1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

10 men and their dinner bill

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by matt wade, Jan 31, 2009.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

[something I came across that was interesting/funny]

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for dinner and the bill for all comes to $100.If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing like they do now with the present income tax structure.

The fifth would pay $1.

The sixth would pay $3.

The seventh would pay $7.

The eighth would pay $12.

The ninth would pay $18.

The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59 of the bill.

So that is what the ten men decide to do.

The ten men ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. “Since you all are such good customers I am going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20”. Dinner for the 10 men now costs just $80...

The group still wanted to pay the bill the same way that they paid their taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still eat for free. But what about the other six men -- the Paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everybody would get his “Fair Share”?

They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But they subtracted that from everybody’s share, then the fifth and sixth man would each end up being paid to eat their meal…So, the restaurant owner suggested it would be fair to reduce each mans bill roughly the same amount; and proceeded to work out the amounts each man would pay.

The fifth, like the first four now paid nothing (100% savings).

The sixth man now paid $2 instead of $3 (33% savings)

The seventh man now paid $5 instead of $7 (28% savings)

The eight man now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings)

The ninth man now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings)

The tenth man now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings)

Each of the six was better off then before. And the first four continued to eat for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings…

“I only got a dollar out of the $20,” declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man “but he got $10”…“Yeah, that’s right,” exclaimed the fifth man. “I only saved a dollar, too. Its unfair that he got ten times more than me!?”“That’s true”, shouted the seventh man. “Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!”“Wait a minute,” yelled the first four men in unison. “We didn’t get anything at all. The system exploit’s the poor!”The nine men surrounded the tenth man and beat him up…

The next night the Tenth man did not show up for dinner, so the Nine sat down and ate without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn’t have enough money between all of them for even half the bill!

And that Boys & Girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just might not show up anymore. In fact, they might start eating overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier…

2. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

You're saying that the wealthy will move overseas? I think it's more likely that the poor who don't have adequate medical care will move overseas rather than die. I suppose you'd think that would be an improvement, to get rid of those lazy poor people who are only a burden on you.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

You just don't get it do you!

Lets add this. You think that the govt should provide medical care to all. How about just letting everyone shop for their groceries for free (w/the govt picking up the cost) and since you will need transportation, each taxpayer should be given a free automobile with govt back insurance. Of course so we will be well informed, all household should have access to the INTERNET and cable TV at no charge.

4. billreber

billreber New Member

JustChristian said:

No, the poorest people could not AFFORD to move! Therefore, this analogy comes much closer to what would really happen. The richest person/people would relocate their assets (if not themselves) to an overseas location, thus saving their tax dollars. (BTW, this is another reason so many US companies now manufacture their items overseas, in addition to the lower wages they need to pay.)

Has any liberal ever considered the statement Jesus made "The poor you will always have with you" (Matthew 26:11a, NIV)? If you raise everybody's income, then the poor just make more money and are still the poor. (And if you don't believe that, answer me why the poorest American is still wealthier/richer than many, if not most, people in other countries!) If you redistribute wealth, then everybody becomes "the poor". I feel like this because so many people don't understand that: :BangHead:

Lower taxes will always result in a better, stronger economy. Higher debt will always result in a weaker economy. You cannot borrow your way to wealth, and neither can the government (at any level).

BTW, many studies have shown that conservatives and poorer people do more to help others, than do liberals in general. When more liberals give away more of their personal riches to help the poor and needy, then maybe I might start to listen to their plans to help the poor and needy!

Bill :godisgood:

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I choose to spend my tax money on medical care for the poor. You choose to spend it on an unjust war. The United States spends more on its military than all the rest of the world combined. Why should Christians support this madness?

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Those who correctly interpret the Bible know that when Jesus said:

"The poor you will always have with you"

He wasn't saying that we should not help the poor. He was making the point that He himself would not always be on Earth. A better passage for you to consider is this one.

Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
    Mat 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
    Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
    Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
    Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me.
    Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well since you seem to have so many facts why don't you produce the amount of money we give to the world in aid every year. feel free to add the money spent on Iraq since we gave aid to those Iraqi's that were being tortured, mamed, murdered and raped every day.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The poor will move to Cuba so they can get that wonderful medical care the fat man [Is it Michael Moore, the liar who put out Fahrenheit 9/11.] did a documentary on.

10. RustySword

RustySword Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The story probably illustrates "class envy," and I see the analogy to the rich man going elsewhere - employees in my own industry are being replaced by overseas employees because the companies pay less in taxes. There are other considerations, I'm sure (lower wages - but that is offset to a large degree by the cost and unreliability of the infrastructure), but I've read and heard that lower corporate taxes have a lot to do with it.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats where you have it wrong. It is no longer your money - the Govt has taken it. I have no problem if you want to take your money and spend it any way you want. I do give to charity - but I want to give it to an organization that I know will spend it in a responsible way. And the govt is not know for doing that.
    And one last thing there is a lot more than an "unjust war" that my taxes go for that are valid goverment expenses.

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bolded mine

Another leftists with reading comprehension problems!

13. billwald

billwald New Member

>No, the poorest people could not AFFORD to move!

In the US, only the poorest CAN afford to move. In Arizona, the winos spend winter in Phoenix and summers in Flagstaff. So says my Daughter who lives there. If I was poor I would move to SanFrancisco.

14. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

This little parable is spot on. We are creating such a hostile environment against industry, ingenuity, entreprenuership, that America will no longer be the envy of the world. In our lust and theft of our neighbors' posessions, we will soon have no more posessions to steal. And then everyone becomes poor, just like the great utopia the Soviet Union. If the Dems are successful in getting the vast majority of the citizens bumming off the gov't, it will be difficult to ever reverse the trend, and America as we know it will be toast. And the root of it all is the breaking of the two commandments - thou shalt not steal and thou shalt not covet.

15. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For companies that want to list on a stock exchange, higher corporate taxes and the cost of compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley provide some effective deterrents to doing business in the US.

16. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

JC, you also choose to spend your tax money to support abortion.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

So...anyone who disagrees with you wants to kill poor people now.

Pardon me, your immaturity is showing.

Grown ups can disagree without such antics. Learn to be one.

18. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You said it. The lazy ones are a burden on me! :laugh: I have no problem helping people that are going through a tough time, in fact I do help them. I have a big problem with lazy people that expect a hand out. If you can't be bothered to try and put in a honest days work, then you deserve to be poor. I'm not talking about people that are disabled, major health problems, etc.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless you are in a coma, everyone is able to do something, even its just making phone calls.

How often have you seen someone at an intersection with a sign saying "looking for work" How many of them would refuse a valid job offer. Just about every one of them. Some of theses beggers - at least in Syracuse - can make 2 -3 hundred dollars a day - TAX FREE!

20. billwald

billwald New Member

Sure is class envy on this list. For starters, all who are envious of those with a good union job.