1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

“Can the Giants take on Philadelphia?”

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4ever4Jesus, Oct 13, 2010.

1. 4ever4Jesus

4ever4Jesus New Member

The Padres were in first place in their division. Then the Giants caught up. It was now a race between the Padres and the Giants. The Giants won their division by one game over the Padres.

The Giants faced the Braves no one can say they won by a landslide. But the Giants have been known to keep the games at low score winning by one or 2. They have earned their way winning like this.

But can they do this against Philadelphia? I am rooting for the Giants. But I believe that Philadelphia may have the edge or do they?

The Minn. twins came out with a good record. You just thought they would have been a good match against Philadelphia. The Twins got swept out by the Yankees. They said the Yankees although beating the Twins are not at their best. They think the Yankees are more mediocre. But they are in the final 4 now to face the Rangers. Maybe I am wrong but it appears to me that it is more dangerous for the Giants to face Philadelphia now. They got the best record. They made the Reds look like amateurs. The Padres beat the Reds twice but barely. The lost the third game which cost them the division. For then they were 3 games behind. The Giants only had to win one game and did.

The Giants seem to be pitching pretty well. But they are not scoring high most of the time. Philadelphia may just hold back the Giants. But that’s the good thing about games. We can try to predict but we don’t know. It is a wait and see if Philadelphia has been playing as good as they have. The Giants may be swept out like the Reds. Can the Giants win by this holding back the other team and winning by a point or 2. If they can beat Philadelphia they earned their way to the series. Who is going to win between the Rangers and the Yankees? . The Yankees came in as a wild card but with a good record still. The Rays almost made a come back of 2 game loss then winning 2 now lost. We will see how good the Yankees is if the Rangers will or can beat them this could be a closer race. Will the Rangers beat the wild card Yankees? Can the Giants handle Philadelphia? We will wait and see. Do you have any input on these games?

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I would not be surprised to see the Rangers beat the Yankees; they just need to score some runs, which they are capable of doing. Cliff Lee not being able to start until game 3 might be a blessing in disguise because (1) Lee hasn't pitched that great at home in Texas where games 1 and 2 are at, and (2) Lee has that ice factor where he can handle the aura of Yankee Stadium and pitch well. In fact, I will predict it right now - Rangers win in 7.

For the NL series, I would be pretty surprised to see the Giants win. To me, the Phillies almost seem unbeatable. Will the Giants' below-average offense be able to score any runs off Philly's pithing? Otherwise, Lincecum and the gang will have to practically pitch shut-outs every game. I am looking forward to that game 1 match-up of Lincecum/Halladay. My prediction is the Phillies in 5, but I am rooting for the Giants.

And for the World Series: Phillies over the Rangers in 6.

Would love to see a Rangers/Giants series, though.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Here's the one X factor: The Phillies have struggled at the plate so far in the post season. They're barely hitting .200. Granted, the Reds had some good arms, but had the Reds bats not been completely silent, this series might have gone to tonight. Of course, the Phillies are good at scoring runs without hits, as they capitalized on Reds' miscues in the ill-fated game two in Philly.

I say all that to say this: if the Giants can play over their heads and get a bloop and a blast here or there, should the Phillie bats remain AWOL, this series could be interesting. But Andy is likely right. The Phillies have the clearly dominant staff in all of the playoffs. So I like the Phillies, too, but their offense will have to wake up. They struggled against a talented staff in the NLDS. Now they face a talented and experienced staff. I like the Phillies in 6 because I think Oswalt can be had - twice. For that reason, look for Blanton to come into the rotation or for Halladay to start with short rest once or twice if necessary, or maybe even switching Hamels and Oswalt (don't know if I'd do it...I'd rather have Hamels pitch in San Fran than Oswalt).

Halladay vs. Lincecum. I can't wait.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm going to take a page from Mike and Mike's playbook. During the NFL playoffs, they rate various aspects of the teams for their confidence level of things like the Defense, Coach, QB, etc. Whoever has the lowest number is who they pick to win. So, I'm going to do the same thing and rate these teams on various aspects.

