1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Troops Deployed Abroad Give 6 to 1 to Obama over McCain

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JustChristian, Sep 20, 2008.

1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

It was hard for me to believe but those are the numbers.

Troops Deployed Abroad Give 6 to 1 to Obama
    Published by Luke Rosiak on August 14, 2008
    http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/08/troops-deployed-abroad-give-61.html

According to an analysis of campaign contributions by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, Democrat Barack Obama has received nearly six times as much money from troops deployed overseas at the time of their contributions than has Republican John McCain, and the fiercely anti-war Ron Paul, though he suspended his campaign for the Republican nomination months ago, has received more than four times McCain's haul.

Despite McCain's status as a decorated veteran and a historically Republican bent among the military, members of the armed services overall -- whether stationed overseas or at home -- are also favoring Obama with their campaign contributions in 2008, by a $55,000 margin. Although 59 percent of federal contributions by military personnel has gone to Republicans this cycle, of money from the military to the presumed presidential nominees, 57 percent has gone to Obama.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was already posted recently. It in no way suggests that more troops support Obama.

#2 Revmitchell, Sep 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Its those rich, elitist Democrat soldiers. They have more money.

4. targus

targus New Member

From the source article:

"A former West Point professor, Jason Dempsey, noted that the small set of contributions from deployed troops at this point in 2008 -- just 323 donations -- should not be extrapolated to form conclusions about military personnel overall"

323 donations seems like a very small sample to be used for drawing the author's conclusions.

The author failed to show a historical link between contributions made and candidate voted for in past elections.

From a statistical analysis point of view - the study is of little value.

5. targus

targus New Member

"While troops deployed abroad might be giving more money to Barack Obama, a poll released today says that John McCain will get the vast majority of votes from members of the military and veterans.

According to Gallup, McCain leads Obama 56 percent to 34 percent, with 11 percent expressing no opinion or picking someone else."

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/08/military_favors.html

Contributions are great - but votes matter more when you are running for President.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It occurs to me to comment that the Republican soldiers are going to be supporting McCain with their votes; whereas the Democratic soldiers appear to think that money will somehow solve the problem....

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its hard to believe that there is so much support for Obama.

My first thought is that is they are that dissatisfied with Bush and the Reps, then why did they enlist / reenlist. 'Anyone who was in the military on 10 Sep 01 and still is in, has RE-enlisted.

LIARS FIGURE AND FIGURES NEVER LIE

#7 Salty, Sep 20, 2008
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder how in the world troops can afford to give to a political candidate since we starve them to death.

9. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Don't you always support a candidate if you contribute to their political campaign? You're not making sense.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So should we stop talking about all polls?

I would think the, "they didn't poll me" defense would have been more input than this.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't think these polls include the deployed troops which is what the OP said. I don't think the polling company called a soldier out on patrol and asked a couple of questions about their vote.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

True, but it appears there are 323 deployed soldiers talking politics. And 6 to 1 are talking Obama. Hopefully they are talking sense into the rest of them.

"want to go home, vote Obama".

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SaltCityBaptist, BaptistBeliever - go back and look at those charts again.

There was a total of 859 military members that contributed to Obama.

Compared to:
    538,000 Army
    352,000 Army Guard
    205,000 Army Reserve
    332,000 Navy
    66,000 Navy Reserve
    194,000 Marines
    39,000 Marine Reserves
    330,000 Air Force
    106,000 Air Guard
    67,000 Air Reserve
    42,000 Coast Guard
    10,000 Coast Guard Reserve

That's 1,436,000 Active Duty, and 848,000 Guard & Reserve. All 3 are working in Iraq. Since the article doesn't specify active, guard, or reserve for the individuals they interviewed, then we have to work from a generic statistic:

859 / 2,284,000 = about .004%

So, in other words, this article is trying to make a case that because .004% of the military members have contributed to Obama, the military is 6 to 1 going to vote for Obama.

Please tell me you understand the sheer silliness of such a conclusion.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You forgot the, "and rising".

Now I think you see the point... :smilewinkgrin:

15. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Ask them. Of course your assumption is wrong.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What assumption? Be careful there is a hook attached to this one.

17. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

A key phrase in this report is: "... at the time of their contributions ..." which, if the clock is rolled back to when the data was taken, would mean something very different that what's represented. Data can be sliced and diced all kinds of ways. But, if it does represent the pending actual military vote, then we can be sure the Democrats will want all those absentee ballots counted this time!

#17 Dragoon68, Sep 20, 2008
  18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

For sure...

"Psst, Bud, Want to go home?"

19. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Reread what I said. I simply said that Obama had received more in campaign contributions fro troops deployed overseas than McCain had received. I didn't make any statement about the number of military personnel.

20. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

The news report dates back to 8/15/2008. When was the data collected? Who were the recognized Democrat and Republican party leading candidates when these contributions were made? How was the information gathered? Were they selectively asked or is it a total analysis of all contributions made up to the same cut off point? What's the root source of the raw data?