1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 10 of my favorite warning Scriptures to Christians vs. OSAS

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by evangelist-7, Jun 22, 2013.

1. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Well, at least you're alive and can play the banjo.
    But, beyond that, my friend, I'd say you're in pretty sad shape!
    Does it take much in the way of thinking to strum? ... Hmmmm.

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, the cults follow the very same method of prooftexting out of context for all their wonderful truths also. Your list is no better or different than theirs as a text taken out of context is nothing but a pretext without truth.

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Ha ha. You are a funny Guy.

Eternal security. What a great God and savior we have!

from the scriptures...

He who has the son, has the life, and can NOTcome into judjment, for he has passed from death unto life. PRAISE GOD!

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Let's see how your thinking is. If Paul taught your doctrine in Romans 4-8 then he would NOT anticipate this objection to his doctrine of justification by grace:

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? - Rom. 6:1

Nobody would anticipate such an objection if he taught your doctrine as your doctrine flaty denies justification by faith without works.

However, Paul had repeated stated that justification was by faith without works (Rom. 3:27-28; 4:5-6) and that where sin abouded grace did much more abound (Rom. 5:20).

However, if Paul taught our doctrine of justification by faith without works then that would be the natural objection anticipated.

Also, His answer in Romans 6-8 is the same response we would give. We would claim that justification by faith without works is accompanied by regeneration and both are visibly proclaimed in the ordinance of baptism together. Our justification is expressed in his death to sin signified by the buried body and regeneration is signified by the power of the Spirit in his resurrection to new life. They are distinct but inseparable. We would go on to say that those who have experienced the resurrection life should live like Christ but because we also have a fallen nature it requires us to mortify the deeds of the flesh by faith in yeilding to the power of the indwelling Spirit.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Congrats, you are an expert at taking verses out of context.

6. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Hey, I guess this needs repeating for da Baptists ...

The NT clearly reveals in MANY passages ...
    to those who have NOT been brainwashed from der days in der comfy little cradles ...

The warnings/threats are to EVERYONE on planet earth ...
    If you are a habitual unrepentant sinner, you cannot have eternal life.
    If you do not attain holiness (basic sinlessness), you cannot have eternal life.

If you repent of your sin, you are again cleansed of sin.
    Habitual sinners are not classified as repentant sinners, so they cannot have eternal life.

BACs have the Holy Spirit, Who is able to lead them into overcoming their sins.
    However, the BACs must co-operate with Him in their sanctification-unto-holiness process.

If you wish Scriptural evidence of the above ...
    please be advised that I only provide these with great glee in multiples of 10.
    So, please indicate clearly how many you wish to see: 10, 20, 30, 40, etc.
    The first 10 are in the OP, so if you ask for 10, you will actually have 20, and so on.
    Or, to simplify matters for you, why not just request all 80 at once?
    However, I do wish to make it clear that all of these warning passages do not come cheaper by the dozen.

Baptist brothers, forget all of your preconceived biases and false doctrines ...
    take your blinders off and start seeing much-needed spiritual truth in several different areas.

#46 evangelist-7, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
  7. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Evangel, this is a "debate" forum. It seems you do not want a debate. You are not engaging. Debate involves a back and forth of the points of view, positions are challenged and defended, questions are asked and the answers bring to light true biblical application.

If a doctrine cannot hold up to questioning and scrutiny then I would abandon it. If what you have come to believe about the scriptures is sound doctrine then you should be able to give good answers under cross examination of the evidence and application to real life scenarios.

All you seem to be doing here is preaching and pulpit pounding. If you have truly studied these doctrines out then you would have no problem answering when challenged. IMHO, it seems that it is you who has installed blinders and biases. I would like to see you do some debating, if your doctrine is correct then debating it will make it stronger, or, if it is incorrect it will be weakened. Could it be that the latter is what you are afraid of so you choose not to debate it????

Just saying what I am observing here, don't mean to sound harsh :love2:

8. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Okay, Steaver, you're a good guy ... so I'll ask that you include this in our debate:

The NT is filled with proof that the exact opposite of OSAS is true!

So, another example … MANY verses talk about the HOPE Christians have of obtaining salvation.
    Rom 5:1-5,8:23-25--Gal 5:5--Titus 1:2,3:7--Col 1:5,1:23--Heb 3:6,10:23--1 Peter 1:13,1:21,3:15--etc.
    There are dozens of them ... you may take them as hints, warnings, concerns, threats ... you choose.

You do realize that, in our debate, I'm taking the side of Scripture.
    You can take the side of centuries-old false doctrine.
    Deal?

#48 evangelist-7, Jun 23, 2013
  9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a convincing list - no question about it.

But you are missing the "forgiveness revoked" examples of Ezek 18, Matt 18, and the "fear for you stand only by your faith" Romans 11 - and the "Fallen from Grace - separated from Christ" example of Gal 5:4.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pure straw man response.

The not-so-subtle "detail" you are ignoring is that the Bible statements that flatly refute OSAS do not also claim that God does not know the future, does not know who will remain and persevere and who will not.

Even Peter admits that it is via the foreknowledge of God that these statements are made.

1 Peter 1
    2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

1 Peter 1
    who are chosen 2according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.

The "Common" element in both models is that there are some who will persevere firm unto the end - just ask John MacArthur. He is well aware of this even though he is a 5 point Calvinist.

in Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Arminian can know that he IS SAVED today - with full assurance - but cannot know that 10 years from today he will still choose to "persevere firm unto the end".

