1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

100% or 95-98%?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by FrankBetz, Apr 24, 2005.

1. loving2daysyouth

loving2daysyouth New Member

This acceptance of facts is the same humanistic thought process that is destroying modern day families, public school's education, and the Word of God. Your "truth" has no grounds. Just a secular humanist's point of view.

You continue to believe what you will and I the same. But in the meantime, when you realize that the book (little "b") is being changing on a daily basis and you have no more authority to preach/teach from, don't go crying.

As for me, I will stay true to the Word of God, the one that teaches a gender non-neutral view, one that stays true to the texts used by the early church, one that believes in the blood of Christ, one that has been used so many times to see boys, girls, men and women come to know Christ as their Savior!

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

The TR didn't exist as a defined text type until 1516 and the term did not exist until it appeared on the title page of the Elzevir's edition of 1633 (textum ab omnibus receptum).

The Waldensians used the Old Latin text, not the TR. Those would include manuscripts a, a2, ar, aur, b, beta, c, comp, d, dem, div, e, f, ff, ff1, ff2, etc., etc.

It was the Byzantine textform, not the TR, that was used by the Greek speaking churches back as far as we have evidence. That fact is witnessed to by the lectionaries, which are 100% Byzantine.
    No, but it is ignorant to use lies and myths to try to defend a book of Truth. If you can't defend the book without using lies and myths, just step out of the discussion because you make it hard for the rest of us. We don't like to have such lies and myths thrown in our faces and be told that is the kind of "evidence" we use.

3. loving2daysyouth

I think if you turned around, you'd realize, you're awfully lonely. No one would side with that comment.

I am not a proponent to lies, but to historical accuracy as presented in many documents/books. You believe one source, a humanist museum. I trust that the Book that I preach/teach out of is, in fact, inspired and preserved as God promised. You can't fight that!

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is lies, myths and other such untruths that is destroying all that is good and Godly in the world. And when Christians do it they are using the devil's tools. Shame on them!
    I will continue to believe the truth and you will continue to repeat lies and myth. So be it.

Jesus said He was "the Truth" in John 14:6. If you have little or no regard for the truth I can only surmise you have little or no regard for the Lord Jesus Christ.
    So, you are claiming that my KJV, which I teach and preach from, has no authority? Why do you hate the KJV?
    And what bible is it that teaches you to hate the truth and hate the KJV?

5. loving2daysyouth

What are you talking about, you've called me a KJVO guy, now you're saying I hate the KJV. Wow, such contradiction.

And, until you can prove my theories a lie/myth, your attacks only make you to be the ignorant one.

And if you believe that humanism has no effect on education etc. you've got your head in the sand. History is being re-written as we speak!

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, defending the grand old book, the KJV, does make me a little lonely now and then, but I would rather defend that grand old book of truth using truth than to spread lies and myth.
    Can you show me one historic cite that says Aleph was found in a trash can? Just one? Not some ignorant Ruckmanite with an IQ of 12 but an actual historic cite. Just one will do.
    And what book is that? You have stated that my KJV has no authority so I assume you use one of the modern versions. Which one?

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Tischendorf is the source.

In 1844, he found pages of a Septuaguint in a basket at the monastery.

"In visiting the library of the monastery, in the month of May, 1844, I perceived in the middle of the great hall a large and wide basket full of old parchments; and the librarian, who was a man of information, told me that two heaps of papers like these, mouldered by time, had been already committed to the flames. What was my surprise to find amid this heap of papers a considerable number of sheets of a copy of the Old Testament in Greek, which seemed to me to be one of the most ancient that I had ever seen. The authorities of the convent allowed me to possess myself of a third of these parchments, or about forty-three sheets, all the more readily as they were destined for the fire. But I could not get them to yield up possession of the remainder. The too lively satisfaction which I had displayed had aroused their suspicions as to the value of this manuscript. I transcribed a page of the text of Isaiah and Jeremiah, and enjoined on the monks to take religious care of all such remains which might fall in their way."

The British Museum's account is of his 1859 return to the monastery, when he found not only the documents he found earlier but also the New Testament.

"I unrolled the cover, and discovered, to my great surprise, not only those very fragments which, fifteen years before, I had taken out of the basket, but also other parts of the Old Testament, the New Testament complete, and, in addition, the Epistle of Barnabas and a part of the Pastor of Hermas."

THE DISCOVERY OF THE SINAITIC MANUSCRIPT

8. icthus

icthus New Member

Can someone please tell me what is going on here? This exchange between Cassidy and loving2daysyouth is getting very ugly. I would like some clarification as to what this whole dispute is about.

BTW Cassidy, I was mistaken is the discovery of the Codex Sin. As this was not discovered by Tischendorf until a later visit, some 10 years later.

