1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Peter 2:9, Gentiles?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Sep 17, 2012.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood,
    a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you
    may declare the praises of him who called you out of
    darkness into his wonderful light.

Yesterday our pastor presented this passage as applying to us, the congregation.

My first thought was taken back to the preceding 8 verses in the chapter, not to mention Peter's intended audience at the beginning of the book (Jews).

While we are grafted into the vine along with the Jews, I don't recall the bible referring to Gentile believers as a "holy nation". What are your thoughts?

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    WD,
    In exodus 19 God spoke of His OT people as a holy nation...
    Now Peter does the same here.....Moses gives way to Jesus...the OT type gives way to the NT reality......This is the second exodus...In Jesus:

7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.

32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.

33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

2 A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.

3 It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.

24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:

3. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us. Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.