1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

“Real” Ability of all God’s Creatures to Respond to the Influence of Him/Seek Truth

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Benjamin, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yet more...

2 Chr 31:20 And thus did Hezekiah throughout all Judah, and wrought that which was good and right and truth before the LORD his God.
    21 And in every work that he began in the service of the house of God, and in the law, and in the commandments, to seek his God, he did it with all his heart, and prospered.

King Hezekiah was able to do that which was good and right and truth. He sought God with all his heart.

You will be surprised how many men sought the Lord in the scriptures if you seek.

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Correct, he draws all men.

3. quantumfaith

Yes you are correct again....and a correct assumption it was.

4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Preacher4truth...

You posted (bolding mine)...

Of course we understand that. We can never keep the law. The Law is the instrument of condemnation that drives us to Christ.

At that point, Christ says to those who know that they are condemned...

At that point men have a free will choice to make

1) Take Christ up on His offer, recieve eternal life as a free gift, and the Holy Spirit as our comforter in this life.

2) Make the free will choice to reject the offer of eternal life.

Regarding the comment I bolded...

...the scriptures are absolutely OVERFLOWING with evidence that ALL men recieve Light (the opportunity to be saved) and all men can seek God and choose to recieve His offer of eternal life.

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

No sooner than I post on here, an OP centered upon my beliefs, the attack from the same old folks commenced.

The funny thing is that all of this objective is transparent.

The same crew, quantumfaith, winman, DHK, benjamin, and others come out, almost immediately after I post to find some fault in what I've said, to twist somehow to this "so what you're saying is..." putting words in my mouth relentlessly in hopes something will stick. This is truly shameful behavior.

Whatever I say I say plainly, no holds barred, no need to try and interpret it like a parable.

I said what I believe in defense of my faith and the Gospel. There was not one thing inflammatory in what I gave in defense of an OP concerning me personally, in defending I believe man can do nothing apart from God, and that we cannot seek nor keep one thing God commands lest He help us do so.

Go ahead and attack some more. I have been Christian and gracious here. This will be my last comment on an OP "set up" for me, with a clear objective.

- Grace and Peace to all that are His

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Alright, I will revise my statement. Your statements were specifically directed to Benjamin, as your entire post was. Here is what you said to Benjamin:
    1. Does Benjamin believe in a "man can" based theology? Why even bring it up then? Why the inference?

2. Does Benjamin believe that he must fulfill the law, or does he not believe that Christ fulfilled all the law? Why are suggesting that he doesn't believe that Christ kept the Law, and that "Benjamin and his crew thinks he can."

--You have used personal pronouns directed at Benjamin and his crew.
    Who are "his crew," and why are you attacking Benjamin?
    Do you know for sure these are Benjamin's beliefs? If they are not you need to retract them.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

The only thing I have said is that the scriptures have many examples of men who sought God and therefore your interpretation of Romans 3 cannot be correct.

Now, I would argue that when the scriptures say no man doeth good or seeks God it is speaking of doing good 100% of the time and seeking God 100% of the time. If this is the criteria, then yes, no man does good or seeks God.

Where you misunderstand me is that when I say man is capable of doing good, you misrepresent me as saying man can earn salvation. I believe no such thing. I believe all men have sinned and come short of the glory of God. My disagreement is with Total Inability, not salvation through grace. I believe man can do SOME good, and I have shown scripture today that says that. The scriptures say both king Jehoshaphat and king Asa did good things and sought God.

Man can do good, although no man except Jesus did 100% good. To earn heaven you would have to be perfectly righteous, never sinning once. This is true, no man but Jesus has ever done 100% good.

Calvinism goes to the extreme and says unregenerate man can do no good. This is easily proved false, unregenerate man can tell the truth and often do. Telling the truth is not a sin, to say otherwise is absolute nonsense and makes God's commands meaningless and nonsensical. If everything the unregenerate man does is sin, then the law would not have been necessary as our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. God could have simply said we are sinners regardless of what we do. But that is not what God says. God says to bear false witness is sin, but to tell the truth is good.

