1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1John 4:2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Nov 12, 2007.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

Would you extend the meaning of this passage -- "2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:" 1John 4:2 -- to mean that whatsoever spirit confesses that "He [that] shall save His people is come in the flesh is of God?"

IOW, Jesus was so named because "He shall save His people" (Israel), Mt 1:21. Now many denominations have given up on Christ saving "His people." They believe "replacement theology" or amil/postmil -- they see no future for Jesus people.

What think you?

skypair

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

That kind of a reading is too much of a stretch. Why not limit it to heresies like Docetism and Arianism and so on.

3. SeekingHisTruth

SeekingHisTruth New Member

To steal a line from Yoda, "Must trouble these doctrines of men have caused." :laugh:

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

OK, just checking.

You know, the parameters John gives in 1John 4 look pretty "loose" to me. 1) Jesus Christ is come in the flesh (4:1) and 2) "hear us" (4:6). This is how we are to discern false teachers?

skypair

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Christ will save His people. However His people are not just Jews, His people are all of those the Father has given to Him to save (Jn 17:2,24). So I would not agree that Matthew 1:21 is talking about the future of Israel. Are there passages that talk about Israel's future? Certainly. Paul is clear, for example, in Romans 11:11-32 that Israel has a future. God has not thrown away the Jewish people, He has not forgotten the promises He made to them. So I certainly do not hold to replacement theology and, since I am firmly pre-millennial, I am not a/post-millennial.

As for 1John 4:2, I don't understand how you are applying this to the Israel issue. John is responding to an error that was a problem in his day (a form of gnosticism). Anyone who denies that Jesus came, in a real body, is not a Christian teacher.