1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

πρόγνωσις . . . prognosis

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 37818, Nov 23, 2019.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many translations and interpeters take it to mean to foreknow. Others take God's predetermining to mean His sovereign choosing.

". . . according to the foreknowledge of God . . . ." -- 1 Peter 1:2. KJV.
    ". . . and destined by God . . . ." -- 1 Peter 1:2. RSV.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's foreknowledge of those He elected (1 Peter 1:1) is as much a statement of His eternal foreordained plan to have fellowship with the objects of His saving grace, as it is His predetermining to save each elect person. So, it really is both. From all eternity God knew those He elected. Those whom He elected He called in-time.

There are those who claim that God created the elect as a corporate group of individuals He would save but filled that group with those He foreknew would choose the Son. This view is a novel attempt to make salvation monergistic while at the same time preserving the free will of the individual. It is a view that has absolutely no support in scripture.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. LOL and I am not a Calvinist. God in His absolute omniscience, I fail to see how it can be any different. The election being precieved as being corporate is a consequenc of the elect being spoken of being a group, Ephesians 1:4. Groups are made up of individuals, 1 Peter 1:2; Romans 8:29.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are confusing God's omniscience of all things, with His foreknowledge of the elect sheep.

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not know what you are talking about, do you? Do you think you can read my mind? Then explain how God being omniscient could not know His elect?

6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God knows the Elect because He chose the Elect. God is not passive in Election. How this differs with the corporate election proponents is that God did not create a nameless category ("the Elect") first. He elected individuals and they became the Elect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way I understand the rendering, it is brought into the English as, literally, "before-to-know".

The word the translators used in the AV, was "foreknow"...
    But to me, it's not quite descriptive enough, even though it comes as close as the English language will allow in one word or phrase.

In my mind when I see the word, "foreknow" on the page ( especially in Romans 8:29 ), I then go over to Jeremiah 1:5 and Psalms 139:13-16, and I see Scripture defining and "interpreting" ( clarifying and reinforcing ) the idea that God knew His people, intimately, before He created them.

I like to think of God "knowing" His children spiritually, before He created them, similar to a man "knowing" his wife, in the physical sense.
    To me, physical marriage is but a shadow or "picture" of Christ and His bride...
    An intimacy that human marriage can only distantly be compared to.

It's not sexual...which is far too limited.
    The man-wife relationship was created and based on an actual relationship that occurs between God and the objects of His love, spiritually...the believer.
    It's Spirit-to-spirit.

That said, I understand it to mean as I have indicated above, and that from my reading of Scripture alone.
    One day it simply occurred to me that God not only knew His children, He purposely created them for Himself :

" I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth;
    7 [even] every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him." ( Isaiah 43:6-7 )

" This people have I formed for myself; they shall shew forth my praise." ( Isaiah 43:21 ).
    This agrees with Romans 9:23:

" and that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, ".
    As well as this:

" For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." ( Ephesians 2:10 ).

Oh...and did I mention this?

" But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
    5 even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, ( by grace ye are saved; )
    6 and hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus:
    7 that in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in [his] kindness toward us through Christ Jesus." ( Ephesians 2:4-7 )

:)

May God bless you.

#7 Dave G, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I do know what i am talking about. Someone else is confused, and i know who it is.

No, not at all. I can read your posts however and you are misguided on this.

God foreknows the elect. He set His love on them before time.
    He foreknows persons whom he intends to save.
    While God in His omniscience knows the end from the beginning, He only foreknows His sheep.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If God has fully ORDAINS all things come to pass there is no possibilities of anything happening other then the way God constructs it to happen.

1 Samuel 23

6Now it came about, when Abiathar the son of Ahimelech fled to David at Keilah, that he came down with an ephod in his hand. 7When it was told Saul that David had come to Keilah, Saul said, “God has delivered him into my hand, for he shut himself in by entering a city with double gates and bars.” 8So Saul summoned all the people for war, to go down to Keilah to besiege David and his men. 9Now David knew that Saul was plotting evil against him; so he said to Abiathar the priest, “Bring the ephod here.” 10Then David said, “O LORD God of Israel, Your servant has heard for certain that Saul is seeking to come to Keilah to destroy the city on my account. 11“Will the men of Keilah surrender me into his hand? Will Saul come down just as Your servant has heard? O LORD God of Israel, I pray, tell Your servant.” And the LORD said, “He will come down.12Then David said, “Will the men of Keilah surrender me and my men into the hand of Saul?” And the LORD said, “They will surrender you.” 13Then David and his men, about six hundred, arose and departed from Keilah, and they went wherever they could go. When it was told Saul that David had escaped from Keilah, he gave up the pursuit. 14David stayed in the wilderness in the strongholds, and remained in the hill country in the wilderness of Ziph. And Saul sought him every day, but God did not deliver him into his hand.

Saul is hunting David down. David asks God will Saul come to this city looking for him, God almighty said HE WILL.
    David asks Will the People of the City turn him over to Saul? God almighty said YES THEY WILL.

David leaves the city. Saul never goes to the City, The City of Keilah never surrenders David over.

David doesn't ask if he leaves or should he leave.

Will Saul come down just as Your servant has heard? O LORD God of Israel, I pray, tell Your servant.” And the LORD said, “He will come down.

“Will the men of Keilah surrender me and my men into the hand of Saul?” And the LORD said, “They will surrender you.”

If God has fully ORDAINS all things come to pass there is no possibilities of anything happening other then the way God constructs it to happen.

Calvinist-god Should have stated Saul will not come here because You, David, will leave. OR Since God ordained that Saul would come and the city would surrender him it should have happened so.

If God says the cops will arrest you here, expect to be arrested, and if you try to leave, you'll prob end up breaking a leg or passing out.......no matter what you do, you are destined by what God ordains will happen.

A God who is limited to ordaining everything has no possibilities. Its a one way track , the word "IF" is meaningless.

But in scripture CLEARLY David exercised free will to LEAVE. And God's ORDAINED foreknowledge/prophecy failed?

A God who ordains all things is not affected by "IF" or optional possibilities. Bad weather or Good weather is not going to determine how the next day goes. God is the ultimate determiner of ALL THINGS.

God cannot scratch his head and say well if you drink the coke it will make your head ache go away, Because he absolutely already DECIDED what you will drink or not. HE ORDAINS the OUTCOME.

Again there is no "IF" you do this, God will do that......It all has already been predetermined.