1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

+1 for Calvinism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jeep Dragon, Sep 6, 2006.

1. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Sir, I was not addressing you at all & further more, your use of Scripture out of its context shows that you are very off from the right. You have misjudged the spirit in which I wrote to this individual & I guess from the Scriptures I have quoted that you fill that Paul has the blood of everyone who reads Romans chapter 9 on his head. You should never class people just because of your bad experiences with others as being prideful. the fonts were big because of the Bible programme I used to copy & paste the Scriptures. Be careful that you do not judge others or even get tangled in the same mess you accuse others of doing.

#21 jne1611, Sep 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2006
  2. Jeep Dragon

Jeep Dragon Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just an thought of mine, but is it possible to dogmatically claim that anyone in the Bible went to heaven or hell unless the Bible specifically says such? Perhapse God only recorded the parts of the stories that conveyed the message that He wanted us to know.
    Throughout most of the Bible, we see good or bad works that people did. Few times, God tells us what is on their hearts. Their whole stories and conversions are not spelled out in the Bible. We take by faith that these people either went to heaven or hell by believing that their works must have described their heart for their whole life.

I have heard messages that claim that king Saul was not saved because the Lord departed from Saul at the end of his life:
    Yet, if we read further, we see why:
    We see that the reason why the LORD became Saul's enemy was because he did not obey the LORD.
    I have heard other sermons claim that Saul was saved because the Holy Spirit used him:
    The preachers of the searmons on this passage claimed that the Holy Spirit does not enter onto unsaved people.

All I can say is that these viewpoints sound good, but are all taken by faith. I assure all of you that we will all be surprised who we see in heaven whom we thought were in hell and vice versa.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

He's drawing soteriological conclusions from scripture. You're drawing conclusions about his character based on text formatting.

I know which makes a stronger case.

4. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Thanks! You said it!

5. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Quote:Jeep Dragon - Just an thought of mine, but is it possible to dogmatically claim that anyone in the Bible went to heaven or hell unless the Bible specifically says such?

I understand where you are coming from. But I believe that the context is clear that Pharaoh is an example of a vessel of wrath fitted to destruction in contrast to those afore prepared unto glory. Hope that lets you see why I said he went to hell.

#25 jne1611, Sep 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2006
  6. Billsey

Billsey New Member

No, I'm drawing conclusions according to scripture and how he appears to beat people over the head with Bible quotes instead of just talking to them. I mean, what's the point of replying like he does? Is it to win the person over, or is it “Hey! Look at me! I know the Bible!”?

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actually it is neither, - It is just "hey look at me!"

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

From the Wikipedia

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin, literally "argument against the person") involves replying to an argument or assertion by attacking the person presenting the argument or assertion rather than the argument itself. It is a logical fallacy.

9. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Hope of Jesus

The answer is that if they leave from us shows us their going they were never apart of us. We are to reach the world and hold those who believe even closer.

When I see that they are influenced by this man-made doctrine, I can see why he sees those scripture the way He sees them.

When you look at scripture through the eyes of God loving the world that He sent His Son, you see it in a total different perspective.

As long as I lift up Jesus for the hope for the world, not some man-made doctrine, who can come against me? I will not let their unbelief bring doubt in my savior for any thing.

Do not doubt but believe, Jesus tells me..

It is those who abide in Jesus that is predestined to be saved, we have not been predestined to abide. It those who endure to the end that shall be saved, If we disown Jesus He will disown us.
    The hope did not come to the world until Jesus was lifted up and when the Father and Son sent back the Holy Spirit.

The only one who was created for honor was Jesus, so all others must hold on to Him our only hope.

Which one of you is bold enough to say they were created in honor?

Who cares that God harden the heart of Pharaoh. Who God foreknew would never believe, for him to have no pleasure in the wickedness he was doing.

Lets give back the hope of Jesus to the world

10. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Right on. Seems they both have a problem judging people rather than Scripture!

11. jne1611

jne1611 Member

I never attacked you at all trying to bring you down & raise myself up. I just showed you a Scriptural interpretation & your buddy judged me & you have done the same thing. It seems more important to you both to assassinate character than look at Scripture. A classic evasion of the subject matter.

