1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Through the Eyes of Spurgeon

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Squire Robertsson, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1 Squire Robertsson, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The film is a standard full length documentary at 1 hour and 57 minutes. It's well produced with solid foundation in primary sources. One fact is inescapable. Brother Spurgeon clearly considered himself a Calvinist and clearly held to what he termed the Doctrines of Grace.
    More later when I get a chance to re see it.

3. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm working through the film for the second time. This time I'm making notes of what I consider points of interest.

• 21:24 His conversion at a Primitive Methodist meeting.
    How many here would on face value a Primitive Methodist conversion?

• 39+/- His focus on the local church

• 44:55 "He would ask applicants [to the Pastors' College] 'How often have you won souls to Christ? Have you won souls today?'"
    If these question were asked without attribution, how many would dismiss them as so much revivalism?

• 58 D.L. Moody preaches Spurgeon's Jubilee in June 1884 at the Metropolitan Tabernacle. He also preached for Spurgeon on other occasions.
    Please comment on this pairing.

I stopped at the half way point more to come.

4. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly the man that took the pulpit at the Primitive Methodist church the day of Spurgeon's conversion was not a preacher but filled in for the pastor because of bad weather. I have no problem with his conversion at a Primitive Methodist church but he also had been under great conviction of sin for about five years prior to his conversion. I think I read somewhere the reason he let D. L. Moody preach in his pulpit was because Moody had a great burden for souls as he did. From what I have read of Moody he was not a theologian but his messages were more on personal experiences. I read that Spurgeon description of a God called preacher was to have a clear strong voice, with a barrel chest and stocky built.