1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Cor 11:4-10. Headcovering for women!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Felix, Nov 11, 2003.

1. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Webster's 1828:
    ADORN', v.t. 1. To deck or decorate; to make beautiful; to add to beauty by dress; to deck with external ornaments.

'Adorning' involves beautification, it is not a synonym for 'wearing'.

E.g. if I put on a garbage bag I'm certainly wearing it, but I'm in no way adorning myself with it.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This will be my last post in this thread.

No matter how you slice it, 1 Cor. 11 comes up about ranks and their outward signs.

Not "precious little Scripture," just precious little submission to the authority thereof.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Ironic, the thing (contention) Paul was trying to avoid with this conclusion is happening right here and now.

My opinion of course.

HankD

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Good thoughts Hank.

What has most concerned me in this thread has been the divisive spirit. Sad that one issue can cause so much division between brothers and sisters in Christ. :(

5. Walls

Walls New Member

Webster's 1828:
    ADORN', v.t. 1. To deck or decorate; to make beautiful; to add to beauty by dress; to deck with external ornaments.

'Adorning' involves beautification, it is not a synonym for 'wearing'.

E.g. if I put on a garbage bag I'm certainly wearing it, but I'm in no way adorning myself with it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I am glad you brought that up, someone also mention 1 Pet 3 about putting on of apparel. According to Webster's 1828 apparal means..APPAR'EL, n. [L. paro, apparo, to prepare; Heb. bara]

1. Clothing; vesture; garments; dress.

2. External habiliments or decorations; appearance; as, religion appears in the natural apparel of simplicity.

Looking at the second definition we see that any external decoration is apparel.