1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 Thessalonians 2:6-7

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by McCree79, Nov 16, 2015.

1. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The restraining/binding of 2 Thessalonians 2:6-7, Matthew 12:25-32 and Revelation 20:1-3; are these referring to the same event? I purposed they were last week in my Thessalonian Seminary class. Which I thought would provoke debate.....it didn't. It seemed to be widely accepted even though no one had considered it that way. What are your thoughts?

Vast majority of the class is Pre-mill. Which why I thought there would be a debate. Linking the 3 together really promotes the A-mill view.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is important (imo) that each of these passages be viewed from the perspective of the literal return of Christ.

The Matthew passage is most important because it specifies that the "kingdom of God" is established by the authority of Him and the Spirit of God, together. Often the "kingdom" is considered the church or the reign, but this is not the use given here by Matthew. Matthew records the Lord Jesus Christ saying, "But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you."

So, when will BOTH the Lord Jesus Christ and the Spirit of God reside again? Only during the literal millennium. Such a kingdom is displayed in Revelation 20, and prior to that display what is described in 2 Thessalonians.

Linking the three together does not support the A-mil view. Rather, it clearly disarms and dismisses that view as not Scripturally sound.

3. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you agree that the Kingdom of God was present on Earth when Jesus made that statement in Matthew?
    It would have to if Jesus was casting out demons then, no?

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that without a doubt the three verses are all teaching the same truth.

In O.T.' times God's people were found almost entirely in Israel. Elsewhere, the 'strong man, fully armed' guarded his own palace (Luke 11:21-22). But now, on the cross, Christ has defeated Satan and is busy taking his goods from him. The Rider on the white horse (Rev. 6:2) has gone out, conquering and to conquer, sacking the borders of hell and freeing the prisoners. People all over the world are finding Christ and there's nothing Satan can do to stop them.

The Bible speaks of only two ages: this 'present evil age' and the age to come (eg. Matt. 12:32; Mark 10:30 etc., etc.). With the coming of Christ, the age to come has broken in upon the present age (Mark 1:15; Heb. 6:5 etc.) and the kingdom of God is constantly growing (Luke 16:16), but its fullness will not be experienced until our Lord returns.

But before that time, Satan will be released and go out to deceive the nations. Christian witness will lie dead in the street (Rev. 11:7-10) and the secularists and other enemies of God will rejoice and send each other presents just like the modern Christmas. Also, secular forces will oppress Christ's people and make it hugely difficult for anyone to practise Christianity (Rev. 13:7ff). But thankfully this time will not last long (Rev. 20:3, 9) and the age to come will be the age that is in all its fullness (Rev. 11:15).

5. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your input gentleman. It's nice to hear others thoughts on the verses.