a woman to baptize?

Why/why not?

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I can see only a narrow window where such could be permissable and that would be a woman baptizing another woman where a male pastor is unavailable.

Scripturally speaking, I can't even support that.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would it matter who performed the baptism? It is traditional that men are the baptizers. Is there chapter and verse that states that it must be that way?

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I would imagine it would be an awfully complicated argument to suggest that only men can baptize. I believe anyone can baptize (well so long as they are redeemed) and enjoy seeing it happen with people who aren't ordained.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

How do you scripturally support your argument?

Is it based on the fact that women baptizing is never mentioned, or is there another support Scripturally that I've missed?

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I find where the charge was put upon men called of God.

Mat 28:19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Where does that verse or any other specifically say "men"?

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Matt 28:
    16: Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
    17: And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
    18: And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
    19: Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    20: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I do not see any women who were commanded in this scripture.

Do you know of any scripture that says otherwise?

It seems to me He gave us a good example to follow.

Mat 3:11I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire:

#8 Brother Bob, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

So the Great Commission only applies to men?

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We are talking about baptizing now. Show me where women have that commandment and I will believe.

11. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

In conjunction with other scriptures that to my mind make baptism to be something for pastors/elders to do and in the absence of any scripture that I come up with in the seconds I have to answer, I'll have to agree with Brother Bob.

Since women are charged with the teaching of the younger women, there creates the possible exception I have mentioned (though I suppose a woman could similarly baptize a child).

If you want scriptures, you have to wait till tonight. I'm late for the day as it is.

(the best conversations always happen when I have to be elsewhere! :( )

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

or only to the Eleven?

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Acts 2:
    17: And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
    18: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

I find after the Holy Spirit came that women could teach or prophesy, which means to tell of what is to come according to scripture. I find not even here where He called them to preach or baptize.

The Great Commission that you refer to, I suppose you mean what Jesus commanded His Apostles and at that time it was the Apostles. The Apostles were the ones to teach others and as I quoted above later by the Holy Spirit being poured out on all flesh.

Can you show me where Jesus taught others what to preach or baptize?

Act 19:3And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

None of them said Lucy's.

#13 Brother Bob, Jul 3, 2007
  14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What Bro Bob appears to be saying is that only the 11 disciples can baptize, and since they are dead, no one else can baptize.

15. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am certain that if Lucy had been living back then, Luke would have written about her baptizing.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well Saggy Woman; you need to read what I posted again. It says that Jesus taught His Apostles and commanded THEM to teach others.

I find where the charge was put upon men called of God.

Mat 28:19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: (TEACH)!

I was wondering SaggyWomen; Do you believe in women baptizing, and do you baptize or want to baptize?

Do you have scripture to support that he would of said "Lucy"s baptism"?

Can you give me scripture where Jesus commanded Lucy to baptize?

We use "lay" members to help an Elder or Pastor to baptize someone. I really have never saw a woman baptize but I guess they do.

Why Elders?
    Mat 18:18Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

If women want to baptize and your church says it is ok, then do what you feel is right and in line with scripture. Its not my word, but the word of the Lord.

#16 Brother Bob, Jul 3, 2007
  17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does an elder have to do it? This sounds to be a rather Roman Catholic-like answer.

Does anyone have a problem with a "regular member" father baptizing his son or daughter?

18. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't. This sounds awfully sacramental. I do think that the baptism should occur under the authority of the church, but if the church leadership has no problem with it, I see no biblical reason to restrict a church member from baptizing.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is no scriptural mandate on who can baptize. If Scripture is silent on it, so should we. The GC was given to the 11 as...
    A. Them individually
    B. Them as a representative of the Church
    C. Them as a representative of believers.

To use that as a proof text that only men can spread the Gospel and baptize is eisegesis, IMO.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suppose two unsaved men get lost in the wilderness, have a Bible iwth them, read it and come to Christ Jesus in repentance and faith.

Would anyone have a problem with these two men baptizing each other?

What is important - form or substance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.