1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The response I was writing

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by stilllearning, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

I was writing a response to Priscilla Ann’s question, when the thread was closed.

Hi Priscilla Ann

You asked......
    That is the $10,000.00 question.

First, the only way that I “know”, that my Bible is perfect, is by faith.
    (Because the original manuscripts no longer exist.)

I personally choose not to trust men, in making this decision.
    (Even though men were used to make every translation.)....
    Romans 3:4
    “God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.”

Therefore I turn to other indications, that give us clues as to which translation is best.

One of these clues is time; The oldest Bible(that I can read), that has been almost universally respected and accepted by Godly Christians for hundreds of years is the KJB.
    --------------------------------------------------
    An old saying that scholars like to pass around, is that “the newest Bible is the best”, because it will benefit from the latest discoveries etc.

But this does not take into account, the Bible’s warnings about the last days.......
    2 Timothy 3:13
    “But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.”

I don’t trust “today’s scholars”!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Now some here say, that this warning does not apply to Christians and maybe it doesn’t. But the context of this verse, shows that it does apply to religious scholars & others who really aren’t saved....
    2 Timothy 3:5
    “Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.”

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV revisers would not be KJVO. They didn't have access to the many manuscripts etc. that scholars have had access to for the last 150 years or so.

That passage has absolutely nothing to do with Bible translations.

Even godly ones that you could certainly learn from --if indeed you are still desiring to learn.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is no such thing as a perfect translation. It's not possible.

4. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Will you explain to us why it is you cannot read the even older and also well respected Geneva Bible, or Tyndale's New Testamant?

Some knowledgeable people would say that the Geneva and Tyndale are actually easier to read than the KJV. I would tend to agree with them, since I have read the KJV and these other two readily available versions.

#4 franklinmonroe, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
  5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Do not reopen closed threads.

#5 NaasPreacher (C4K), Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.