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said my KJV has no authority. That was your statement not mine. If you can't make up your mind what you believe that is your problem not mine.
    You have not offered any historic support for your myth that Aleph was found in a trash can. I have given you the quote from the man who found it telling where he found it. That quote remains uncontravened.
    Why do you keep changing the subject? Can't you support your myth with truth? Do you have to keep trying to deflect the discussion away from your error? What are you trying to hide?

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know. That is what I am trying to tell loving2daysyouth but for some reason he/she is more willing to believe a lie than the truth. :(

11. icthus

icthus New Member

loving2daysyouth

Cassidy is right here. The Codex Sin. was not the leaves that were found ready to be burned my the monks. This Mss was discovered by Tischendorf during a later visit, where a monk brought out the Codex from a safe place which was wrapped in a red cloth. There is no point in arguing here with Cassidy on something that he is right on.

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can tell you from experience that arguing with Doc is a challenge when the facts are in legitimate dispute... it is an act of insanity when they are not.

13. loving2daysyouth

I feel sorry for his church, if he, in fact, is a Pastor in CA!

14. russell55

russell55 New Member

Let's see....TCassidy pointed out to you that your facts were wrong, and now you feel sorry for his church?

I always thought pastors were supposed to value the truth. No?

15. loving2daysyouth

Again, this is the last time that I will post a reply to ignorance.

TC proved nothing. It is a he said, she said discussion with no proof. I would definitely trust those men who have studied this out and have an appreciation for the Word of God over a secular museum who has no interested but to preserve an artifact!

Just as I would rather have a Christian involved in Bible translation over someone who is unsaved. Your final product is only as good as it's source!

And yes, I would pity a church who's leader "knows it all." His methods of discussion are poor and probably so is other areas of ministry.

16. loving2daysyouth

Oh, by the way, I have been using other issues not to change a subject and to duck and run, but to prove a point. I have given you at least two reference points to go back and to do the research yourself. I could give you more if you so desire, however, my guess is your mind is made up.

Therefore, I choose to disagree with your secular, humanistic source of Bible knowledge and choose to agree with those men who have studied this out for decades.

17. russell55

russell55 New Member

Hardly. Tischendorf's own words that disprove what you were saying were posted as proof.

So, because he knows more than you do on this issue, he's a "know-it-all"?

Tischendorf's own words are a secular, humanistic source of Bible knowledge?

18. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

loving2daysyouth said, on whether or not Codex Sinaiticus was found in a wastebasket:

Second of all, you are accepting a secular view from a museum over a study of Textual history.

This isn't rocket science, is it? It's a question of the facts of history. It's no more "secular" to claim it was not found in a wastebasket than to say it was. It either was, or it wasn't.

The man who found the codex says he got it from a monk who was obviously trying to protect it. I can believe him, or you. I know which one you would prefer, but so far you haven't shown yourself to be as credible as a direct witness.

This acceptance of facts is the same humanistic thought process

So what's the "Christian" thought process? Believing fantasies?

19. loving2daysyouth

Correct. But it is two different sources. The one's that I refer you to are from a Christian historian's point of view which would quote Tischendorf totally different than that of a secular museum.

There are no fantasies, I believe, as fact, the proof that is found in the books which I listed.

You cannot call a documented source a myth. You yourself then are promoting lies/myths, not I. Read the books for yourself!

A know-it-all only attacks others as liars or soothsayers, instead of debating the issue. Why you can't discuss the subject without dragging your opponent through the mud is both unBiblical and unethical. I've done my best to attack the problem, not the person.

Again, follow the logic. Even if what you say is true, some guy was protecting "originals" that were left over. Why were they there? Because they were not used! We only possess copies of the TR, because it was used and worn out!

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! And the closest thing to a conservative, evangelical, fundamental, Bible believing translation committee ever assembled would have to be Lockman's... who created the NASB.

They were required to sign a statement of faith before working on the translation that affirmed among other things that salvation is by faith in Jesus Christ alone and that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible Word of God.

You and your beliefs line up much closer to these men than those of the Anglo-catholics who created the KJV.

... said the mouse to the elephant.

"Methods of discussion" are less of an indictment than a failure to grasp the facts. Doc has proven you wrong on several occasions. Rather than taking an honest route such as admitting you are wrong or countering his opinion with a factual rebuttal, you are attempting to evade by complaining about his "methods".

"know it all"? I don't think he has made that claim... but what is clearly apparent throughout this discussion is that he bases opinions on the facts while you profess your "know it all" opinion in spite of the facts.

I have disagreed with Doc and yes it isn't fun to be on the end of some of his barbs... but integrity demands that one either counter with a viable alternative or admit defeat and bow out gracefully. It is wholly inconsistent with Christian character to resort to cowardly and dishonest tactics rather than simply admitting that you can't give an answer with merit.