1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 Cor. 5:11 and 1Cor. 5:5

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by eagleswings0408, Sep 11, 2003.

1. eagleswings0408

eagleswings0408 New Member

What are your feelings on these verses??

"But now I have written unto you not to keep company, with any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat."

AND

"To deliver such a man unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."

2. Michael

Michael New Member

Uh, that's a pretty deep verse...I think that all guilty of at least one of those things... commentators often disagree on the interpretation of this verse in fact some"feel it describes the act of excommunication from the local church. Others feel that the power to deliver to Satan was a special power granted to apostles but no longer in existence today." Isn't Satan that's wants us to be debating things and being devisive among ourselves? In reality...the thing that destroys churches are the people that Satan manipulates to debate.
    This is probably not scripture, but my very Godly grandmother use to say, "keep your own back door steps clean..." hee hee rather funny but meaningful sentence.
    Michael

3. eagleswings0408

I'm rather confused. :confused: The scripture I am talking about has nothing to do with debating or devisiveness. I just asked what do you think it means.

Really my question is, "How do you feel about it?" Because in Psalms 119:89, it says, "For ever, O Lord, Thy word is settled in Heaven." This means that the Bible can only be interpreted one way. It never changes. It only has one meaning and that is God's meaning. I do believe that scripture is open for discussion, but to be discussed with "kindness, humbleness of mind, and meekness."

Question:
    Where did you find that commentary on Satan? I have never heard that before and I would like to read it.

4. Michael

Michael New Member

The commentary that our pastor strongly recommended..."believers commentary.. By william Mcdonald..
    Michael

5. eagleswings0408

Alright, i'll try to read it! So what do you believe? The excommunication or the thing about Satan?! :rolleyes:

6. Michael

Michael New Member

I think we need to let our pastor guide us in these areas... [​IMG]

7. eagleswings0408

Thank you. I know; he just left our house a little while ago. We are in agreement with our pastor. Because your opinion is important to me, I was curious how you felt on the matter regarding the scripture. I think it is important as friends to discuss God's word and maybe even agree to disagree. Well, I need to sign off now to read that commentary. Thank you for letting me know about the commentary. Night! [​IMG]

8. Michael

Michael New Member

good night... I'll talk to you sunday...

9. eagleswings0408

Does anyone else have anything to say about this matter? :confused: [​IMG]

10. Dallasdid

Dallasdid New Member

i dont know that is tough but never heard of apostles handing people over to satan.

11. krmom

krmom New Member

:confused: Well if you recall Job was basically handed over to Satan. God gave Satan permission to do what he wanted to Job except kill him in order to prove Job's faith. I realize this situation is different because the church is giving over the un-repentive brother to Satan. It's is believed it means to cut the brother off and let Satan has his way with the brother. Always remember though that Satan can't touch the brother without God's Okay. It seems in this situation that Paul is saying God is giving his okay. Again this is only addressed in this situation but according to the Word of God it was an issue in the church and was to be dealt with. I have heard people quote different commentaries stating that this type of severe discipline no longer applies. I say if God doesn't say it will go away than it doesn't. The Word of God on occasion has said things will cease such as tongues and prophesy, however I can't find anywhere in the Word that this will not apply throughout the church age. It kind of reminds me of a statement put out by the Episcopal Church when describing homosexuality. They stated "God is doing new things in the church". What they are saying is God changes with the times. :confused: I don't think so.