Man was not so disabled in the fall that he cannot do good. He can still tell the truth at times. He can be honest at times. And man can believe when he is presented with the gospel.

But no amount of good works can save any man. Even if you were to be good all your life and only sin one single time, that single sin must be paid for, and the wages of sin is death.

It is like our law. You could be an honest citizen all your life, but one day go in and rob a bank. Could you argue to the judge that you have been an honest citizen all your life and have only broken the law this one time and should therefore be found not guilty? Of course not, that is ridiculous. If you robbed the bank and the jury found you guilty, you are a convicted "bank robber" and must pay the penalty of the law. We are not on some sort of scale that balances our good works against our sins.

This is how God's law works as well. If you sin even once, that sin must be paid for and the penalty is death, separation from God forever.

So, I have never argued man can earn salvation, I simply disagree with Total Inability that man is unable to do any good thing. And this thread is more evidence of what I contend, there are many examples of men doing both good and seeking God in the scriptures. Don't take my word for it, look in your own Bible and see if I have misquoted any of the verses I have submitted.

#27 Winman, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011
  8. Alive in Christ

True.

But everyone....is....drawn.

Not all at the same time of course, but revelatory "Light" is given to....

And in the same way that everyone has opportunity, everyone has a chance to be wise and choose Christ. God is....

...in the sense of "I choose Bob Smith, but I do not choose Steve Jones over there.

...as Calvinism teaches.

AiC

9. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

That's not in the Bible. The "no respecter of persons" is about judgement. God will judge all men the same, not matter who they are.

Taking "not respecter of persons" out of context can be dangerous.

Example: All will go to heaven. God wouldn't send some to hell and some to heaven because he is no respecter of persons.

And of course, I believe in unconditional election. Conditional election is a lot closer to being a "respecter of persons."

10. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Romans 3:11 doesn't tell of man's inability to seek, but rather, his unwillingness.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

I disagree, when James said God is no respecter of persons it was said of God not preferring rich people over poor. When Peter said this, he was saying God does not prefer the Jews over the Gentiles.

Acts 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
    35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

This has nothing to do with judgment, in fact, Peter is speaking of who is "accepted" by God. He was saying it does not matter what group or people you are from, what matters to God is who fears him and works righteousness. And I would think the word "accepted" equivalent to meaning "chosen". A person who fears God is someone who has faith, someone who truly believes in God.

12. Alive in Christ

Jbh28....

You said...

Well, here is the passage...

Thats referring to showing partiality..and that God will not arbitrarilly choose some and not others. That supports what I am saying wonderfully

I dont see any of these passages disturbing my position at all.

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Exactly what I was saying. God judges us not based on us being poor or rich, or being a Jew or Gentile.

Acts 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
    35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

This has nothing to do with judgment, in fact, Peter is speaking of who is "accepted" by God. He was saying it does not matter what group or people you are from, what matters to God is who fears him and works righteousness. And I would think the word "accepted" equivalent to meaning "chosen". A person who fears God is someone who has faith, someone who truly believes in God.[/QUOTE]This one is that God will look who has faith and who doesn't. My point still stands that "no respecter of persons" doesn't negate election.

14. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I don't believe, nor does any Calvinist, that God "arbitrarilly[sic]" chooses some and not others.

I wasn't saying anything about your position. I was answering you argument about "respecter of persons" vs election.

15. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

He's unable because he's unwilling. When we say "unable" we don't mean that someone else is keeping him from coming, but that the person's own will is keeping him from coming.

16. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

That seems out of place. Unable and unwilling have two different meanings. Perhaps I am missing something here and you can explain further.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

This one is that God will look who has faith and who doesn't. My point still stands that "no respecter of persons" doesn't negate election.[/QUOTE]

I disagree again, Peter's language is clear and simple, those who fear God and work righteousness are those who are accepted with God. This shows the fearing God and working righteousness as the cause, the being accepted with God as the effect.

