1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

“As One That Serves”

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by NetChaplain, May 19, 2022.

1. NetChaplain

NetChaplain Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “There was a man sent from God whose name was John. The same came for a witness to bear witness of the Light that all through him might believe” (John 1:6). In John we might consider some principles as to the marks of a true servant.

First, he (John) came from God. In order to do this, we might first be with God. Alas! This is the weak point with so many. The excitement of service has an attraction for the natural tastes which the holy calm of the sanctuary does not produce. In one way service makes nothing of us, for in the presence of God we find that in ourselves we are nothing. Men are needed who are really with God. There is no real freshness if we are not with our Father. Our hearts lose their divine sensibilities, we drop down to the level of things around us, and service becomes more or less formal and mechanistic (our service to others effects not our manner of fellowship with God, but our manner of fellowship with God effects our service to others—NC).

The most glorious and soul-stirring realities are soon held as mere doctrines, and of course are preached as they are held. Then very soon the servant begins to feel a complacent self-satisfaction as to his service, which is not disturbed even by the lack of any manifest blessing. On the other hand, if we are with our Father, we are in spiritual reality as to our own experience. We do not deceive ourselves as to the measure of our progress, gift or faith. We think “soberly” (Rom 12:3) as we ought to think. Then it is with God that we learn His love, His unmeasured grace, His glorious purposes, His great thoughts concerning the Lord Jesus, the reality of the Spirit’s power, and many other things which are accepted in theory by many but known as realities by all too few (though genuinely saved, but not yet in the intended mature fellowship with God, which will come with time—NC).

Then, having been with our Father in the secret of His presence, we can come from Him in the reality of what we have learned within the veil, to serve in a world like this. We do not then measure the Enemy’s power against our weakness, but against God. We do not put on the armor which others have worn, or follow in the beaten track where other servants have trod. We do not confer with flesh and blood as to the scope and character of our service (2Co 10:12—NC).
    There is an originality about every servant who comes from the Father. He does not fashion two servants in the same mold—that is man’s work—and just in proportion as we are formed in the sanctuary, each will have his own peculiar fitness for his own service, and such stamp will be upon it that faith will recognize that it comes from God.

The second mark of a true servant of God is that he is consciously nothing in himself. John could speak of himself as only a “voice,” and a greater than John was consciously “less than the least of all saints” (Eph 3:8). The moment we think ourselves to be anything (Gal 6:3), we are out of the servant’s true position and spirit (John 13:16). The more worthy we are of the Lord’s commendation (2 Cor 10:18), the less we think of ourselves.

The third mark of a true servant of the Lord is that he is a “witness.” He speaks of that which he has seen (1 John 1:3) and known for himself. It was said to Paul that he was to be “a witness of these things which thou hast seen” (Acts 26:16). We may minister things which we have never entered into ourselves, but we cannot be witnesses of them. Hence the deep importance of cultivating communion with the Father, and increased intimacy with the Lord Jesus. Whether it be the terror of the Lord, the love of the Father, the value of the Lord Jesus’ work, or the blessings which faith enjoys, we must ourselves have already came into that which we share with others, or we become lecturers rather than witnesses.

—Charles Andrew Coates (1862-1945)

“None but the Hungry Heart” devotional for 5-19. ABIDING PRAYER

“AND THIS IS THE CONFIDENCE THAT WE HAVE IN HIM, THAT, IF WE ASK ANY THING ACCORDING TO HIS WILL, HE HEARETH US” (1 JOHN 5:14).

“If I ask anything of God, and have received His answer, I then act with assurance, with the conviction that I am in the path of His will; I am happy and contented. If I meet with some difficulty, this does not stop me; it is only an obstacle which faith has to surmount.

“But if I have not this certainty before I begin, I am in indecision, I know not what to do. There may be a trial of my faith, or it may be that I ought not to do what I am doing. I am in suspense, and I hesitate; even if I am doing the will of God, I am not sure about it, and I am not happy. I ought therefore to be assured that I am doing His will before I begin to act.” -J.N.D.

