1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Proof that Christians need to be overcomers to gain eternal life

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Osterloh, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Osterloh

Osterloh New Member

Jesus wrote to 7 churches, telling them what they need to overcome to receive eternal life.
    But, as for us … “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

To the church at Ephesus: “To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life” (Rev 2:7)
    To the church at Smyrna: “He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.” (Rev 2:11)
    To the church at Pergamos: “To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat.
    And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows
    except him who receives it.” (Rev 2:17)

To the church at Thyatira: “And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end,
    to him I will give power over the nations … and I will give him the morning star.” (Rev 2:26)

To the church at Sardis: “He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments,
    and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name
    before My Father and before His angels.” (Rev 3:5)

To the church at Philadelphia: “He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple
    of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and
    the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven
    from My God. And I will write on him My new name.” (Rev 3:12)

To the church at Laodicea: “To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne,
    as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.” (Rev 3:21)

“He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son.
    But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers,
    idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone,
    which is the second death.” (Rev 21:7-8)

Note about the second death in Rev 2:11
    “Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection.
    Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God …” (Rev 20:6)

The holy ones do not experience the second death (they overcome the second death).
    He who overcomes habitual sinning shall not experience the second death (Rev 21:7-8).

Note about overcoming like Jesus overcame in Rev 3:21
    This verse disqualifies what some believe “overcoming” means in 1 John 5:5
    “Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?”
    Jesus did not overcome by believing that He is the Son of God, did He?
    Jesus is not talking about only overcoming the world; He is talking about a whole lot more!

Note about an example of a deadly sin in Rev 21:7-8
    “… you know that NO murderer has eternal life abiding in him” (1 John 3:15).
    Murder is just one example of the deadly sins that cause the second death.

An obvious example of what Christians must overcome to receive eternal life
    They must overcome all obstacles, persecutions, etc. to the endurance of their faith until death.
    “And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved.”
    (Matthew 10:22, Mark 13:13)

Many other passages confirm this: Luke 14:28-33, John 15:2-6, 1 Cor 15:1-2, Phil 2:12-16,
    1 Tim 4:1, 1 Tim 4:16, Heb 2:1-3, Heb 3:6, Heb 10:36-39, James 1:12-15, 1 Pet 1:5-9

Another obvious example of what Christians must overcome to receive eternal life
    They must overcome sin by confessing and repenting of them as they are being sanctified.
    These 7 lists of sins condemn everyone who is involved in habitual unrepented-of sinning:
    1 Cor 6:9-10, Gal 5:19-21, Gal 6:7-8, Eph 5:3-6, Col 3:5-6, Rev 21:7-8, Rev 22:14-15

“Pursue … holiness, without which no one will see the Lord” (Heb 12:14)

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The standard is the holiness of God.
    No man can stand before God unless he is as holy as God is holy.
    Nothing defiled can stand in the presence of God.
    Are you as holy as God is?
    How then will you be able to stand before an Almighty and Holy God?

3. Osterloh

Osterloh New Member

Piece of cake ...

"But IF we (continue to) walk in the light as He is in the light,
    we (continue to) have fellowship with one another,
    and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son (continues to) cleanses us from all sin.
    If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    IF we (continue to) confess (repent of) our sins, He is faithful and just to (continue to)
    forgive us our sins and to (continue to) cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
    My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin.
    And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."
    (1 John 1:7-2:1)

Derek Prince explained that the Greek verbs here are all continuous verbs.

Christians must confess and repent of their sins in order to maintain their righteousness before God.
    Throughout the whole Bible ... sinners are unrighteous! ... obedient believers are righteous!

Proverbs 28:13 “He who covers his sins will not prosper,
    but whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.

2 Chronicles 15:2 … The LORD is with you while you are with Him.
    If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will forsake you.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What is a piece of cake?
    Is the holiness of God a piece of cake?
    You never answered my question.
    Are you as holy as God is holy?

5. Osterloh

Osterloh New Member

If my sins have been cleansed away,
    and if God views me as being righteous,
    then He views me as being holy.

Jesus and Paul told us that we need to be holy and perfect.
    So, I am obedient and maintain my holiness via 1 John 1.

