1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Cor 12:13

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by UZThD, Jun 1, 2005.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, my logic does not fail. The Great Commission is a command from God to baptize. We all understand that to mean with water. If there is ONE baptism, and we are commanded to baptize with water, ipso facto, that baptism must be water baptism. And there is only ONE Lord, and only ONE faith, and only ONE God and Father, and only ONE body (of Christ), and only ONE Spirit, and only ONE hope, the Lord Jesus Christ.

My logic is perfectly consistant with the scriptures. If, as you say, the ONE baptism, is Spirit baptism, then what is it we are commanded to do with new converts? Have you ever baptized anyone in the Spirit?

2. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

TCassidy,

1 Peter 3 should answer your question...

Water baptism is a figure (representative) of the "one baptism." So to answer your question...you are commanded to use a figure or representative of the "one baptism" when preforming the act on a new convert.

Scripture with Scripture my friend.

Max

3. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Good to talk to you men...headed to church now.
    Hope to hear from you soon.

Max [​IMG]

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, but my bible does not say that water baptism is a figure of spirit baptism.

My bible says, in 1 Peter 3:21, that baptism is a like figure of the saving of the house of Noah from the flood waters. And the LIKE figure of baptism, according to the verse, is right there in the verse, not spirit baptism, but "the resurrection of Jesus Christ." Just as Paul also taught in Colossians 2:12, in water baptism Paul says we are "Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead."

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Does that "one baptism" include the sprinkling of newborn children?

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What part of "Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only)" didn't you understand?

7. OldRegular

Does Scripture speak to Baptists only?

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Duh! You are posting in the "Baptist Only" section of the Baptist Board. That means there are only Baptists in here. The one thing all Baptists have in common is believers baptism. If you don't believe in believers baptism, you are not a Baptist and don't belong in this forum.

9. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Regeneration by its definition is "new life" and we have that "in Christ." Water Baptism is a picture of that old life being buried and the new man being born/given life. Therefore if it (water baptism) is the type or figure, then there must be a prototype or original or real or one true baptism.

===

Thanks for your explanation. You may be right. What follows I offer just as my current opinion:

If it agreed that WB symbolizes regeneration, it yet remains to be shown that regeneration=SB.

We may use 1 Cor 12:13 as an evidence that WB symbolises SB, but then, I wonder if we are not reaching our conclusion using a premise which is not clearly justified by that text.

12:13 does not say that WB symbolizes SB, does it?. We are assuming that, aren't we?
    ===

BTW "Spirit" is all over Ephesians 4.
    Paul starts out bring the "Spirit into the context.

Max [/QB][/QUOTE]

===

IMO in Eph 4:5 Paul uses three phrases:

Body-Spirit-hope

Lord-Faith-Baptism

God-Father-over all

Baptism is not connected here to Spirit, but to faith. It is connected to faith because in the NT WB was an occasion wherein faith was expressed and an affirmation of the application of the verities of the The Faith was made in re to the baptizand.

Bill

10. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

Well, I don't know. Do not "ultra dispensationalists" who are Baptists reject WB for today? I thought I was speaking with one of these in the last several pages of the Lordship thread, friend Ittutut, who , I understand, is a Baptist who does not believe in WB.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that was not the question. The question was
    I don't know of any baptists, regardless of their position on dispensations, who sprinkle babies. [​IMG]

12. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Good Morning,

TCassidy, I think we are just going to disagree on this issue. I am a Baptist, and believe whole-heartedly in the importance of water baptism...but all water baptism does is get you wet.

Col. 2 says a number of things that when interpreted your way don't add up...

For instance... I was not buried with Christ when i went in the water...I was buried with Christ when I got saved. I was not risen with Christ when I came out of the water...I was risen with Christ when I got saved. All this was done at the point that I was spiritually circumsized...which is the OPERATION of God. (Context)

By your own reasoning water baptism is the operation of man...not God. Here I would agree.

The problem I see is there is not a drop of water anywhere in the context of 1 Cor. 12, Col 2, or Romans 6.

I think it is an age old BAPTIST safeguard to run these verses through the water so as not to appear sympathetic with petacostal doctrine of Holy Spirit Baptism...which is entirely different and no doubt heresy.

Max

13. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Does that "one baptism" include the sprinkling of newborn children? </font>[/QUOTE]What in the world does baby sprinkling have to do with baptism?

14. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I don't know of any baptists, regardless of their position on dispensations, who sprinkle babies. [​IMG] [/qb]</font>[/QUOTE]===

I did not say there were ; I implied the issue of who is baptised may be irrevelent to some Baptists if they do not think that any should be baptised in this dispensation.

Understand, I am only going by the thread referenced in which IT., as I understand, is saying he is a Baptist and does not think any one today should be baptised because that was for another dispensation.

15. OldRegular

Does that "one baptism" include the sprinkling of newborn children? </font>[/QUOTE]What in the world does baby sprinkling have to do with baptism? </font>[/QUOTE]Ask someone who is not a Baptist.

16. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Does that "one baptism" include the sprinkling of newborn children? </font>[/QUOTE]What in the world does baby sprinkling have to do with baptism? </font>[/QUOTE]Ask someone who is not a Baptist. </font>[/QUOTE]They don't concern me...the Bible does!

17. OldRegular

Does that "one baptism" include the sprinkling of newborn children? </font>[/QUOTE]What in the world does baby sprinkling have to do with baptism? </font>[/QUOTE]Ask someone who is not a Baptist. </font>[/QUOTE]They don't concern me...the Bible does! </font>[/QUOTE]I suppose the point I was trying to make in a facetious way is that Ephasians 4:5 does not refer to water baptism.

18. OldRegular

A question:

Ephesians 4:5 states One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Now I was baptized in a Southern Baptist church. If I should choose to affiliate with a Primitive baptist church my understanding is that I would have to be baptized again. How does this square with the one baptism of Ephesians 4:5 if it is referring to water baptism?

19. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

perhaps Paul only knew of one Baptist church [​IMG]

20. OldRegular

===

perhaps Paul only knew of one Baptist church [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]You are telling me that passage was written before the Baptist Church split!