“AND IF WE KNOW THAT HE HEAR US, WHATEVER WE ASK, WE KNOW THAT WE HAVE THE PETITIONS THAT WE DESIRED OF HIM” (1 JOHN 5:15).
    None But The Hungry Heart

Asking God “according to His will” (1Jo 5:14) is not in the sense of something specific but with everything that is in agreement with His general revealed (in His Word) will. An example could be one who is wondering if it is acceptable with God to divorce a spouse because of having greater affections for another. If we are too moved by our sensual attributes (concerning any issue) we will be misled into attempting to justify sin, and miss God’s intention concerning His desire. Regardless the mistake in our judgement, I believe He eventually ensures we learn the truth and correctness of His will (given time - Eph 5:17); He would not allow those who are His to continue in ignorance of His heart’s desire for each. —NC

2. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was talking to Jesus in prayer in my mind going through the shopping mall. “Live in me Lord, walk in my walking, be free to walk the earth again in me. I am nothing, I don’t know how to live my life, you live my Life, if there is a plan for my life and you love me. I praise you, I bless you, I love and adore you Lord”

A woman from the crowd pushed me by the shoulders to the glass at the side of a shop and said. “ I have got to tell you something! Jesus wants me to tell you something! Jesus wants me to tell you that He loves you and that he definitely has a plan for your life, does this make sense”
    And I told her that I was just talking to Jesus about it in my head. She just smiled touched my face and walked off into the crowd.

The thing about Jesus is, if you are completely real with Jesus, He gets completely real with you.

Just be genuine and generous, and tell Jesus you give Him complete power of attorney talking to Him knowing He is right there with you. Like a real person in front of you type of thing.
    Jesus handles all the other things you can’t begin to understand.

The same mall where I worked as a cleaner. A security guard woman began to work there, we used the same crib room for meals. She eventually told me that she had left her husband and just wanted to find a young man to have “ good hard sex with and I want him totally shaven down there“. I said to Jesus in my head “ I can’t deal with this, you take over “

Jesus took over. “ Your husband, would he die for you? “ she stopped and said “ Yeah I think he would “ . “ Would He suffer really terribly and die in your place, even now you broke up ?” And she paused a second and she “ Yes he would “.

“ Then that man loves you more than any man on earth “.

She had a shock and mess of emotions in her face that looked very deep. Jesus knew the exact words to speak to her heart, He is like that every time.

The following week I saw her walking through the mall in civilian clothes with a man holding his hand and she ran up to me and kissed me on the cheek. “ I am back with my husband and thank you” .

How simple is that, do the hand over and Jesus fixes the situation. He can use any idiot like me, just do the hand over.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, and thanks for your reply and comments! God uses those who puts the Lord Jesus first and when believers trust only Him for salvation, nothing delays our growth in Him so that we can be used in proper service to Him. There's only one thing in a Christian's life that's succeeds service to God, and that's a growing fellowship with Him; for the greater our fellowship with Him, the greater our usage by Him!

God's blessings to your Family!

4. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It’s not really fellowship as such, it’s oneness with Jesus, we no longer live but Jesus in us, we get dissolved in Him in some way.
    With the power of attorney handover, it means that there is no delay because you have given over your volition, Jesus acts, Jesus does.

We serve by getting out of His way, we make things far worse when we try to fix things. We haven’t got the intelligence, Goodness, Love or understanding to do the work, only Jesus can speak to and change people’s hearts.

Just be happy to be the dumb donkey that carries Jesus into Jerusalem and you see the difference between what you can do, and what He can do.
    We are not like the activists of this world who do by their own human will, we are evangelists of Christ who carry Jesus to the world in whatever way He wills by His power and in His timing.

Tell Jesus to Live in you and Reign in you as Sovereign King on the Throne, do the full hand over, not just believing in Him, but then acting in your human will. But even handing over your human will, your very volition. The heart of you.

Let go and trust Jesus, giving over your volition feels like falling into an endless void but that is why you must Love and Trust Jesus like little child, not the wilful grown up with his own ideas.

Not by force of our dangerous fallen wills, His Will be done, His Kingdom come on Earth in you.

5. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like your comments here, but it's my understanding that "Yet not I" intends yet I live not by my old nature, because God's purpose of fellowship with those reborn involves our person and character and not eradication of the person. Jesus doesn't replace us nor our old nature but rather dwells in us in our additionally given new man (new nature), which was "created" after His "image" (Col 3:10).

What lives now is the new self in the new nature, while Christ uses us to manifest Him living His own life in us (seen in my signature). It's the power of the Spirit using the Life of Christ (Col 3:4).

May I share John Gill on this subject: Galatians 2 Bible Commentary - John Gill’s Exposition of the Bible

6. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don’t know the technical side of it, but I know we keep our personality but it’s Jesus that expresses Himself in our personality. You know if it’s you or Jesus saying and doing things because with Jesus it’s like poetry for the heart.

Sometimes you can’t remember what Jesus says to people, that’s because it’s between them and Jesus, you just carry Jesus to people. Only He knows people’s hearts and can do something about it.
    We really can’t do anything, Jesus has done so many miracles in street ministry, He is far more effective than all social workers and He doesn’t burn out.

Sometimes you think you should speak and do but Jesus calls you to rest, and other times you think you should rest and Jesus goes out to speak and do.
    Sometimes you are in Him and He in you. You rest in Him but He rests in you.

“Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”

In us Jesus finally has a place to rest His head, and doesn’t He deserve it. Give Jesus the garden of your heart so He can pass out in the shade and sleep surrounded in Love.
    Rest here Lord.

7. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks and I agree!

8. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I remember when I was a carer doing aged care as a contractor. One morning when I started, all the staff seemed like they were driven mad by one resident lady constantly wailing, so I asked Jesus to bring down His Mercy and Love to her.
    She instantly stopped. And a senior nurse having her end of shift cuppa said “it’s stopped!, we have tried everything to make her comfortable, but she has been screaming all night and half of yesterday”
    Yeah well if they had thought of asking Jesus about it things would have gone much smoother, it’s not just physical ailments people have.

I remember Rodney, his colostomy bag had come off in the night, and people had waited for the contract staff to come in and sort it out. The smell was terrible, there was no mistaking what had happened, anyone passing by the room would have known. I was born and raised in a third world and am pretty seasoned to bad smells, but this one was special. So I asked Jesus take over, and in no time Rodney was cleaned up with new bag and changed bed.
    Rodney stopped asking for help, so he had to say in that state for who knows how many hours. The best we can do is not the best Jesus can do.Anything short of Jesus won’t work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The problem is that we are hard as nails, cynical and don’t understand or even know what real love is.
    You see yourself sometimes compared to Him and you wonder why He even bothers with us. Real cold ugliness compared to His purity and warmth.

Don’t go into a tail spin when you see yourself, nothing compares to Jesus ok, it’s just a reminder now and then where you are and He is.
    And don’t think it is unmanly to love like I first did, Jesus is the ultimate man and look at how much He Loves.
    I had to learn a new definition of Love when dealing with Jesus, we can’t contain that fire it would totally kill us.
    That is why the love is given to us each day as daily bread to be shared out to the world.
    “ I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.“

The branch is distinct of itself but receives the one life of the Vine, and because of the Vine it will bear fruit.

10. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! We do not produce fruit of God but as the branch--can only "bear" (manifest; show - Jhn 15:8) it. This helps us to rest in Him and no other!

God bless!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    His Holy Will being established in us who take on the mind of Christ by dwelling in His Presence, The Father already knowing our needs for that work in His vineyard, we find along the way those provisions and tools The Father has Lovingly anticipated for His Son.
    With every daily row in the vineyard is the Fathers daily bread waiting.

“ My food is to do the Will of the Father “

“When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered.

Unless you have the mind of Christ by Living in His Presence, you will not see the daily bread laid out by The Father.

Start each row every morning desiring only to do the Will of The Father, this is having the mind of Jesus. The mind of Mercy from The Father of Mercy.

This will make you fit for work in The Father's vineyard. There you will happily greet Jesus ready for the day’s work as dawn breaks.
    With Jesus you will pass the day working at His pace and effectiveness taking time for joyful breaks as He decides and The Father provided for.
    And as the days row is done and the joyful thanksgiving comes out from you to The Father, The Father will have prepared for you a quiet night and a perfect rest.

