1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

16 year old Iraqi-American journalism student

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I dont know how reliable this web site is because I havent seen this story anywhere else. I dont know if this has been discussed here or not because I dont spend every waking hour on this board. But remember the 16 year old Iraqi-American student and his adventure in Iraq for a school assignmnet for a journalism class? Read this!

http://www.homelandsecurityus.com/site/modules/news/article.php?storyid=38

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It will be interesting to see if any of the info in this link is verified by a news source, such as CNN, Fox, AP, etc.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found some info on CNN:

BAGHDAD TEEN TOURIST MET WITH HEZBOLLAH IN BEIRUT: The Florida teen who sneaked off to Iraq over winter break also finagled a sitdown in Lebanon with a big shot from Hezbollah, one of the Mideast's top terrorist organizations. "I had to travel through alleyways and I finally walked - this was in the southern Shiite section of Beirut, the poorest section. So walking through alleyways, going up crooked staircases with bullet holes in the walls. And there was no sign saying, this is the Hezbollah office, of course not," Farris Hassan tells MSNBC's Rita Cosby in an interview airing tonight. A sheepish Farris, 16, also tells Cosby he's been racked with guilt about the worry he caused his parents, and he worries about "copycats." "I will feel so guilty if some copycats go to Iraq and cause the military all kinds of trouble. And God forbid one of them gets their head cut off," he said.

- www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/09/sr.mon/index.html

Hassan's father, Redha Hassan, a medical doctor, told CNN that he had helped his son get a visa into Iraq from Beirut. The elder Hassan said he was leaving Iraq himself when the teen called, unable to get into the country from Kuwait. He told him to go to Lebanon and said he spoke with him almost daily. (Route)

When asked why he helped, Hassan said his son had come so far by the time he called that he couldn't see not helping him.

Redha Hassan and Atiya, who lives in Tampa, are divorced. Farris spends most of his time in Fort Lauderdale, where his father lives.

- www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/02/teen.iraq/index.html