12. Jeep Dragon

Jeep Dragon Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's take an interesting look at the the sovereignty of God, the free-will of man, the inspiration of the Bible, and today's application of the Bible.
    If we hold to the position that all words of the Bible were written in heaven before the foundations of the earth (which I have no problem with) we could conclude that God had sovereignly caused man to perform many actions. We could also view God's foreknowledge alone and assume that He, knowing the choices of man, sovereignly worked around their choices even to write the Bible. Neither one of this views can be heretical if the order of existances of the words of God and the choices of man are not important.
    One thing we all realize is that God outwardly dealt differently with man during the writing of the Bible that He does now. Most of God's judgment and prophecy were immediate and supernatural. Now that the Bible has been cannonized, and we are living in the church age (the period of grace) both obvious miracles and immediate supernatural judgment have been brought down to a minimum.
    This is just speculation on my part, but could God's "hardening of Pharaoh's heart" not occur as often as it does today? Now that the Bible has been written, could not "not willing that any should perrish" be referring to individuals at this point? No more stories to write in the Bible, no more trying to establish the nation of Israel. Now, the main purpose is to get the gospel to everyone. Just an idea to throw around.

13. jne1611

jne1611 Member

I see what you are trying to say. Similar views have been brought out on the subject. I heard a man preach that the apostles were sovereignly saved, but everyone else fits into the "whosoever will" category. But I believe the text cited can be viewed in light of the fact that the "us ward" points to those who Peter addressed, namely "the elect". I believe this can be applied because in 2 Thess 2. It says that God sends a strong delusion to others that they should believe a lie, that they all might be damned. That tells me that there are some that God does not will to save, but wills to damn.

14. psalms109:31

Before the foundation of the world

Before the foundation of the world, God has decided to save believers.

We cannot not limit God's word to say world, is limited to save elect, or that He wants all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth, and limit that to the elect.

Jesus has opened the door to all men, and even the very elect of God will be cut out for unbelief, our hope is in Jesus.

As the scripture says' now.

Hebrews 3
    Warning Against Unbelief

7So, as the Holy Spirit says:
    "Today, if you hear his voice,
    8do not harden your hearts
    as you did in the rebellion,
    during the time of testing in the desert,
    9where your fathers tested and tried me
    and for forty years saw what I did.
    10That is why I was angry with that generation,
    and I said, 'Their hearts are always going astray,
    and they have not known my ways.'
    11So I declared on oath in my anger,
    'They shall never enter my rest.' "[Psalm 95:7-11 ]
    12See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. 14We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first. 15As has just been said:
    "Today, if you hear his voice,
    do not harden your hearts
    as you did in the rebellion."[Psalm 95:7,8 ]

16Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? 17And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert? 18And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed[Or disbelieved ]? 19So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

15. jne1611

jne1611 Member

We do not have to limit Gods word of salvation to the elect. God has done so. The Scripture you reference about being cut off is speaking about self righteous gentiles being proud & obviously empty of grace. This is not a description of God's elect. The reference in Heb. 3 is answered in ch. 4 showing that those who died in the wilderness heard the gospel, but it did not profit them because of unbelief. This is not a description of true believers. Christ said they will NEVER perish. It is clear from Rom. 9:6 - 8 That just because those that perish are mingled in with God's elect, only the children of promise will be saved. Isaac is a type of salvation being ALL of God. When Abraham had done all he could & failed, he was forced to the position that unless God moved he could not have Isaac. Gods grace removes all human ability & gives all glory to God. It was not till Jonah got in the belly of the well with no hope of getting out that he said "SALVATION IS OF THE LORD"
    .....For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
    Rom 9:7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
    Rom 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

16. Jeep Dragon

Jeep Dragon Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God knows everyone's hearts and will give them whatever faith they need to receive Him if they have such faith. Some people are more capable of believing what is not seen than others.
    What is the one factor that pleases God? Faith. Anything done without faith does not please God.

Now, we know that anything not of faith not only does not please God, but is sin. If someone can go through an entire lifetime without faith in God, God is not pleased, thus the get their just reward.