And, presto magnifico, I am as holy as God demands!
    Try it, you might like it.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me thinks we have seen this person under another username.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So then, you can guarantee me that everything in your OP, you have done, are doing, and will continue to do until your dying day. Is that correct?

8. Osterloh

Osterloh New Member

Actually, it has nothing to do with what I am, or am not, doing!
    It just has to do with what the word tells us to do.
    Seems that you want to throw out the NT's instructions to believers!
    Vich is a whole lot more than merely "believe/trust".
    But, if dat's what turns you on, Good Luck to you!

9. Osterloh

Osterloh New Member

Well now that's a useful contribution if I ever saw one!
    Great goin' rev ... keep up the good work!

Meanwhile, you going to take the mark and lose your salvation?
    Or are y'all going to starve to death?
    Oh, yes, I almost forgot ... you're probably counting on being raptured outta here!
    Just wait a bit and see.

#9 Osterloh, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It has everything to do with you. You were the one who started this thread, posted the OP. You posted them as a perceived challenge:

Proof that Christians need to be overcomers to gain eternal life

Now we are supposed to offer proof to the contrary, true?
    But if your life doesn't match up to your own post then you are just another hypocrite posting what you don't believe, things that can't keep, have no intention of keeping, and seem to be here to stir up trouble rather than honest debate.

If your actions can back up your claims (that is your post) then we have something to talk about. But if you say one must be perfect in this life, and you can't be perfect, then we have nothing to talk about. You are just presenting yourself as a fool.

The Bible commands us, not to answer a fool in his folly.

11. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    the Bible says the saints actually keep the Law of God while the lost "cannot" keep it.

Rom 8
    5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
    6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,
    7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the Law of God, for it is not even able to do so,
    8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans 2
    13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.
    14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves,
    15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,
    16 on the day when, according to my GOSPEL, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

1 Cor 7
    19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.

1 John 5:1-4
    1Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him.
    2By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments.
    3For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.

Rev 14:12
    12 Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

2 Peter 2:14
    Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children

1 Cor 10
    12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall.
    13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.
    14 Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.

1Cor 6
    7 Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded?
    8 On the contrary, you yourselves wrong and defraud. You do this even to your brethren.

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
    10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers,
    will inherit the kingdom of God.
    11 Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Slavery to sinning is rejected by the Bible.

Romans 6:12
    1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
    2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
    7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
    13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
    14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
    15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
    16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
    17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
    18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

13. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Don't feed trolls.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Troll? I thought he was promoting LS doctrine.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Reading the Bible is "mormonism" and "feeding trolls" and sola tradition is???

16. Osterloh

Osterloh New Member

Praise the Lord ... so stop answering!
    I prefer to dialog with someone else (for various reasons).

17. Osterloh

Osterloh New Member

Christians don't even realize what Romans 6 is all about.
    Paul's #1 purpose in Romans 6 was to give Christians a big time warning that
    continued sinning makes them slaves to sin which guarantees eternal death.
    People just don't discern his great tactfulness, mixing edifications with warnings.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Those being you're here under a username and you have an agenda. Whatever.

But let me ask you this: You confess your sins, you are saved. You sin, you are not saved. Then you confess those sins and you are again saved? How often can we lose our salvation and gain it back again?

19. Osterloh

Osterloh New Member

Who knows, ask God.
    But haven't you read the passages about some people returning to repentance and some not to their destruction?

In Luke 13:3 and 5 where Jesus said we must repent did He mean once or more than once?
    Careful this is deep.

Oh yes, OSASers believe in magic: one repentance and they're good to go forever.
    Sorry, forgot.

My agenda is to find out more about dem famous Baptist people.

#19 Osterloh, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

How many times did you sin after that.
    How many times did they have to be "cleansed away?"

You are obedient and maintain your obedience via John 1.
    In John 1, it says that no man is sinless. If you claim to be you deceive yourself and the truth is not in you.
    Read 1:8,10.

So, for every sin there must be repentance. For every sin there is loss of salvation before repentance. For every sin, you must be cleansed by the blood all over again.
    Do you know that song: "You must be born again, and again, and again..."?