1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Military to Prosecute GI's for Sharing Faith?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

#1 Jedi Knight, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would assume there are three sides to this story.
    Here is one paragraph "
    Military leaders were admonished not to use their position to “promote their personal religious beliefs to their subordinates or to extend preferential treatment for any religion.”
    Weinstein said it’s time for the Air Force to enforce the regulation – with zeal.
    “If a member of the military is proselytizing in a manner that violates the law, well then of course they can be prosecuted"
    A leader is to be careful as to how he influence his sub-ordinates. This could include a multitude of activities, from voting for my candidate to selling items (a one time car sale is okay), and ect.

You can read more in Army Regulation (AR) 600-50 - especially chapter 2

#2 Salty, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian Persecution Begins

The Pentagon has released a statement confirming that soldiers could be prosecuted for promoting their faith: "Religious proselytization is not permitted within the Department of Defense...Court martials and non-judicial punishments are decided on a case-by-case basis...”.

The statement, released to Fox News, follows a Breitbart News report on Obama administration Pentagon appointees meeting with anti-Christian extremist Mikey Weinstein to develop court-martial procedures to punish Christians in the military who express or share their faith.

(From our earlier report: Weinstein is the head of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, and says Christians--including chaplains--sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ in the military are guilty of “treason,” and of committing an act of “spiritual rape” as serious a crime as “sexual assault.” He also asserted that Christians sharing their faith in the military are “enemies of the Constitution.”)

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/...rt-Martial-Soldiers-Who-Share-Christian-Faith

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    something tells me we dont have the whole story yet

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Today, we face incredibly well-funded gangs of fundamentalist Christian monsters who terrorize their fellow Americans by forcing their weaponized and twisted version of Christianity upon their helpless subordinates in our nation’s armed forces.”

Those words were recently written by Mikey Weinstein, founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF), in a column he wrote for the Huffington Post. Weinstein will be a consultant to the Pentagon to develop new policies on religious tolerance, including a policy for court-martialing military chaplains who share the Christian Gospel during spiritual counseling of American troops.

Weinstein decries what he calls the “virulent religious oppression” perpetrated by conservative Christians, whom he refers to as “monstrosities” and “pitiable unconstitutional carpetbaggers,” comparing them to “bigots” in the Deep South during the civil rights era.

He cites Dr. James Dobson—the famous Christian founder of Focus on the Family—as “illustrating the extremist, militant nature of these virulently homophobic organizations’ rhetorically-charged propaganda.” Regarding those who teach orthodox Christian beliefs from the Bible, Weinstein concludes, “Let’s call these ignoble actions what they are: the senseless and cowardly squallings of human monsters.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/...itution-to-Develop-Religious-Tolerance-Policy

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Religious liberty groups have grave concerns after they learned the Pentagon is vetting its guide on religious tolerance with a group that compared Christian evangelism to “rape” and advocated that military personnel who proselytize should be court martialed.

The Military Religious Freedom Foundation is calling on the Air Force to enforce a regulation that they believe calls for the court martial of any service member caught proselytizing.

President Mikey Weinstein and others from his organization met privately with Pentagon officials on April 23. He said U.S. troops who proselytize are guilty of sedition and treason and should be punished – by the hundreds if necessary – to stave off what he called a “tidal wave of fundamentalists.”

“Someone needs to be punished for this,” Weinstein told Fox News. “Until the Air Force or Army or Navy or Marine Corps punishes a member of the military for unconstitutional religious proselytizing and oppression, we will never have the ability to stop this horrible, horrendous, dehumanizing behavior.”

Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, told Fox News he was stunned that the Pentagon would be taking counsel and advice from the Military Religious Freedom Foundation.

“Why would military leadership be meeting with one of the most rabid atheists in America to discuss religious freedom in the military,” Perkins said. “That’s like consulting with China on how to improve human rights.”

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarne...religious-proselytizing-is-not-permitted.html

7. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=85984

8. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I guess Rev missed this.:wavey:

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Persecution complex is more like it. This is not persecution.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

According to a friend of mine who is an Army chaplain, this has always been the rule in the military. He said that sharing your faith is allowed - just not coercion.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Why do you think this is the same thing?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just spoke to an Army chaplain friend of mine and he said that it's always been this way. It's nothing new. You can share your faith - but you can't coerce anyone to follow your beliefs.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why do I think what is the same thing? I don't understand your question.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seemed to indicate that you thought, after talking with a Chaplain, this was nothing new. I am not understanding why that is.

15. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

But what I hear is the Chaplin's cannot share the gospel at all even if they were asked.

16. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope - This is officially not true. :) I asked my chaplain friend for a statement that I can use and here's what he said:

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I might have believed him if it were not for this above statement.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So does that disregard the fact that he's seen 300 men and women in the service be saved over the last number of years that he's been in the Army - through his and others giving the Gospel - and it was done legally?

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is disregards is denial that at the moment there are actual considerations being made on this issue. The characterization of those who have written these articles and are two credible and reasonable sources. And that there are reasonable people who have read this story and are waiting to see how it turns out.

Tearing people down who have given this story consideration only shows a bias and unreasonableness.