In Scripture, we see several places where God sovereignly reached out to certain men making faith into sight giving them divine revelation for salvation and sanctification. A good example of such in the Old Testament is Nebuchadnezzer.
    Nebuchadnezzer was the epitamy of pagan lordship. He most likely witnessed miracles performed by servants of his many gods, thus convincing such a ruler of the One true God would be an impossible task. God had special interest in Nebuchadnezzer; enough to allow him to capture His people and use Daniel's testamony along with His prevailing power to show Himself to Nebuchadnezzer. Untill Nebuchadnezzer's pride was put down, he temporarily acknowledged the God of Daniel as a superior god. Getting Nebuchadnezzer saved would be impossible if it weren't for
    Through special cases such as Nebuchadnezzer, who had enough faith to believe in God given the Divine revelations, God delights in the faith of men. If one reads through the Gospels, one would find that nothing pleased Jesus more than seeing people come to him having great faith ("If I could but touch the hem of his garment...," "Just speak the word that my son liveth.") Jesus delights in this faith.

In the New Testament, Paul was also a special case. He was a very zealous man in his convictions as he persecuted Christains. Perhapse God in His sovereign will and foreknowledge saw/raised Paul to be this way, that if he were to be shown who Jesus really is, could help spread this "New Gospel" to the world.

17. psalms109:31

scripture

The scripture i gave you, if you see them through the eyes of God loving the word that He sent His Son you will see them as I do, but as long as you see them through man made doctrine you will never see them no different.

It was the Jews that God chose from the beginning His elect that God cut for unbelief.

Your hope is Jesus not your election for the very elect will be cut out for unbelief.

So as a gentile you must continue in the faith God has given you though His word or you will also be cut out.

If God did not spare the natural branches He will not spare you either.

If the unbelieving Jews do not continue in thier unbelief He will graft them in again.

You see they were cut out for unbelief.

Abraham believed God and it was counted to him as righteousness. As his children our believers who enter into the new covenant, not the elect, because they were cut out for unbelief. We are not elected to believe, but believers are elected to salvation. We are given our belief and our faith through the word of God, it is our choice to accept them ae not.

Your hope is not election but in Jesus, continue in that belief.

18. Jeep Dragon

Jeep Dragon Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems as if people are talking over each other's head concerning the term "elect." Some refer to elect as God's chosen nation Israel while others interpret it as God's chosen people regenerate. The term "elect" does not always have the same specific definition everywhere in the Bible. It's context interprets its definition. The word simply means "chosen." "Chosen for what" is defined in the context.
    The term just means "chosen one." The context means "chosen for this special purpose. If God was just trying to reitterate that his is saved, it would be pointless in the context and could lead one to believe that his outward appearance of being "elect" had to be assured.

The terms just mean "chosen one." The context means "the chosen nation of Israel" or "God's people."

This one may be debated. I still think the context is referring to the nation of Israel because Jesus is talking to His disciples about the return of their Messiah. At this time the nation of Israel were the one's looking forward to their Messiah freeing them from oppression.

This one can be debated because of who Jesus was talking to, but I see it referring to the saved, because we believe that all saved people will be raptured rather than just the Jews. Besides, the Jews were not scattered among the four winds of the earth at this time. The term elect was also a different Greek word, but still meant "chosen."

Elect in this context obviously refers to believers. You can pretty much assume that the term "elect" before Christ's resurrection meant the nation of Israel, and afterwards meant the believers. Still, you must view it in context with an open mind not filtered by any closed philosophy.

19. jne1611

jne1611 Member

I'll agree that my hope is in Jesus, but without God's election, I would not be in Jesus. Eph. 1:4. There is no way you are elected because you believe considering the elect were chosen (elected) before the foundation of the world, before they believed.

20. psalms109:31

Belief

We have the truth.

Who was Paul speaking to in His letters, believers right.

So who has He before the foundation of the world decided to save. It is believers.

It is not in the chosen that we are saved, but belief in the only one who can save us.

The Jews was not cut out because they were not chosen, but as the scripture says for unbelief.

So as a gentile do not be arragont but afraid, if God did not spare the natural branches He will not Spare you either.

As the Jewish elect, if you do not continue in your unbelief He graft you in again.

We as gentiles are included with the believing Jews, when we heard the gospel of our salvation having believed.

Jesus taught, God loved the world that He sent His son, that whosoever believes in Him shall be saved, and God want all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth.

This world hope is Jesus not election for even the very elect will be cut out for unbelief.

Just come to Jesus, don't let these men give you excuses not to come, and Jesus will no wise cast you out.

Men from the beginning wanted to blame God. First it was the snake you created, it was the women you gave me, today it is because God didn't chose me, but you cannot because God as given all men, the world a hope through Jesus.

You can trust in Jesus to do what He says He will do.