1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by Salty, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last fall I was interim pastor in a church for about 6 weeks. I was paid well over the $600 threshold.

I requested a 1099 but all I received was a hand written note with the total amount paid me.

Would this be sufficient for the IRS should I ever be audited?
    Also, I reside in NY, but the church was in PA. Would I have any tax libality to PA?

Salty

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I don't think so. I'm not up on non-profit tax regulations but I'd say they owe you a 1099. It's possible that they don't want to or have otherwise decided not to file a 1099 with the IRS on your account. Presuming they are required to file, I could only speculate on why they wouldn't file a 1099.

I don't think so, but each state has different rules regarding non-residency income. Better check into it.

Salty[/QUOTE]

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

They should give you a 1099 or a W2. Both would suffice. They are the ones in violation of the law, not you. Go ahead and report you income on a schedule C, deduct your legitimate expenses related to the temporary service, and let the IRS deal with the church if the IRS chooses to do so.

Most likely you will have to file a PA tax return.

4. mandym

mandym New Member

They are required by law to issue a 1099 or 1-2 by Jan 31. Be sure and claim your pay and give the correct source. You will be covered.

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

If they didn't withhold any moneys you might could also consider reporting this income as an "honorarium". The IRS has a form for this (and I agree the church should have sent you some form), but since they didn't, you should report the income somehow and this might be an option.