By contrast - the 5 point Calvinist cannot even know that! Because he will insist in the future when it is shown that he fails to persevere 10 years from today - that his assurance claimed today - was totally false as well!!

in Christ,

Bob

12. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Yes, 20 years ago, my helper for one week was a gloriously-saved Bulgarian young man in his early 20's.
    He was 100% certain of his salvation, etc.
    But, I believe, just out of pure logic and reasoning (not Scripture), I played the devil's advocate ...
    "You can't possibly know whether something or someone will cause you to abandon your faith."

Yes, all that we can safely surmise from Scripture is ...
    it is possible for a BAC to reject God's free gift of grace-faith-salvation.
    And, if indeed he remains in this state @ his time of death, he will be lost.

Actually, some of the passages don't even give room for repentance,
    but we must be diligent to mix and match, combine passages, etc.
    All passages do not include all facets of a related truth, or else our Bibles would be 10 times larger!

So, walk carefully and carry a BIG stick ... to ward off Satan, temptations, the deceitfulness of sin, and many etc.
    That's what all of the warnings are there for ... just another proof of God's tremendous love for His precious BACs!

#52 evangelist-7, Jun 23, 2013
  13. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

'Gloriously saved'?

Have Scripture for that? Is this above any other 'salvation'?

Or does it mean since he agrees with you and your theology that his salvation was then 'glorious'?

14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Your scriptures have been shown to be jerked out of context. You have no reasonable responses. You are simply advertising your own ignorance.

15. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok, let's take them one by one;

Romans5:1 "Therefore.....

Paul has previously in chapters 3 and 4 established God's method of justifying sinners, and has provided an Old Testament example of that method in Abraham. Paul says "therefore" which means he is about to demonstrate that not only are there benefits derived from justification at the moment of salvation, but there are blessings that accompany justification throughout the believer's life.

.....being justified by faith,

Here is Paul's conclusion, Christian's are "justified by faith". You will take note that Paul adds nothing to faith, zero, nada for our justification, it is only by faith, no works in whatever form you may want to view works. This is why the doctrine called "Faith Alone" is a perfect expression of the truths put forth throughout the Word of God. This very truth alone should cause you to reconsider any views you may be erroneously holding which would add any kind of human efforts to faith for justification before God. To do otherwise would be to labor against God which will be fruitless and pile up a multitude of wood, hay and stubble to be burned at the JSOC.

.....we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:"

So far, in just this first verse, we have established that justification before God is by faith through our Lord Jesus Christ. We are at peace with God, ONLY through faith. Let's continue...

Romans5:2 "By whom also we have access by faith.....

Again, we see faith standing alone, it is by faith, not by any human efforts.

.....into this grace wherein we stand,

Where do we stand? It is in Grace. How do we stand there? It is by faith. Do we see any works mentioned? No we do not. By Jesus Christ we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand. Paul also notes this in Romans 11:20, where he states that we stand fast ONLY through faith (RSV)

.....and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Praise God!!!!!! Yes!! I rejoice in HOPE of the glory of God!! Why? Here is where some Christians may become confused. Of the 141 times this word occurs in the KJV, in all of it's forms, only 21 times does it occur as a verb (excluding the Psalms). Hope is not vague or un-defined, it is concrete. The glory of God, of which we fall short, is the perfect standard of Christ's righteousness in which we stand by faith. We can rejoice in the fact that whatever our short comings are today, one of the benefits of having been freely justified in Christ is the HOPE that one day we shall be like Him (Ro8:29; 1Jn3:2-3)

Romans5:3-5 "And not only [so], but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed;

Having already been justified by faith we have HOPE that cannot be humiliated. The HOPE we have is in the glory of God and even though it is tested through tribulation, it will be proved genuine.....

......because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

It is the Holy Spirit who pours into the believer's heart a sense of God's love for Him. Salvation is ALL of God! Praise Him and do not boast anything in yourselves.

So we see that when we make the effort to study this passage of scripture thoroughly, and use proper hermeneutics, allowing scripture to interpret scripture, we can have confidence in what we teach others. We do not have an "I hope so" faith, that would be quite frankly pathetic. We have a "know so hope", and this is why we give God the glory and have no confidence in the flesh.

Ok, it is your turn Evangel. Show me where I have misrepresented this passage of scripture and give your exposition on why this HOPE means a "hope I get saved" faith.

16. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

I'm sorry, but that is extremely easily done.

God's free gift of grace-faith-justification-salvation, etc, etc
    is applied to the believer @ the time of salvation.
    However, @ any time, the BAC can choose to reject it and walk away!

I suppose that's the reason there are dozens of Scriptures
    where Paul talks about "hope" of this and "hope" of that.
    And he says that he is struggling to work out his salvation, and many etcs.

#56 evangelist-7, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2013
  17. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It sounds to me like you believe more in the Catholic idea of infused righteousness than the Biblical doctrine of imputed righteousness.

Tell, me, if salvation is something you believe can be lost, how do we keep our salvation? And could you please explain how performing these acts to keep our salvation does not amount to earning our salvation?

18. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not going to bang my head against the wall with you, but I can tell you that if you go to monergism.com and type "assurance" into the search browser, you'll see many, many sermons and articles that explain why you're full of it.

19. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Aaaah, you mean like the articles against cessationism are full of it?
    No thanks! ... Those folks are spiritual morons.
    Cessationism was from the very pits of hell, and still is!

Now, re: assurance, why don't you explain why the many dozens of passages against OSAS?

20. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

The Lord has provided a means for staying under the blood covering,
    which simply is confessing your sins to God and repenting of them.

2 Cor 7:10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation

1 John 1:
    8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins
    and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

The Holy Spirit (Helper, Advocate, etc.) was given to us for a specific purpose,
    which is to guide us through the sanctification process.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Do you consider co-operating with the Holy Spirit in being sanctified as works?