1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Forgiving yourself.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salamander, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Probably one of the hardest things to do. But with God all things are possible!:godisgood:

Comments welcome!

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I forgive you, Sal.

:saint:

3. queenbee

queenbee Member

Forgiving yourself

I'd have to agree. Regrets, I've had a few as the song goes - usually due to my hot Irish temper. And then there's the anguish, remorse, dumbness/stupidity of the year award you dole out to yourself after. But, I'm learning. Amazing how God has wrapped His fist around my tongue these past few years :laugh: :laugh:

#3 queenbee, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2008
  4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Sounds painful!:laugh:

I have found that those who have stryed from their marital commitments have the hardest times forgiving themselves.

Never would I endorse excuses for sin, but usually the remorseful have done a wrong while in a "weak" state. Realizing this weakness is the real culprit is easy. It's just as easy to use weakness as an excuse to behave in the same manner again, writing it off as weakness.

What seems the hardest for all of us is, although we've received forgivenss from those we tresspassed against, forgiveness from the Lord, it comes down to, forgiving ourselves so we might walk circumspectly again and with the Lord.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A non-Baptist wrote me about this subject. I thought it worthy to honor his request.

And with Mike, we find full agreement in his point to remember the "blood of Jesus Christ" that cleanses us from ALL sin . . even sin against our own self.

Blessings.

#5 Dr. Bob, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2008
  6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I agree with what he said, too, it's just how I wonder how the principle of iron sharpening iron would fit into his remarks about those who "helped" him to point out his faults?

I'm afraid if we're not careful we'll deny the Lord the access to our walk being "adjusted" when we omit others' being used of the Lord in these areas.

I believe one should ask for discernment of others' actions in what they say about our faults: either they are just being critical in a condemning way, or they are truly concerned about us and see we need to be enlightened.

I say this in the light of being too critical upon ourselves/ defeating ourselves before we could be strengthened by the Lord.

A good way to determine if some one is just condemning us is to see how they treat others who might be struggling with the same things we also are struggling.

Usually the condemnation comes from those who want to exalt themselves vs trying to wlak in our shoes and try to help us.

"I feel your pain" is a good cliche' when one is honest about your "problem".

I have more experience than I ever wanted in the area of others condemning my person while I was bashing myself at the same time. Adding insult to injury is what I've heard this adequately called.

My oldest son was hurt at a church function. This accident was certainly due to the neglect of others. Not only was I terrified about my son's condition, it was then the "purpose" of that pastor to contact the insurance company to "fight" any possible lawsuit that might arise. I simply asked the church for their insurance info and felt like it was not my insurance company's obligation to cover something the church was ultimately responsible.

It was "broadcast" that I was suing the church and had no justifiable claim. Of course the insurance company contacted me, paid all the medical bills and even granted a large amount of money to carry out any further expenses.

I got the feeling that I should have needed to be forgiven of something I had never done or even hinted towards carrying out by those "helpful brethren".:tear:

#6 Salamander, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2008