1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 Tim 2:15

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by sister christian, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]English[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Spanish"[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]I love you[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Te amo.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]I really love the way you speak
    I really love the Spanish people[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Me encanta como hablas
    Me encantan los españoles[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]It was love at first sight[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]fue amor a primera vista[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]one good turn deserves another[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]amor con amor se paga[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]love potion[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]filtro de amor[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]To fall in love with someone.
    I fell madly in love with him[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]enamorarse de alguien
    me enamoré ciegamente de él [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]a lover[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]un amante[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]lovesick[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]enfermo de amor[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]love life[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]vida amorosa[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]unrequited love[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]amor no correspondido[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]he falls in love very easily[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]es muy enamoradizo[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Saint Valentine’s Day[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]el día de los enamorados[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]infatuation
    it was just a passing infatuation [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]enamoramiento
    no fue más que un enamoramiento pasajero [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]cupboard love[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]cariño interesado[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1](dale) recuerdos a tus padres (de mi parte)[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]give my love to your parents[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]puppy love [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]amor adolescente[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Note: At the end of a letter we often put "love" in English. This is how to do it in Spanish.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]love John [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]un abrazo, John[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]lots of love, John [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]un apretado abrazo, John;[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]all my love, John [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]con todo mi cariño, John"[/SIZE][/FONT]

For you Argentines and the "cracked up", is this an accepted rendering of English and Spansih concerning "love"?

#121 Salamander, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Your conjecture is typical hogwash.

There is no "KJVO" extremism as you'd like to say, but only the stand that the word "study" is correct where the simple "be diligent" is lacking to express what the passage says.

If holding to a full meaning on any passage is extreme, well, I'm EXTREME!:godisgood:

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I have an ambition that requires diligent study that I expect to aspire to reach that goal of the prize of the high mark of the calling of God.

Your conjecture is hogwash, again.

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Then it seems that "amor" has more an emotional meaning rather than a divine type of love and pity.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Based on what? Amor can have different meanings just like our english word "love" has different meanings. Context is the key.

6. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

You have perfectly illustrated the common misinterpretation of this verse. You have now synonomously substituted 'word of God' for "word of truth", and you imply that by 'word of God' you mean written scriptures (ie. the 'Bible'). Of course, the exact phrase "word of God" never exclusively refers to written scripture in the New Testament (one must extrapolate other constructions to derive 'word of God' as a term for written scripture). But "the word of truth" is certainly not any specific written scripture. The exact phrase "word of truth" is found just 3 other times in the KJV New Testament. It is apparent that the "word of truth" is the Gospel message (Colossians 1:3-6, KJV) --
    We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,
    Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love [which ye have] to all the saints,
    For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;
    Which is come unto you, as [it is] in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as [it doth] also in you, since the day ye heard [of it], and knew the grace of God in truth:​

A believer today could accurately give "the word of truth" without quoting a single verse of scripture. James 1:17,18 (KJV) --
    Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
    Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.​
    Matthew Henry states here that (his italics, my bold) --
    (3.) The means whereby this is affected are pointed out: the word of truth, that is, the gospel, as Paul expresses it more plainly, 1 Co. 4:15, I have begotten you in Jesus Christ through the gospel. This gospel is indeed a word of truth, or else it could never produce such real, such lasting, such great and noble effects. We may rely upon it, and venture our immortal souls upon it. And we shall find it a means of our sanctification as it is a word of truth, Jn. 17:17.​

Being approved as God's ministers "by the word of truth" is NOT the foremost thing in Paul's list, but rather seventh (2 Corinthians 6:4-7, KJV) --
    But in all [things] approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,
    In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings;
    By pureness,
    by knowledge,
    by longsuffering,
    by kindness,
    by the Holy Ghost,
    by love unfeigned,
    By the word of truth,
    by the power of God,
    by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, ​
    Paul could speak with apostolic authority, just as he was enabled by the Holy Spirit to write with authority.

#126 franklinmonroe, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Duh, really?

8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Convolutions

We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,
    Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love [which ye have] to all the saints,
    For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;
    Which is come unto you, as [it is] in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as [it doth] also in you, since the day ye heard [of it], and knew the grace of God in truth:

A believer today could accurately give "the word of truth" without quoting a single verse of scripture. James 1:17,18 (KJV) --

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
    Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
    Matthew Henry states here that (his italics, my bold) --

(3.) The means whereby this is affected are pointed out: the word of truth, that is, the gospel, as Paul expresses it more plainly, 1 Co. 4:15, I have begotten you in Jesus Christ through the gospel. This gospel is indeed a word of truth, or else it could never produce such real, such lasting, such great and noble effects. We may rely upon it, and venture our immortal souls upon it. And we shall find it a means of our sanctification as it is a word of truth, Jn. 17:17.​

Being approved as God's ministers "by the word of truth" is NOT the foremost thing in Paul's list, but rather seventh (2 Corinthians 6:4-7, KJV) --

But in all [things] approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,
    In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings;
    By pureness,
    by knowledge,
    by longsuffering,
    by kindness,
    by the Holy Ghost,
    by love unfeigned,
    By the word of truth,
    by the power of God,
    by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
    Paul could speak with apostolic authority, just as he was enabled by the Holy Spirit to write with authority.[/quote]

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny , I think your stance exemplifies it .

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Alrighty - I think we are going around the same circles and and a downward spiral is beginning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.