1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ever Heard of these free online schools?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by hawg_427, Jul 9, 2008.

1. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Just ran across 2 free online Bible study schools online and would like to know if anybody has ever heard of them and has any comments about them.

Thanks in advance,
    Hawg

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Please read your post and tell me if you see something missing.:laugh:

3. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

OK, it was late at night. LOL

Here ya go. Dover 1st Baptist Bible School
    and Cherith Bible Institute

Sorry bout that,
    Hawg

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might check out http://www.ananswer.org/school/

Any free online is going to be less than you need if you are thinking of full time ministry, but for personal edification it would be great. It might qualify you for some ministries but most these days look for a degree.

If you could post links to the two schools you are interested in it would be good. I found two mentions of Cherith.

If the one is this site http://www.cherith-bible-inst.org/ then the folks behind it are located at http://www.utmostministries.org/ministries.htm

You might find more information there. The school site lists no faculty that I saw and was a little limited in information to me.

5. standingfirminChrist

From what I know concerning the Cherith Bible Institute, the president graduated from Bob Jones University and Evangelical Bible Seminary.

They do offer a diploma upon completion of the following 30 courses:

Courses are taken in this order:
    1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BI 101) Old Testament Survey I (Genesis - Deuteronomy)
    2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](PR 101) Principles of Biblical Interpretation
    3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BD 101) Bible Doctrines I (The Bible, God, and Christ)
    4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BD 102) Bible Doctrines II (Holy Spirit, Angels, Man, Sin, Salvation)
    5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BI 102) New Testament Survey I (Gospels and Acts)
    6.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](PR 102) Principles of Biblical Communication
    7.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BI 103) Old Testament Survey II (Joshua - H Samuel)
    8.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BC 101) Epistle to the Romans I (Romans Chapters 1-8)
    9.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BC 102) Epistle to the Romans II (Romans Chapters 9-16)

10.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BD 103) Ecclesiology I (The Church)
    11.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BI 104) New Testament Survey II (Corinthians-Galatians)
    12.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](PR 104) Principles of Leadership
    13.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BI 105) Old Testament Survey III (I Kings - Esther)
    14.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BC 103) Epistle to the Hebrews I (Hebrews Chapters 1 - 8)
    15.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BC 104) Epistles to the Hebrews II (Hebrews Chapters 9-13)
    16.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](PR 105) Religious Trends I (Religious Cults)
    17.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](PR 106) Religious Trends H (World Religions)
    18.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BI 106) New Testament Survey III (Ephesians-II Thessalonians)
    19.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](PR 103) Christian Ethics (The Christian in the World)
    20.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BI 107) Old Testament Survey IV (Isaiah -Lamentations)
    21.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BC 109) The General Epistles (James, Peter, and Jude)
    22.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](PR 107) Spiritual Conflicts (Christian Warfare)
    23.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BI 108) New Testament Survey IV (I Timothy - Philemon)
    24.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BI 109) Old Testament Survey V (Ezekiel - Daniel)
    25.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BC110) Epistles of John
    26.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](PR 108) God' s Will And You/ Spiritual Development
    27.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BC 105) The Revelation I (Revelation Chapters 1-4)
    28.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BC 106) The Revelation II (Revelation Chapters 5-11)
    29.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BC 107) The Revelation III (Revelation Chapters 12-16)
    30.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](BC 108) The Revelation IV (Revelation Chapters 17-22)

At first glance, it seems to be a pretty complete study. I guess the time frame of each course would tell how much is covered for each of the thirty courses.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I will once again promote this school, if you are seeking something equal to an expensive degree, for free:

http://www.nationsu.org/site/

I have only two "theological beefs" with them, and one of those is because I am reformed, and they are not. They are as difficult as a conventional degree, and several schools will take some, or all, of their credits. They actually cost 100 bucks a year though.

They are ALSO currently seeking accreditation (I do not know with who). I received a survey the other day from them.

In any case, it is definitely worth it.

(P.S.> for all the SBC'ers out there, several of their courses were written by a SBTS professor).

7. Pastor Trent

Pastor Trent New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which Schools?

You had mentioned that Nations University credits have been known to be transferred into schools. Would you know the names of those schools off-hand?

I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious. Their courses look quite good.

Thanks,
    Trent

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

N.P.

I know that I transferred to SATS, which is an accredited, respected School, with my Associates Degree from Nations. They gave me credit for the degree, but not for the additional 6 credits (I had 66 credits at the time). I do not know of any Theological School, that will not accept transfers from SATS.

I also have a friend who was able to transfer some credits to Liberty.

I believe, after some snooping, that the Accreditation they are seeking might be through DETC. This is secondhand knowledge, though, so take that how you will.

#8 Havensdad, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2008
  9. Pastor Trent

Pastor Trent New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sounds really good....but parden my ignorance. What is SATS?

10. Pastor Trent

Pastor Trent New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :1_grouphug:
    A Certain school in the vicinity of the Cape of Good Hope perhaps?

11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Yes. They are the publishers of Conspectus, if you know what that is (A Theological journal, found in, among other places, Logos Bible software). An extremely rigorous school.

12. Pastor Trent

Pastor Trent New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The other "beef" that you left unmentioned wouldn't happen to be Baptismal Regeneration would it?

If so how do you come to grips with that as it comes up in the courses?

13. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

Sats

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know what the relative cost of a doctoral degree is from SATS. They seem to come up a lot on this board and I am just curious.

14. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

It is my other beef (although the way they describe it, is not exactly Baptismal Regeneration, if you know what that term means). But actually, it does not come up in their courses at all. It is not a "required belief", nor do any of the questions or writing assignments require you to answer in the affirmative on it.

I believe, since it is touted as a interdenominational school, and none of the course I have taken, other than a couple of church history courses written by Mac Lynn himself, were WRITTEN by people who believe in baptismal regeneration (I have taken several courses written by a professor from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary...in fact half the courses I have taken, were written by baptists), they keep it neutral.

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Yep. Too expensive. The MTh program is reasonable (3000 bucks total {1500 x 2 years}) but for some reason the doctoral program is a bit steep (not compared to some of the seminaries in the U.S. though..) The Doctorate program runs 2100 dollars per year, with a minimum of 4 years.

16. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

According to the NU provost, it is indeed, DETC to whom they are applying:

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1&attid=0.1&disp=inline&view=att&th=11ae4d32f668d757

Tom
    P.S.
    I am impressed that a SBTS prof wrote several of their courses. Do you know who that was?

#16 PatsFan, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well, if SBTS profs write the courses, then that's good enough for me :thumbs:

19. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I am assuming this is sarcastic. Do you not think there is a certain amount of importance attached to the fact that there courses were designed by legitimate, credentialed Ph. D/Doctorate holders, that are from one of the top conservative seminaries in the world?