That Peace only comes to those who have done The Will of The Father in vineyard. They pass the night in Peace because at night The Father keeps watch and prepares everything The Son needs the next day.

So we think the better of it, because The Father’s vineyard is better than the madness of wilful pursuits in this passing world, the vineyard is the preparation for the world to come, where the Will of The Father is always done.

When our last row is finished and the harvest gathered, we will look over the vineyard as so many joyful days spent with Jesus and The Father Will call us home to the eternal feast.

12. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like your comments! Amen, we're to be occupied, and that about the Father's business (Luk 2:49; 19:13); and I believe the goal concerning our works is to be ever mindful of the difference between fellowship and works, as Martha was not aware as her sister Mary that fellowship with God precedes service to Him, in order that the works be oriented and derive from Him. Our practical degree of fellowship can be seen in all that we do, thus our need in receiving from God is always greater than our service to Him.

13. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Forget the technical things brother, I love all dudes that try to hold to the Word with all their hearts.
    But I saw the Suffering Face of Jesus on a heroine addict, it was our Lord as clear as day. It was Jesus dude. The same face I know and love.
    Those “works “ are Jesus serving Jesus in others, it’s way beyond my understanding.
    Those “works” aren’t ours man, it’s Jesus that acts in Love and mercy. It is Jesus being served as well.
    It’s Jesus that reaches up in misery and Jesus that reaches down in Mercy.

Jesus owns everything, us, our sin and our misery, purchased with His Precious Blood.

One night in street ministry a bloke came up to me and thanked me for praying over him some time before. I didn’t remember.

He had changed his life around after the night I prayed over him. Slowly I remembered, it was the skinny near death dude I prayed over that miraculously looked like Jesus on the Cross nearly two years before.
    I didn’t recognise him healthy. In the spirit I saw Jesus.

He said on that night I looked like Jesus, but I said he looked like Jesus to me that night.
    I remembered that night when I hugged this bloke, because he said he felt like he was hugged by Jesus and Jesus life healed him of addiction right then. I tell Jesus to walk the earth again me all the time.

These are the miracles Jesus does when we allow Him to use us unreservedly.in the hand over.

Jesus is the one that’s serves, not just in the baddest part of town but even in the wealthiest, “civilised “part of town, Jesus is working everywhere.

I’m just a very poor Garden contractor trusting in Jesus and The Father for my daily bread and trying to care for my aged parents at the same time. I couldn’t read through the links you gave me mate, I can’t give the technical details of things, only the things I’ve seen.

14. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry if you feel I'm being technical, but it's just the way I am, trying to always encourage for spiritual growth through Scripture. Not sure I'm understanding you enough here, not sure where I was misunderstood, but I agree that it's all about unconditional love to the saints.

God bless!

15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I butt in here for a minute... I was raised in church, in fact I have been on this board for almost 20 years... It seems to me that we are always trying to drag people to church... If you don't believe like I do you not saved?... Church is beneficial, don't get me wrong but how many show Jesus, by what they do for other in their daily lives?... Kindness to others not in church go a long way... In all my studies in all the time I've been in the church and this is a hard pill to swallow, Jesus does not run people out of church, his people do... I joined the church when I was 22 and I'm now 76, so I think I know somewhat after observing for these many years what I'm talking about... And if a man or woman has love in them, they didn't change themselves, because love for others is an attribute of God alone... You keep doing what your doing... You both are a blessing from God... Brother Glen:)

1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

16. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, and thank you for your encouraging comments! God's blessings to your Family!

17. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To many on here forget one point, you need guidance not criticism... There is enough on here even for believers... Its not about denominations, its about determination, to serve God as you serve others... We ALL walk with feet of clay!... Brother Glen:)

This is saying that I would to pass on that heard a preacher say... How do you spell JOY?

Jesus first... Yourself last... And nothing in between, or
    Jesus first... Others second... And Yourself last!

#17 tyndale1946, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022