1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 peter 3:9

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Rich_UK, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Ian Major

Ian Major New Member

Ray Berrian said
    Matthew 13:3-9 reminds us that--we as Christians, through Him, sow the seed of the Gospel of salvation. It is the same seed unto salvation; some of His seed is not inferior so that some sinner's will not take root. The cardinal lesson of this passage is to teach us that various sinner's have different kinds of hearts or lives. Some are hardened more than others toward God because of their sins and rebellion. The great thing is that even some of the worst sinners turn from their sins. Vss. 4-7 typify the various kinds of sinner's lives who hear, understand and yet refuse Christ. Vs. 8 points to sinners who receive Jesus and yet some of these Christians during this lifetime yield more fruit than other saints. Notice, they all brought forth at least some fruit.

Only ONE heart produced faith - the 'good and noble' heart, as Luke reminds us. In your scenario, the vilest of sinners would be excluded and only the lesser sinner included. But Scripture lays all low - none seek after God, Rom.3:11. It is only those whom God has given a new heart who will truly repent and believe. When the gospel comes to such sinners, they gladly repent and believe. Why? Because they have 'good and noble hearts.'

The cardinal lesson is indeed that various sinner's have different kinds of hearts or lives. But not the difference you suggest. Not various degrees of wickedness and hardness is in view here, but rather the good and noble heart versus all the rest. From the darkest to the lightest sinner, none have good and noble hearts. Only those sinners whom God has given the good and noble heart.

The gospel comes to all sorts of hearts, but only one sort responds with faith. So either you say some men naturally have that good heart, or that God gives it to some. You seem to be saying the former when you say, God was not prejudicial toward any sinner, but their attitude toward the Lord decided their eternal destination and destiny. The seed {the Word of God} went out to all sinners, but their heart life, the seat of their affections, determined their response to Almighty God. Is that right? Do you believe it is man's natural heart that determines his response to the gospel?

In Him

Ian

2. Ian Major

Ian Major New Member

Dear Skandelon

Hope to return to your post later in the week. I'm delighted to say my daughter Sarah gave birth to a healthy baby boy at 00.15 this morning (Sunday, 25 July). Matthew Ian William Mullin weighed in at 7lb 10oz. and is our first grandchild. Sarah and Gregory praise God for His goodness to them.

In Him

Ian

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Congrats Ian on the grandson!! Our first grandchild was born in Antrim hospital up your way back in September!

4. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Ian,

You speak of God giving the elect a new heart. I know when Christ saves us He give to us the Spirit of God to indwell us. We must keep things in balance being reminded that we still have the old Adamic nature that can lead us away from the Lord. Some have called it imbred sin or the sin nature.

I have not read John Calvin, but have argued enough with some Calvinists to know the various beliefs that they have. Some believe that God passes by the non-elect while others say He willfully damns the the non-elect.

I never read Arminian as to what he believed. Our interest in Bible College in seminary was to exegete what God's Word had to say to us. I am not defending Arminian theology but merely explaining what the Lord has said in His sacred Word.

Ray

5. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Ian,

Congratulations on the first grandson. Good health to your daughter and the new boy.

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

As always, I look forward to our discussions, but spend as much time as you need and then some with that new baby. Congradulations to you and your family, I know you must be proud!

Talk to you again soon.

7. Ian Major

Ian Major New Member

Thank you Roger, Ray and Skandelon for your kind words. It has been a busy week, but things are well settled now and all are basking in the joy of God's goodness to us.

In Him

Ian

8. Ian Major

Ian Major New Member

Ray Berrian said
    You speak of God giving the elect a new heart. I know when Christ saves us He give to us the Spirit of God to indwell us. We must keep things in balance being reminded that we still have the old Adamic nature that can lead us away from the Lord. Some have called it imbred sin or the sin nature.

Yes, even as new creations we are not yet complete. God has chosen to allow our sinful natures to co-exist with the new man, and given us the task of overcoming it. As soldiers of Christ we are in a war that permits no discharge, until the day He appoints for our home-call. The assurance we have, however, is that we shall never perish - hell has no plot so devious and no harm so powerful as to remove us from the Shepherd's hand. Though we fall, we shall rise again. God will make us stand, Rom.14:4.

I have not read John Calvin, but have argued enough with some Calvinists to know the various beliefs that they have. Some believe that God passes by the non-elect while others say He willfully damns the the non-elect.

The latter sentence accurately reflects one of the differences amongst Calvinists. But let me caution you, Ray, that all who hold non-Arminian beliefs are not Calvinists. In your posts here you have stated things as Calvinism that no Calvinist would hold. Just last night I met a brother who said his key objection to Calvinism was its doctrine of Once Saved, Always Saved and the godless lives of folks holding that. I had to inform him that Calvinism teaches the Perseverance of the Saints - that those who practice sin are not and never were saints. The true saint will be disciplined by God for his sin and restored, or removed from his sin by death. God will not allow us to be condemned with the world, 1 Cor.11:32.

I never read Arminian as to what he believed. Our interest in Bible College in seminary was to exegete what God's Word had to say to us. I am not defending Arminian theology but merely explaining what the Lord has said in His sacred Word.

That's the only doctrine worth heeding. If we are more interested in defending any system of theology rather than the Word of God, then we are rebels against God. His Word is our standard, and our struggles to better understand it must be just that - to understand IT.

In Him

Ian