Starting Pitching
    #1 - Phillies
    #2 - Giants
    #3 - Yankees
    #4 - Rangers

Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels are the best 1-2-3 punch, followed closely by Lincecum/Sanchez/Cain.

Beyond Sabathia and Pettite, the Yankees are bereft. I love Cliff Lee and CJ Wilson, but Pettitte's so good in the playoffs.

Relief Pitching
    #1 - Yankees
    #2 - Rangers
    #3 - Giants
    #4 - Phillies

Yankees get the nod because of Rivera. This is probably the most subjective of all the rankings, because we don't really know what Neftali Feliz is going to do when facing the Yankees lineup late in the game with a 1 run lead.

Offense
    #1 - Phillies
    #2 - Rangers
    #3 - Yankees
    #4 - Giants

I think the perception of the Yankees is that they're an offensive powerhouse, but they really aren't. I think there are scarier hitters on the Rangers and Phillies than the Yanks.

Defense
    #1 - Phillies
    #2 - Rangers
    #3 - Yankees
    #4 - Giants

The Rangers have more team speed than the Yankees and I think their team speed is going to expose a right side of the Yankees infield that's lost a step.

Managers
    I didn't rate the managers because Girardi and Manuel are on the same level, as are Washington and Bochy. It's all about who's won and who hasn't.

Here are the scores.
    Phillies - 7
    Giants - 13
    Rangers - 10
    Yankees - 10

I like the Phillies in 6.

The Rangers and Yankees look pretty even, but the Rangers were a fun team to watch in the ALDS. They're a very balanced team that can win in any number of ways and I like them to win in 6.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You really think the Philly relief pitching is the worst of the four? Just curious.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The Rangers could possibly go at #4, but the Phillies no higher than #3.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Probably depends on which Lidge you get.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think Andy's right. I wouldn't jump to put them 1 or 4, but they can do either on any given day. In the reg season, SF had the best bullpen ERA of the final four. Texas edged out NYY, with Phi bringing up the rear.

9. God's Rainbowgal

God's Rainbowgal New Member

What Happened Here?

Well I followed the game with 4ever4Jesus tonight.
    Man I couldn't believe it. How did this happen?

I'm glad I didn't pay any money to see this live.
    The Rangers had a 5 run lead. Were the Yankees actually playing dead and
    tricking them that they couldn't win? Sheesh!!!

For all the money I see these guys earn I wonder now why that is:BangHead:

10. 4ever4Jesus

4ever4Jesus New Member

“Who said the Yankees were less better”

Recently a columnist tried to compares the Yankees performance compared to 2009 and other years. To me a wild card is just as good as a play off. I say this because the National has 3 divisions and the American 3 divisions. The Yankees and the Rays was at a close race for first place. We can’t say they are less good than the Rays. I mean they held up well with a good record.

At what it appeared in the Rangers Game that maybe the Yankees was not good as one columnist said. They made a surprising come back and I don’t know how they did it. But got to remember Yankees comes from Old School. As one might say wine gets better over time. Don’t underestimate the old schoolers. Got to remember the Yankees have been here before. They should not in any ways be nervous or of Rhythm. That was a close call though. The Rangers almost had them. The Rangers blew this game. I’m not a Yankees fan. I never will be. But it doesn’t bother me if they go. They surprisingly won over the Twins and what they did today. What will they do next? . They got some of that come back Fever. We’re not over till that opera starts on. I hate opera hahaha.

11. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Go Rangers - cc and I got it right, but cc even got the number of games right (6). Here's hoping my NLCS prediction is wrong and the Giants pull off the upset. Either way, go Rangers in the World Series!

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

And Josh Hamilton, whom the Reds let get away for nothing in return, is the LCS MVP. Of course he is.

Glad for him, seriously.

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. :)