1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

As Baptists CAN We Even have An "Official Position" On Cal/Arms?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Jun 9, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Think that we all can come to our own personal take/position on errors like Calvinism/Arminian, but based on our baptist heritage, isn't it true that we would NOT have an OFFICIAL position on such, as that would be based on personal convictionsand interpretation?

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no official Baptist position on anything. There is no unified "Baptist" church.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Jesusfan

I disagree, to have an "official" position is not against the historical baptist distinctive of local churches being Congregational and autonomous, i.e the opposite of the top down polity of the Anglican Church we separated from.

So an "official" position could be authorized by an "authority" meaning a constitutional amendment addressing "what we believe" that adopts what has been determined by a plurality of Elders to reflect the actual message of God, and adopted by each local church, after study, prayer and discussion.

But as long as we defend our initial view by bad mouthing those who hold a differing view, we will not restore our lost unity in the faith.

We divide along the lines of the historical view or views and the modern view or views. Do we rely on the TR or the CT? I say we rely on the CT! But if you look at the threads that discuss this issue, all you see is turf war, with no one agreeing they were mistaken.

Perhaps I am naive, but I believe actual Christians who study and pray together will arrive at a common understanding of the text. But if we think tradition trumps true, we will get no-where, as this forum demonstrates time and again.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

That would be our "distinctive" strenght...

On same staff, can have an Arminian and Calvinist, along with a tongue and a non togue speaker!