1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Sam 1:18

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by clark thompson, Sep 14, 2013.

1. clark thompson

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Samuel 1:18

King James Version (KJV)

18 And she said, Let thine handmaid find grace in thy sight. So the woman went her way, and did eat, and her countenance was no more sad.

1 Samuel 1:18

The Voice (VOICE)

Hannah: 18 May your servant be favored in your sight.

Then Hannah rose and went back to where she was staying. The sadness lifted from her, so she was able to eat.

The Voice (VOICE)
    The Voice Bible Copyright © 2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc. The Voice™ translation © 2012 Ecclesia Bible Society All rights reserved.

My thoughts.

We seek to find favor in God's eyes before men but, we should seek to please the men God has called unless us doing so does not please God.

2. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Eli was 'called'? The same guy who God had to kill his sons, because their father 'restrained them not'? I guess 'called' doesn't mean 'worthy', 'effective', or 'competent'.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Moses was called, and led Israel out of Egypt and through 40 years in the desert, receiving the Law directly from God, yet died without seeing the promised land because of his anger and disobedience. Aaron was called as the first high priest of Israel, but made a golden idol and his sons were destroyed for sinning before the altar. David was called and said to be "a man after God's own heart" yet still committed murder and adultery and failed his sons monumentally in providing a father's leadership in their lives. Jonah was called to preach repentance to Nineveh despite not wanting to do so, and was angry with God afterwards because the city heeded his ministry. Yes, Eli was called and raised up Samuel to be a godly man and prophet to Israel. All these men had their faults, all were nonetheless worthy, effective, and competent.

I guess your assessment leaves something to be desired.

#3 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2013
  4. clark thompson

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand Eli was called and he was shown respect because of it but respect was shown to the Lord first.