18. quantumfaith

jbh28,

What does the Calvinist say is the basis for God electing some but not others?

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a nut shell, and a large nut shell it may be; the law is God’s way to show us that we are fallen in Adam, mankind was created in God’s likeness and image and desired to be as gods, to know good and evil and to be judges thereof. (Gen 3:5,7,22). From the beginning of creation we have knowledge, reason and intellect and are made is His image but we are not gods, there is only One that is Good, that can judge between good and evil, we see this in our falling short of keeping God’s law. In falling short we are separated from God, (who is Good and Perfect), because of the knowledge mankind received we are fallen/separated from God in this nature because all will sin (miss the mark of perfection). But our Loving Creator, in His wisdom, made a promise concerning all His creatures, even before the foundation of the world, that although they would no doubt die (be separated from God) in their sins, that they could live again (forever with God) in the Spirit of the Son. We willing chose to have knowledge in Adam and thereby are dead/are separated and we must willingly choose life in the Son. We must die to ourselves, our desire to be as gods, so that we can live in the Spirit of Christ. God will keep us, the law reveals the need to be saved, true - not one is righteous; and though we are undeserving our Merciful God gave us a choice, a “real” choice. God’s Word reveals this choice, Gen 3:22 “And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:”

God reveals the truth to all His creatures (the things that are made) that they are without excuse:

Rom 1:19-32
    (19) Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
    (20) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

The natural man will not seek God because he wishes to be as a god, but our Loving and Merciful Creator provides Grace to all His creatures…

Joh 1:7-12
    (7) The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
    (8) He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
    (9) That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
    (10) He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
    (11) He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
    (12) But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

You see, the Gospel is a message to all God creatures and this is what we should preach. His word came into the world and all have seen this light, all are without excuse, none would be saved unless God were to draw them with this light, many choose to turn their backs stay and in the dark, they hate the Truth, in their pride they wish to be as gods, some who even admit they believe in God and fear Him will even proclaim that they had to be forced to believe. God reveals the truth because He is “Truth” and the “real” promise to all His creatures is that they will be saved if they die to themselves and that they may live again in the Spirit of Christ – HOW does this happen? – In love of the truth – God tells us to seek the truth – THESES ARE NOT EMPTY WORDS – God’s glory is in the sacrifice of His Son which in Divine love provides salvation to whosoever believes in the Truth.

This message includes: NO, little gods, little men of knowledge, you cannot earn your salvation/eternal life; it is a free gift/offer of grace by God through faith. You will not boast in your works, you will not judge what is good, you are not perfect, you have been given life but there is only One God, you are dead in sin but there is a plan of salvation, in Adam/creation of man you will surely die, choose to accept the promise made before the foundation of the world and live again in the Spirit of Christ. You will only live if you love the truth, which is revealed to every creature, this is through faith, ask and it will be given you, “seek” and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you…

Through a dogmatic theological deterministic stance many attempt to change the Loving nature of God and His promise of grace to all His creatures into a Deterministic Despot who forces his will against His creatures, and this only toward a pre-selected few. They attempt to turn His loving merciful nature and His promise to all His creatures (the Gospel message), that He will “keep” them for repentance of their ways, by dying to themselves, for love of the Truth, FAITH!!!, into that of a god who made creatures and cast them into the world with no hope whatsoever unless he predeterminately made/forced them to believe (love the Truth/God). As if God is rubbing it in His creatures’ faces when His Son says, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but by Me.” NO!!!, the nature of God is Love, He offers a “genuine” “real” merciful plan of salvation to “whosoever” will take of His offer of life…by love of the Truth…through “real” faith in what is revealed to all His creatures, which is clearly revealed in His Word in a promise made before the foundation of the world to ALL. The Gospel is about God’s love for the whole world, John 3:16.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh baloney, get the sequence right, Nick was attracted to Christ because of the Spirit that was already in him:

v 21 But he that doeth the truth cometh to the light, that his works may be made manifest, that they have been wrought in God.

Remember, Christ was addressing Nick with these words.

#40 kyredneck, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.