1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 10 myths surrounding Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by robustheologian, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Off the top of my head, he made one with Able. He also made one with Hagar.

2. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that world means many things. I'm on the Reformed side, so I've had to correct that for years.

3. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause: This is one of my favorite verses when someone tells me the 'world' means every individual.

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

The OP was very well put together, and explained your opinion of Calvinism. I applaud your efforts. However, there is a problem with posting what you posted. Some/A few/Many Calvinists DO believe what you said they don't. SBM is obviously a bad example, but he believes a lot of that.

Once I read your OP, I thought about posting something similar for non-Cal myths. The problem is, some people actually believe them.

The problem with this entire argument is that everyone is somewhere in the middle, but both sides want to argue against the extremes. "Calvinists believe that you're not saved if you're not a Calvinists" or "Non-Cals hold to a works based Salvation".

IMO, Calvinism is incorrect. But, as long as it doesn't negatively impact your zeal for the Lord or your attempts at reaching the lost, it is not a big deal in my book. How God saves or why God saves is of secondary importance to getting people the Gospel.

What does anger me, though, is hearing both sides demonized so drastically. Being a non-Cal, I am sure I notice it more when a Calvinist does it, but I'm sure it's getting thrown right back from non-Cals. Don't tell me what I believe because of your misconceptions of non-Cals, and I won't attack your beliefs based on what SBM says. I actually stay out of the Cal/Arm debate for the most part, unless I am asking a question; I understand that my knowledge of Calvinism mostly comes from either a non-Cal source, or an extreme source.

Another issue coming from both sides is the sentence, "I used to believe like you did, until ...". This is degrading, demeaning, and is basically saying, "I'm smarter than you" or
    "I have a greater Biblical understanding than you".

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus answered him, I have spoken openly to the world; I ever taught in synagogues, and in the temple, where all the Jews come together; and in secret spake I nothing. Jn 18:20

I will no more speak much with you, for the prince of the world cometh: and he hath nothing in me; Jn 14:30
    Judas then, having received the band of soldiers, and officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons. Jn 18:3

I suggest to you that John always uses kosmos in reference to 'the arrangement', i.e., the religious establishment/system.

6. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I definitely respect your opinion. I've found what you said about a lot of people being in the middle to be true. I was just offering what is classical Reformed/Calvinist doctrine on soteriology. It's hard to dialogue on the differences between between Arminianism and Calvinism when the Calvinist camp is so divided. There's 5-pointers, 4-pointers, those hyper-Calvinists, and I've even come across a lot of 3-point Calvinists.

I would be interested in common myths about Arminians.

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...oh those ol' nasty hyper-Cals; don'tcha just hate em?

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First off....there is no 3 & 4 part Calvinists....either you believe the entire 5 points or you don't.

Next....what do you mean by Hyper Calvinists? Do you mean ....naa, better yet, why don't you define it in your understanding.

Thanks

9. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have pinpointed the problem to your own OP. It is not the non Cals who divide the Calvinist, your camp is all over the place on these issues. Most of the objections non- Cals have to Calvinism is the camp's own infighting. I have been told many times that Calvinist agree on 98% of the issues. Hey! News flash! You guys do not agree on the VERY INPORTANT issues stemming from Calvinism. I listed these in other threads...

(1) God hates the non elect

(2) TULIP is The Gospel

(3) No belief in TULIP = No Sheep

(4) One becomes a Calvinist the same way one becomes a Christian - Divine Enablement

You know what you guys need to do? You need to start disciplining your own camp. What I see is atta boys and high fives to people who post such rhetoric.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree! :thumbsup: I have been called a 1 pointer - good grief! Icon declares ALL Christians are Calvinist!

Yeah, I would like to know what hyper means as well, because I see Calvinist call other Calvinist Hyper when they are posting much of the same as the one they are labeling a Hyper.

11. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly right.

Countless theologians have noted that all 5 points stand or fall together. Remove 1 point and the whole thing falls apart

I'm a HYPO-Calvinist :D

But seriously, in jest, a HyperCalvinist is someone who holds all 5 points without any consideration for the opposing position or the scriptures which seem to support it. However, this issue of Hyper revolves almost exclusively around Predestination

Example - God predestined to wrath or salvation. Period. Not only does man have no ability, but also has no responsibility. Don't care what scriptures might indicate responsibility,ability, etc. For that matter, God chose and predestined every thought and action of every man

And if you're Hyper on that issue, you'll be Hyper on the remaining 4 points.

12. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Are you sure? Then why do so many Cals refer to themselves as "5-Point Calvinists?" If you must believe all five or none at all, then there is no rationale behind tagging your belief system with a qualifying number.

I could point to a couple people on this forum who are, for lack of a better term, "Hyper-Calvinists." One in particular goes to great lengths to stress eternal justification, stating that people are born saved or born lost and they never can escape those classifications. :BangHead: He also believes God originated sin in order to glorify Himself. That's pretty "hyper-" to me.

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote Tom Butler (I think):

"Everyone to the right of me is hyper".

14. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason is that most people are completely ignorant of church history, the development of doctrine, and doctrinal variances through all of church history.

Such ignorant people think there are only 4 doctrinal camps - Roman Catholic, Calvinist, Arminian, and Heretic.

The self-labeling of Calvinist or Arminian usually hangs on 1 of 2 points in the raging debate - either Predestination or Eternal Security.

Those who label themselves as 4-point do so on the grounds of Predestination. Their only disagreement is on the issue of Limited Atonement

A supposed 3-pointer labels himself as such on the grounds of Eternal Security. He finds comfort in the doctrine that he cannot lose his salvation.his disagreements are concerning Predestination and Limited Atonement

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think it is sad, AND AGAINST THE ADMONITION OF SCRIPTURE, to label oneself or another with anything other than Christian.

Was John Calvin crucified for you? Was Jacob Arminius crucified for you?

If these two men are in heaven I would suggest they are APALLED at their names being used as labels which divide the flock.

I keep on hearing from Calvinist on here that Calvinism was not created by John Calvin. OK, Then DROP the label!!!!!!!!! Let John Calvin rest in peace!!!

#55 steaver, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
  16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree :thumbs:

17. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. I think Calvinists should drop the label since John Calvinists himself wouldn't be classified as a Calvinist. But I understand that the label is recognizable and so will probably stick.

2. A hyper-Calvinist is one who is a supralapsarian and believes on active reprobation.

3. The whole doctrine does stand and fall on all five points. However...

4. The whole point system is insufficient. A theology should be more systematic than 5 counter points that only address soteriology. Which is why we have Calvinists with views such as "a God that hates all except the elect" because there is not a full system of doctrine that addresses issues such as God's character.

5. I think it is foolish to confine the gospel to 5 points.

18. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Tim. 2:10, Acts 13:48, and Rom. 16:7 defeats that argument about being born saved.

19. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve, No reasonable Calvinist follows Calvin. It's just shorthand for what we believe. we don't follow him. We follow Christ.

Also, when you speak of dividing the sheep, do you want to end the division by joining me??? I didn't think so. You want an end to division by me capitulating to your view, not the other way around.

I hate division as much as anyone, but doctrine divides, and it should at some level; however, that bar should be set very low.

Lets continue rational, calm dialog on these matters, and at least we will understand each other better.

20. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen the number of total replies in this thread but I am working my way through them one by one. I agree with Brian 100%. I can almost guess which rabid anti-Calvinists will chime in. Let me see if I am right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.