1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repent = Turn From Sin,To God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eds and I have had some interaction on this topic on another thread. I don't want the other thread to get derailed;so I thought I would bring this topic over here. (Well, how considerate of you Rip.) Here are just a few verses that I have run across.

1 Chron. 15:4 ; but when they turned to the Lord God of Israel in their distress and sought Him,He was found by them.

Job 33:16,17 : He uncovers their ears at that time and terrifies them with warnings,in order to turn a person from his actions and suppress his pride.

Psalm 7:12 : If anyone does not repent,God will sharpen His sword;He has strung His bow and made it ready.

Psalm 37:27 : Turn away from evil and do what is good, and dwell there forever.

Isaiah 45:22 : Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth.For I am God, and there is no other.

Jeremiah 23:22 : If they had really stood in my council, they would have enabled My people to hear my words and would have turned them back from their evil ways and their evil deeds.

Ez. 33:11c ... but rather that the wicked person should turn from his way and live. Repent,repent of your evil ways! ...

Ez. 33:19 : But when a wicked person turns from his wickedness and does what is just and right,he will live because of this.

Jonah 3:8b : ... everyone must be covered with sackcloth, and everyone must call out earnestly to God. Each must turn from his evil ways and from his the violence he is doing.

Acts 9:35 : So all who lived in Lydda and Sharon saw him and turned to the Lord.

1 Cor. 3:16 : but whenever a person turns to the Lord,the viel is removed.

1 Thess. 1:9b ...how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God.

[All quotations are from the HCSB]

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

Good stuff, rip! :smilewinkgrin:

I notice it is the person who 'turns,' not God.

And apparently, too, they do so especially when under conviction or distress and not because they have the Holy Spirit yet.

Seems a lot like Rom 1:19-21 and Acts 2:38 combined --- when they heard and acknowledged God, they did repent and openly glorified His name with their "baptism" and received the Spirit of thankfulness in place of their "vain imaginations darkened."

I'd say that's pretty good sotierology, rip! Are you endorsing it at this time?

skypair

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

God gives and grants repentance.

Him God has exalted to His right hand to be Prince and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins. Acts 5:31

When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, “Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life.” Acts 11:18

Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? Romans 2:4

Concerning the word in Scripture:

What it is:

Boyce does an excellent job setting forth what repentance is.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boyce preached at 10th Presby, just a short way from here.
    A devoted, former Church member attends there now.
    Good preacher!

Taking "turn from sin" into a practical sense,

I work in the field of cardiology.
    I see the devastation that tobacco has on people and encourage them to stop.

Most people acknowledge the effects and regret ever starting.

Few repent and turn from the their ways.

IMO, whether God or man effects the change (and turning from sin), it must happen to be repentance.

Rob

#4 Deacon, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2008
  5. skypair

skypair Active Member

RB,

One part of Boyce's quotation stands out as distinctive to me in our personal salvation.

At the point of repentance unto salvation, I believe:

1) We, first, intellectually change our own "view, mind, purpose" because we believe God's revealed truth that has "convicted" us.

2) We (I know I did) turn from worldly wisdom and self guidance to God's wisdom and leadership even though we know almost none of that wisdom or where that leadership will take us! What we know of God will constitute our "worldview," Godliness becomes our purpose in life. Though we don't yet know what Godliness is, we commit to it.

3) Inward change not accompanied by outward change is a sign of inadequate knowledge. That is where "discipleship"/"sanctification" comes in. Having "repented" our lives to God, we begin repenting our ways to God -- turning from individual sins rather than from the life of sin that separated us from God.

skypair

6. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Hey Rob,

This Boyce is a different one. James P. Boyce was one of the founders of the SBC back in the late 1800s. I am pretty sure he is with the Lord now. :laugh: But I bet you heard James Boice, who also is a great preacher.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James Boice died in June of 2000.He's with the Lord too.JMB was/is one of my favorite preachers. I met him a few times and he signed one of my books that he authored.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a passage quoted in Romans 10:20,but found originally in Isaiah 65:1 :"I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me;I was found by those who did not seek me."

The Lord does the seeking.The Lord reveals Himself to those who were not looking for Him.