1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Once Saved Always Saved

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Kay, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Kay

Kay New Member

Thaniks for all you help with the conversation about Judas. Which brings me to the next questions. Can you lose your salvation? And is OSAS a license to sin? Thank you guys so much it has been very helpful.

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Hey Kay,

I trust a majority of the Baptist here will agree on this one! lol

Can you lose your salvation? No.

Is OSAS (I prefer to call it the perseverance of the saints) a liscence to sin? No.

3. Kay

Kay New Member

Osas

Well I would really like to have any answers given to be backed up with scriptures. I was told it was a doctrine of demons 1Tim. 4:1. I am a new believer and I do not even know if that verse has anything to do with it or not.

4. standingfirminChrist

Can you lose your Salvation? No
    Christ will stand for us and confirm us until the end of this life.

Our Salvation is secure.

Is it a license to sin? Certainly not!

We are not to continue in sin. We are not to live the same life as before.

5. lbaker

lbaker New Member

No, you can't "lose" your salvation. Jesus won't let go of you.

But, there are some passages that certainly appear to indicate that we can let go of Him, walk away from Him, by turning back to a Law system for justification.

Les

From Galatians 5:
    2Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

From Hebrews 10:
    26If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. 28Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Grow in grace! (II Pet. 3:18) And welcome to the BB. It can get pretty heated in here, at times. Don't be discouraged, but read and you can learn some things. God bless.

Also, you might want to proof-read a bit before you post quickly.

Ed

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Osas

Kay, I do not believe for one second you can lose your salvation, nor do I believe a christian has a liscense to sin. I will tell you the way I see it, if you have it, you won't lose it. Christ puts a new mind in His children. Don't get me wrong, we will never be perfect, but if we are CHRISTians, we won't be bar-hopping, sleeping with our neighbor's spouse, stealing etc. We are in the world, but no longer "of" the world. Just pray to God for His guidance. He will never lead you astray.

8. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

First of all, you CANNOT lose your salvation! If you could lose your salvation then you couldn't have eternal life. If we could lose our salvation then Jesus Christ would've had to have died several times on the cross (Hebrews 10:10). Jesus Christ wouldn't promise eternal life if He couldn't guarentee it. Besides, losing your salvation would be based on works; if we can lose it then you would have to do something to try and keep it (which is works)(Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:5). In John 1:29 John says "...Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." In the OT the sacrificial lamb couldn't take away sin, it just covered it until the next year. However, the 'Lamb of God' can take away sin. 'Of the world' refers to not just the Jews, but the Gentiles as well. If Jesus Christ takes away the sin then He really does take it away. It never says that it came back and Jesus Christ had to do everything all over again. (this has nothing to do with the previous verse but it may help you: John 10:28-30) Also have a look at 1 John 5:13 which says that we can KNOW that we have eternal life.

OSAS is not a license to sin. When a person gets saved they are a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17), has the Holy Spirit to convict them (John 14:26), and will want to live for Christ. Someone who still wants to do whatever they want and live in sin is not saved (1 John 3:6, James 1:26)

[the following is from the KJV study Bible] 1Tim. 4:1. "Expressly means clearly. To depart means to aspostatize. Apostatsy is the deliberate and permanent rejection of Christianity after a previous profession of faith in it. Doctrines of devils, that is, doctrines taught by demons" (or false religions or teachings)
    I hope that this helps although I can't really explain what it means since I don't quite understand it myself. Let me talk to my dad and get back to you on this one.

I hope that this has helped you (sorry that it is so long).

9. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In answer to your questions -- no, a Christian cannot "lose" salvation. He/She CAN forfeit salvation, however (Hebrews 6:4-6; 10:26-31...)
    That answer won't be popular on this thread -- still, I urge you to study the Scriptures for yourself -- ALL of the Scriptures! Be a "Berean." Don't take my word or others.

Now a surprising answer to your last question -- OSAS, IF properly preached, is NOT a License to sin. I have heard it preached WRONGLY and irresponsibly, and thus it became a license, but if taught or preached properly, it should not become a license.

JDale

10. standingfirminChrist

Kay, you really need to read in the posts that you start. It was pointed out in your first thread that you are not listed as a Baptist. You need to post these questions in the All Other Denominations thread.

This section is for Baptists Only.

11. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

A Christian cannot possibly lose his or her salvation. It's the salvation which Jesus died on the cross to pay for. He said in John 6.37-40:

37 "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out.
    38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
    39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.
    40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day."​

Writing to Christians at Rome, Paul says in Romans 8.35-39:

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
    36 As it is written: "For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter."
    37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.
    38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come,
    39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.​

Is such a doctrine licence to sin? Not according to the bible. Romans 6.15-18:

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not!
    16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?
    17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.
    18 And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.​

Of course, someone may claim to be a Christian, yet says, "I believe in the perseverance of the saints, once saved always saved, so what does it matter how I live? I'll just carry on sinning just as I did before." But by doing so, they are deliberately presenting themselves as slaves of sin, rather than slaves of righteousness. Where does that leave their claim to have been converted?

Always remember that is the Lord Jesus Christ Who saves sinners; they cannot save themselves. 1 Timothy 1.15:

This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.​

Praise God! He came to save sinners, not just to make their salvation a possibility.

12. Kay

Kay New Member

Also, you might want to proof-read a bit before you post quickly.

Sorry about that Ed perhaps the board owner can fix it? I tried to correct it but there was no modify feature. Once it was posted it was to late.

13. Kay

Kay New Member

I guess I missed that post

I am sorry maybe it can be moved?

14. standingfirminChrist

Kay, if you PM a moderator, I am sure they can move the thread for you.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am glad to see so many say that the "saved" live Christian lives and not sinners lives.

BBob,

#15 Brother Bob, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2007
  16. Kay

Kay New Member

I am new

I have no idea who the moderators are again I am not out to cause trouble feel free to report it. I do not want to upset anyone.

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

If you go to the "forum home" page, the mods are listed to the far right. You should be able to click on one of their names and bring up a pm option.

When they move the thread a link will remain here, but the thread itself should show up in the "other denominations" forum.

Welcome to the BB!

Well duh! go back to the topic list of this forum and scroll to the bottom. The mods are listed there!

#17 menageriekeeper, Aug 22, 2007
  18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Welcome Kay,
    I must be blind or something because I can't figure out what is wrong with your OP or why you need to change it. What is the problem?

Anyway, NO you can't lose your salvation.

Jhn 10:28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.
    Jhn 10:29 "My Father, who has given {them} to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch {them} out of the Father's hand.

Edit; ok, now I see. You're not a baptist. This will be moved more than likely.

#18 Amy.G, Aug 22, 2007
  19. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I get asked and told this from all my free will friends. To me, knowing that I am eternally secure gives me all the more reason to try to live a holy life. Knowing that it is God keeping me without anything I can do is all the more reason to live right. A good link to read an article about it is ,
    http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Bibleline/Article.asp?article_id=1130

#19 JerryL, Aug 22, 2007
  20. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Personally, I didn't see a problem with someone asking a Baptist type question in the Baptist section, whether or not they are Baptist.