1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Timothy 4:8 and physical fitness

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Vasco, May 11, 2006.

1. Vasco

Vasco New Member

1Ti 4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

For bodily exercise profiteth little?? This is saying it does no good to keep the physycal is shape if one does not keep the spiritual in shape as well right?

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I hear it preached that way most often, but my wife questioned me on it one night, and I'm not so sure that is what it is talking about now, although that would certainly be a valid application. Bodily exercise, in context, could be referring to the things Paul was talking about (touch not, taste not, handle not). Abstaining from meats (fasting) is profitable in its use, but godliness does not consist of fasting. I don't know quite where I stand on it right now.

3. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Well...

Some uf us need all the little we can get! [​IMG]

Seriously, though, in NT times life was a lot tougher then it is today...

And, people are far less 'fit' then they used to be...

Consider this...

How many of us could go into a non-airconditioned sanctuary and *really* pray for revival for several hours on a late summer afternoon?

I am not talking about a 'now I lay be down to sleep prayer'...

I am talking about floor wet with tears drenched in sweat prayer... (See Romans 8:26)

The kind or prayer that lays hold of the horns of the altar in heaven and begs God's Mercy on a Neighborhood... (see 2 Chronicles 7:14)

Most of us can't...

And, as a result... Won't even consider it as an option...

Yes, it's hard to be Spiritually fit if you're not Physically fit enough to stay awake in the morning for your devotions...

I need to get serious...

Maybe we need to start a Forum for health Accountability?

SMM

4. gekko

gekko New Member

well - like it or not - we're doing physical excersise everyday.

half a sit-up getting out of bed - and half a sit-up getting into bed...

5. gekko

gekko New Member

double postage-ness

6. Pete

Pete New Member

Yer a fitness freak gekko [​IMG] :D

7. gekko

gekko New Member

hahaha. yes indeed i am. [​IMG]

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Vasco, a better translation would be, "bodily exercise profits a little...." So it does profit, but not that much.

As for health matters, we can only do so much, and then God takes care of it. For example, the "first commandment with promise" is to honor your parents, "that it may be well with thee, and thy days may be long upon the earth." So what is the key to long life? Honoring your parents, not jogging! Remember the jogging guru, Jim Fixx was his name I believe, who had a heart attack while jogging and died in his 50's, I believe. [​IMG]